Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Considering an upgrade from an Aygo

Options
  • 06-01-2009 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

My little Toyota Aygo is flying along, just been serviced and is looking fine under the bonnet. Its an 06 and just out of warranty now. I'm starting to get the itch to move on to something newer and a little more spacious and comfortable on the inside.

However like the rest of us, I'm not carrying around bags of cash.

SO.. Please don't give me abuse for this.. blame the recession... I'm looking at getting a 07 or 08 Yaris.

I cant afford to look trendy. My manliness is shot because Im a primary teacher who drives an Aygo, and besides, Im getting married this year so I won't be hanging out the window with my shades on banging the door at fit jogging ladies anytime soon.

In short.. I need something with a bigger boot, 5 seats, 4 doors and radio controls on the steering wheel (give me something ok?). I also need to know its not going to conk out on me randomly and it'll be lean on fuel. I'd be enclined to go for the 1.3 petrol model.

I like Toyotas and I have very little to spend. It all points to the Yaris.

Should I try to sell the Aygo for cash and then walk into a dealer with my wad of money plus whatever the credit union can spare?

Or should I chance trading in the Aygo through a Toyota dealership?

I'd hope to add maybe 4k to what I'd get for the Aygo and do my best on a Yaris with low milage.

Has anyone any advice? Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭spree

I got an 1.0L 04 Yaris about 2 months ago, had an old old Micra, a whole lot better on fuel, find it very roomy interior well in the front anyway. Dont know what the boot in the Aygo is like, but the Yaris boot is quite small although the entire back seat slides forward to give extra boot space which means you loose the leg room in the back.
    If your going for a used car would a four door not be better.
    As for trading the Aygo in or selling it yourself not sure with the way things are at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

spree wrote: »
    I got an 1.0L 04 Yaris about 2 months ago, had an old old Micra, a whole lot better on fuel, find it very roomy interior well in the front anyway. Dont know what the boot in the Aygo is like, but the Yaris boot is quite small although the entire back seat slides forward to give extra boot space which means you loose the leg room in the back.
    If your going for a used car would a four door not be better.
    As for trading the Aygo in or selling it yourself not sure with the way things are at the moment.

Thanks.. Im strongly thinking about it. Do you think the central speed display is ok? Yeah its a 4 door Im after. I made a mistake there, thanks for mentioning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,249 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think parting with €4k and your Aygo is very optimystic to be honest even for a Yaris. I reckon it will cost you alot more than that as dealers don't want trade-ins. Selling your car privately is also proving very difficult at the moment, someone had an Aygo on adverts.ie for ages and I don't know if he even managed to sell it in the end.

I think it will only be worth your while if you want something bigger to go up to a Corolla or similar size car. I cannot imagine there would be a very huge amount of difference in size between an Aygo and Yaris to justify the expenditure to be honest.

Either be prepared to spend more or keep what you have I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Not to be a smart arse, but can't teachers get preferential finance based on future pay grade increases....points to an Auris diesel....you'd probably be looking more like 14k with the Aygo.....and I'd say maybe 8 with the Aygo for a 08 Yaris.

If going for a Yaris get a Luna or Sol. The Terra and Strata have less airbags, are down the mp3 compatibility and don't have height adjustable drivers seat.

The 1.3 CDTi Corsa is supposed to be a cracker for a small diesel and is in band A/B in specs Club and Life/Design and SXI respectively.

The Design is the best spec whereas the SXI is "supposed to be" sporty

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Opel/Corsa/1.3TD-DE/200846190853371/advert

Drive one....and there isn't that much difference in the 1l to 1.3 Yaris unless you do a lot of motorway miles, it's fine up to 120km/h.

Edit the 1.2 Corsa (excluding SXI) is in band B too...so a little more choice:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Opel/Corsa/Design-,/200843190598173/advert

ninty9er wrote: »
    Not to be a smart arse, but can't teachers get preferential finance based on future pay grade increases....

Yeah there are some bits and pieces we can get but I don't want to have to deal with the repayments on a bigger loan on top of my mortgage. I'd be looking at borrowing as little as possible to get the minimum I'm after. The rates we'd get from anyone for being a teacher still don't match what I could get from Tesco loans or a few others.

I'll check out that corsa though. Would they be as reliable as the Yaris is the only thing.

• Advertisement

Trotter wrote: »
    I'll check out that corsa though. Would they be as reliable as the Yaris is the only thing.
    The 1l Corsa is to be given a wide berth unless you have a wish of death from boredom, but the 1.2 is grand or the 1.3 diesel (A FIAT diesel I think from the GM/FIAT collaboration of recent years....is supposed to be one of the best out there).

There aren't really any unreliable cars any more, just some more reliable than others. The Corsa shouldn't leave you down if you're planning on changing again in 2-3 years.

The clutch however will take some time to get used to coming out of a Toyota. You actually have to press the clutch in an Opel as opposed to tapping it in Toyotas. You'll need to leave it out a good bit before you hit the "bite" when you test drive.

Remember though, avoid the SXI for the petrol and avoid the Life and Club for the diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Have you looked at a Fiesta? Or even Fusion? (AC, Alloys, 1.4 engine, big boot and radio controls on the wheel by default)

I havent really looked at anything other than the Toyotas. I'll go have a look at the other ones though.

I looked at a Yaris Luna, and it was very nice. I'll have to think hard.

I had another look at the luna today. Im gonna hold off for a decent 07 to turn up on carzone and then see am I stupid enough to hock myself up for the loan.. well.. add it to the big post grad student loan I have already.

I think the luna is very comfortable inside due to the adjustable seating position and the central console is actually a lot easier to manage than I thought.

All of the 07 Lunas seem to be around the 12500 mark. If a garage marks a car at 12500 and says they'll give 6k for mine.. what would I push them to on a good day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Grande Punto. Big step up from an Aygo.
    Remainder of 4 year warranty left and dealers are looking to do deals.

• Advertisement

I had another look at the luna today. Im gonna hold off for a decent 07 to turn up on carzone and then see am I stupid enough to hock myself up for the loan.. well.. add it to the big post grad student loan I have already.

I think the luna is very comfortable inside due to the adjustable seating position and the central console is actually a lot easier to manage than I thought.

All of the 07 Lunas seem to be around the 12500 mark. If a garage marks a car at 12500 and says they'll give 6k for mine.. what would I push them to on a good day?

If they'll give 6k for yours I'd spend about 20 minutes trying to get another €750 off and bite their hand off 2-3 days later if they don't play ball or immediately if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Your mistake is that you are only looking at Toyotas! You should be looking at ALL cars in that class. I think the Grande Punto could be a good option as stated above which would be within your price range. You could also look at VW polo.

su_dios wrote: »
    Your mistake is that you are only looking at Toyotas! You should be looking at ALL cars in that class. I think the Grande Punto could be a good option as stated above which would be within your price range. You could also look at VW polo.

I just have a "thing" for Toyotas. I've never had an ounce of trouble with my own, and my Dad has been driving them for years without hassle. I suppose I just trust Toyotas more than Fiat.

Whats so good about the Grande Punto? I hear the word Punto usually in the same sentence as 'Head Gasket'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I hear the word Punto usually in the same sentence as 'Head Gasket'.

Harsh

only happens because some of the people who buy them think you should shift up from first at 6,000RPM

and i bet most of those cars where pre 01 bought for less then €2k ( ive seen a 01 sell for this from a dealer - not even a trade sale)

But you really get a lot for your money - and the ones from 06 onwards are pretty good to look at too. Which means you can be Very picky if you have the time to look around

All done!

I landed a 06 Yaris Luna today with 18k miles on it for €4500 with my own car.

Its a lovely little thing, especially for the driver. Lots of little things to play with and feels very sturdy.

Thanks for all the tips.

All the best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,249 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not a bad deal, well wear with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

That is a bargain I was gonna throw Honda Jazz out there

Advertisement