Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Document Guidelines

Options
  • 05-01-2009 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

I plan my document to be a french film (yay for subtitles!). I'm not exactly the most fluent person, as in I can barely string a sentence together type fluency, so I plan to learn off something to work off in the oral, so I'm not sitting there saying eh, eh, ummm, J'adore <insert film title> :confused:.

SO, my question is, does anyone have any idea what sort of questions could be asked in the actual oral on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

I plan my document to be a french film (yay for subtitles!). I'm not exactly the most fluent person, as in I can barely string a sentence together type fluency, so I plan to learn off something to work off in the oral, so I'm not sitting there saying eh, eh, ummm, J'adore <insert film title> :confused:.

SO, my question is, does anyone have any idea what sort of questions could be asked in the actual oral on it?

I will make up a couple for you! If you want a translation then ask me!

1.Pourquoi avez-vous choisi ce document?
    2.Qui est sur le document?
    3.Pourqoui avez-vous pris ce document?
    4.Que se passe-t-il sur le document?

These are quite general questions.

Hope it helps.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jiggy

Well dude a mate of mine brought in the Three Little Pigs for his and learned off the story in French and got asked if the image of the pigs killing a wolf bad for children.... yeah kinda shows the curve-balls they can throw at you.

If you go with a film they can well ask a lot, myself im going with a poster for anti smoking , they can only ask me on smoking the power of media and health.

My advice pick an object you have a few good solid phrases for and well think of every possible question and get a few broad general answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

JSK 252 wrote: »
    1.Pourquoi avez-vous choisi ce document?
    2.Qui est sur le document?
    3.Pourqoui avez-vous pris ce document? ( kinda the same as the first question but make sure to use etre in the passe compose! )
    4.Que se passe-t-il sur le document?

Thanks! :D
    From what I can gather they mean:
    (Please correct me if I'm wrong!)
    1. Why did you choose the document?
    2. Who is on the document... as in Who's in the film?!
    3. Why'd you choose it?
    4. What happens in the film?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Thanks! :D
    From what I can gather they mean:
    (Please correct me if I'm wrong!)
    1. Why did you choose the document?
    3. Why'd you choose it?
    4. What happens in the film?!

Yup!

Jiggy wrote: »
    Well dude a mate of mine brought in the Three Little Pigs for his and learned off the story in French and got asked if the image of the pigs killing a wolf bad for children.... yeah kinda shows the curve-balls they can throw at you.

If you go with a film they can well ask a lot, myself im going with a poster for anti smoking , they can only ask me on smoking the power of media and health.

My advice pick an object you have a few good solid phrases for and well think of every possible question and get a few broad general answers

My teacher is adament we pick films, and anything remotely abstract she won't help us with because one super genious last year picked some old French band and the examiner didn't like it, she marked him well, just she complained about him :rolleyes:. So OL are going in with pictures, HL are going in with films. There is no arguing with her. :(

I'm thinking about doing Chocolat, even though it's not technically French, because my options in my teachers book are Amelie or some war film. All the girls will do Amelie, and it will look so practised and silly, and seeing as I will be near the end of the list, I'll be likely to get the weird questions. She'll be sick and tired of hearing about it.

But Chocolat could involve questions about religion and the power of the church (so don't want to get into that) and about moving children around too much... I want to talk about the benefits of Chocolate dammit! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

doing mine on Roy Keane... i guess i could have chosen an easier topic but oh well, its all done and dusted by this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

amy winehouse...........:)
    choose her and you can talk about drugs and what have you

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Just to clarify in case your confused, which you mightn't be at all! Even if your doing a film, you still have to bring an actual physical document in to the oral with you, so that question would be about who is in the picture(presumably) that you've chosen to represent the film, screenshot or dvd cover or something would do the job!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

That could be a tricky one.

Could ask anything tbh.

When was that film released?
    What did you think of it?
    What actors are in it?
    What Genre is it?
    How did you hear about it?
    Do you watch many french films? If so which ones?
    If its anyway violent etc you could get asked stuff about that.

He / She will then prob move into talking about Entertainment in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭lorna100

I'm doing a holiday, its what our school recommends to do. Did out one on weightlifting and was told that there wasn't enough scope in it - at least for a holiday you can talk about so much - the country, the language, the flight, accomidation, activities food, nightlife, friends, culture, currency etc.

I've prepared quite a bit on it and I'm hoping I've covered most of the tricky questions they can ask.

Be careful with the picture you bring in too.. a student a few years ago did a holiday to london and brought in a picture of the changing of the guards at buckingham palace, the examiner asked her who they were and what their role is, poor girl!

Really hope I'm not caught out, if I am i'm pretty fooked!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Why are you guys doing a document in the oral exam as a matter of interest?

Us hardcore frenchies don't bother with that rubbish :cool: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

I brought in a picture of Myself , Brian O'Driscoll and Kieth Woods.

Got Asked

Who are they?
    What do they do?
    Where was that?
    What where they like?
    What was the place like?
    What was the day like?
    How did you manage to meet them , like the both of them at the same time?
    Who was with you?

Then I managed to jump into Sports. Was not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I think I'm going to bring in a picture of me and my boyfriend getting married at the inflatable church at Electric Picnic last year. Don't think there'll be too many of them!

banjopaul wrote: »
    Just to clarify in case your confused, which you mightn't be at all! Even if your doing a film, you still have to bring an actual physical document in to the oral with you, so that question would be about who is in the picture(presumably) that you've chosen to represent the film, screenshot or dvd cover or something would do the job!:)

Oh I know, but thanks anyway! I'll probably just use the dvd cover or something!
    Piste wrote: »
    I think I'm going to bring in a picture of me and my boyfriend getting married at the inflatable church at Electric Picnic last year. Don't think there'll be too many of them!

No, I don't imagine so!

I went to Barcelona in April with the TY's, on a student exchange (It is possible to get the basics of spanish down in about 6 hours of classes, should you need to! French is ridiculously hard in comparison :(). I asked my teacher about bringing in a photo from that, because you can pretty much guarantee a question on why you went to Spain when you don't study Spanish/do study French. Thought it'd be a little different to the usual, "this is me in France last Summer" type photo. She said, No, do Chocolat, it'll be better. She's quite set in her ways to say the least....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

I'd planned on just bringing in a photo of my hols in French........

Is that too basic?! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Just a word of warning- your document can't have any english on it.
    I know this may SEEM obvious, but I prepared THIS: http://www.peta2.com/stuff/page/200_april_77_winner.jpg last year and the morning of the oral found out I couldn't use it. panic, panic, panic!
    Seemed good, it let me talk about animal rights (somethingI cared for a lot more last year), Russell Lissack (He's in bloc party) etc etc.

Panic.

So yeah, my teacher never told me i couldn't use it.. the examiner did. That day. The STRESS.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

We were told not to bother with a document as the examiner wont really pay much heed to what you are saying as they know that you have it learned off. We were told that to get high marks you have to be able to respond effectively to those abstract questions that they sometimes ask.

bythewoods wrote: »
    I know this may SEEM obvious, but I prepared THIS: http://www.peta2.com/stuff/page/200_april_77_winner.jpg last year and the morning of the oral found out I couldn't use it. panic, panic, panic!

Panic.

So yeah, my teacher never told me i couldn't use it.. the examiner did. That day. The STRESS.

What did you do?! :(
    We were told not to bother with a document as the examiner wont really pay much heed to what you are saying as they know that you have it learned off. We were told that to get high marks you have to be able to respond effectively to those abstract questions that they sometimes ask.

AFAIK, they are trying to increase the numbers bringing in a document, so I reckon the examiner will listen. And as someone has pointed out, they can throw curveballs at you, even if you have prepared some stuff.
    aine-maire wrote: »
    I'd planned on just bringing in a photo of my hols in French........

Is that too basic?! :(

Nope, loads of people take in photos. Just be prepared for any possible question, and it'll be fine. They just want you to communicate effectively. That's what we're being told anyway! :D

Advertisement