Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed trap - Port tunnel?

Options
  • 06-01-2009 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi,

Just noticed today going through the Port Tunnel (northbound) a notice on one of the displays saying that speed cameras had been installed and to slow down to 80. Has anyone been issued with a ticket here yet or are they just operating on the same principle as the speed detectors in some urban areas/on certain parts of the M50. As far as I can recall there was quite recently someone on the radio (Hook or Last word, cant remember) who said they didnt have speed cameras on the tunnel yet,

Cheers,

Jack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I believe they have devices which can monitor your speed; but as they're not the guards, they can't do anything with the info.

Chocolate teapot cameras...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭jack24

Thought that might be the case alright, certainly slows the trafic down though, saw them in action today again and it had an effect...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭markpb

The sign says 'Garda checks in operation, speed limit is 80 kph' so I assumed the Gardai are checking the vehicles using the tunnel, not the speed itself.

As an aside, they have cameras that measure your average speed through the tunnel. There was talk of sharing the information with the Gardai so speeders could be fined but I never heard anything come of it.

Advertisement