Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being Called ''Love''. Offensive?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Alessandra wrote: »
    A girl of about 16 in my local super valu calls me(and other customers) "sweetheart". It's headwrecking and I consciously go to another till just to avoid this. Yuck.

I agree -but she may think its very grown up.

What about the use of the word "bitch" - Ive stopped using it totally as I could never get it right - but female friends use it all the time and Ive asked I was told its contextual and tonal and versatile. So it is perjorative- unless used by a laddette.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

CDfm wrote: »
    Somehow I can't see Women going for the gender equivalent of "Hey Bollox" thats used in certain parts of the country as a form of greeting.
    CDfm wrote: »
    What about the use of the word "bitch" - Ive stopped using it totally as I could never get it right - but female friends use it all the time and Ive asked I was told its contextual and tonal and versatile. So it is perjorative- unless used by a laddette.

Same kinda point maybe?

Blokes might say "hey bollox" to each other, women might say "hey bitch" to each other if they were very familiar, but sometimes when it comes to gender specific "insults" it can come out wrong from the wrong gender.

There is one exception tho :D, but it's not for polite company :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I personally find things like 'babe', 'chick' etc more offensive. Well...not offensive as such, but just annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

Only recently my friend pointed out to me that I tend to call all children 'love'. I'd actually never noticed it before, but it's true. I babysit quite often and regularly call all the kids 'love' - nothing more than a term of endearment and the fact that while I can remember names well if I'm asked, I generally can't think of them so fast.

I call all my friends who are girls 'hun' all the time, and 'love' occasionally, and I call very close male friends 'hun' or 'darling'... which could be construed as patronising, I guess, if I didn't know them well enough...

And as for being called love/hun/sweetie, I find it very welcoming and familiar. To me, it's just as pleasant as somebody smiling at you. I'd ten times rather a person at the till saying 'Have a nice day, love' with a smile than sullenly handing me back my change as though my very existence was a chore to them. But that's just me.

I also tend to smile at random people I don't know, and wish people a nice day/happy Christmas/happy new year - is this too presuming/patronising?

Advertisement