Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being Called ''Love''. Offensive?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

sparewheel wrote: »
    when anyone says love, hun, babez, honey anything like that i feel like stabbing them in the eye .. i hate it soo much ha

You need to do something about the anger -thems terms of affection.

Now other words like bitch ,ho etc they are the bad ones:)

All together now -DONT PATRONISE ME

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sparewheel

CDfm wrote: »
    You need to do something about the anger -thems terms of affection.

Now other words like bitch ,ho etc they are the bad ones:)

i dont have anger problems haha ... those words just grate on me soo much .. i even cringe when people use them .. id almost rather being called a bitch then babes haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Can't stand hun or babes, especially babes, really annoys me.. It's always scummy girls use that word. Also hate when lads younger than me call me 'kid'. I.e. I serve him a pint and he says "Thanks kid".. I'm 5 years ****ing older than you!!!

Don't mind being called love.

i dont have anger problems haha ...

If you say so ????? Perhaps a mild psychosis.

Maybe you and Dave147 can get group therapy

no dammit...they are just horrible sleezy irritating words

haha smarty! maybe the words should just be banned ?

• Advertisement

no dammit...they are just horrible sleezy irritating words

haha smarty! maybe the words should just be banned ?

They are the nice words and are terms of endearment and affection- in the same way that puppies and kittens are cute.

Its them other words that are the bad words except if you are creepy and believe in death metal or have aspergers etc.

We use them in ways the French use "tu" rather than the more formal "vous" in our culture as opposed to Miss/Mr/Mrs. So you might object to them as being over familiar.

What are your thoughts on "bugger" and "cock" in the North of England.Aren't you glad they did'nt cross the channel.

i know what your saying , i dont think there overfamiliar just irritating.
    i dont mind those words at all ha ..dont mind any other words in the english language except those so-called terms of endearment :D

i know what your saying , i dont think there overfamiliar just irritating.
    i dont mind those words at all ha ..dont mind any other words in the english language except those so-called terms of endearment :D

Don't worry about it love.

:mad: haha

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Do you find the word ''love'' offensive?

Given context handing back change to a girl ''thanks love here ya go''

?
    Much safer to like them rather than love them! As in:

"Thanks, like, here ya go." :D

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

hahaha true on so many levels hahaha

:mad: haha

Why so happy? next time use the green toothy one:D

esel wrote: »
    Much safer to like them rather than love them! As in:

"Thanks, like, here ya go." :D

Not really "like" is used when a person is unsure what to say.

Sparewheel might prefer "Thanks,bitch,here ya go" but ya couldnt say that to a nun.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Whoosh.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭masonman

pseudonym1 wrote: »
    Gosh - chill the hell out people! Love is an old school term of endearment attempt at affection and friendliness! Inherent part of this country's character - bloody hell people getting antsy about being called love shows modern misplaced judgement. IMO, Chill the hell out take it for what it is a term of expression without malice!

Now if it is said in an intentional patronising way - its a different story but any word in correct tone can sound that way.

+1

esel wrote: »
    Whoosh.

Like in Cork like.

Gosh - chill the hell out people! Love is an old school term of endearment attempt at affection and friendliness! Inherent part of this country's character - bloody hell people getting antsy about being called love shows modern misplaced judgement. IMO, Chill the hell out take

Now if it is said in an intentional patronising way - its a different story but any word in correct tone can sound that way.

Its an expression and often patronising is in the ears of the listener.IMHO its up to people who are offended with these terms to start addressing others in a more formal way. THat is the way to get rid of over familiarity.

If women want to be dealt with in a formal way then they should take the initiative and address others that way. If a bank teller calls me Sir I will respond with Miss.

The other alternative is a National Name Tag Campaign for Women (cos I hear no blokes complaining) that gives their preferred form of address.

Somehow I can't see Women going for the gender equivalent of "Hey Bollox" thats used in certain parts of the country as a form of greeting.

Sparewheel might prefer "Thanks,bitch,here ya go" but ya couldnt say that to a nun.

ye i wud indeed.:D..suits me prefectly haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Perhaps all those who take offense lack love!

All you need is ......Miz

• Advertisement

i doubt that very much

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

It doesn't bother me at all, I just see it as a term of endearment and friendliness. When someone is friendly to me it eally puts me in a good mood for the rest of the day. That said I don't like people being overly-familiar, but I wouldn't class "love" as being that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

i doubt that very much

Well there goes theory of not been breastfed then!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Jesus said ' love thy neighbour ' ?

Just dont use the word ' love ' while your loving her/ him ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Like Piste said it's a term of endearment to me, my Grandmother and other loved ones used/use it towards me.

I can see why it might upset people if it is used in a conscending/pervy/letchy way, (it really annoys me when old/pervy men say 'good girl' to me) but surely if the person who uses it is obviously using it in a positive upbeat way you realise they mean no offence?

I would only use it with people that I am friends with and would understand I am using it as a term of affection.

JaneyMc wrote: »

I can see why it might upset people if it is used in a conscending/pervy/letchy way, (it really annoys me when old/pervy men say 'good girl' to me) but surely if the person who uses it is obviously using it in a positive upbeat way you realise they mean no offence?

But how can you tell if someone means it to be lechy. Just say you buy a newspaper and the shop guy says thanks love thats OK. How can you tell if its positve or lechy from a stranger -barman or shopkeeper.

THe "good girl" bit - what would you be doing for strangers to be saying good girl to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

But how can you tell if someone means it to be lechy. Just say you buy a newspaper and the shop guy says thanks love thats OK. How can you tell if its positve or lechy from a stranger -barman or shopkeeper.

Their general demeanour. Their body language, the tone in their voice etc. The same as you would normally read people in any social situation.

The "good girl" bit - what would you be doing for strangers to be saying good girl to you.

In work, it's only happened twice in my current job, but it used to happen a lot in my previous one. Other non work situations but that's not nearly as often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭nevershutsup

my first thought on the topic is yes i would find it offensive....

then i thought of how many times i say it in everyday use...

bit bad of me then to find it offensive...

JaneyMc wrote: »
    Their general demeanour. Their body language, the tone in their voice etc. The same as you would normally read people in any social situation.

In work,

So the good girl thing was work. Any chance of an age gap or did you just find it patronising. Guys get told Good lad all the time and it could be taken as a work compliment or less formal acknowledgement or thank you.

But the love thing - analysing the body language etc -thats a bit heavy. You arent a mond reader and can easily get it wrong. We live in a less formal society and unless you take the leap and start addressing everyone as "Sir" "Ma'M" "Mr"and "Miss" in a formal way you are going to be addrerssed informally and get that. Do you address people formally as some people especially older people prefer it and would have used it to keep the over familiarity thing you dislike away ?

Do you address people formally at work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Oh I absolutely despise use of the words: "hon", "honey", "sweetheart", "sweetie", "babe", "darling", "love",
    "loveen", "petal" or any variations of these. It's in my mind almost rude to address someone you barely know in such terms. A girl of about 16 in my local super valu calls me(and other customers) "sweetheart". It's headwrecking and I consciously go to another till just to avoid this. Yuck.

Advertisement