Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Leaf

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows

Through a combination of letters and telegraphs the story of a literary society born in German-occupied Guernsey is brought to life. A little slow at first, there were some genuine laugh-aloud moments, and the odd tearful one too. Although quite predictable, an enjoyable read.

Recommended.

Testimony of an Irish Slave Girl - Kate McCafferty

It took a long time to get to the point where I enjoyed this novel, but it was quite an interesting look at an Irish slave in Barbados, and the implications of her stubbornness.

Not sure if I'd recommend it, but it was interesting, once I got to a point that I actually cared a little. Unfortunately, that point came late.

Mr Toppit - Charles Elton

A nicely turned tale about a man who is killed in a freak accident, and the implications for his family of the posthumous fame he receives for novels written and published before his death.

Recommended.

The Girl Who Played With Fire - Steiner Larsson

Second in the Millennium Trilogy, and definitely not a disappointment! I'm anxiously anticipating the third installment now.

Definitely recommended.

Blush_01 wrote: »
    The Girl Who Played With Fire - Steig Larsson

Second in the Millennium Trilogy, and definitely not a disappointment! I'm anxiously anticipating the third installment now.

Definitely recommended.

Eh, I have no idea how I typed his name incorrectly, must have been having a bit of a dizzy moment! I've amended it in the quote, my post is too old to edit at this stage unfortunately!

The Forgotten Garden - Kate Morton

I really, really enjoyed this - recommended by a good friend, it was a good mix of easy reading and nicely turned tale. I found it quite engaging and interesting. Worth a look if you usually read chick lit and are looking for something a little deeper (but not much), or if you want something easy to amuse you on holiday. It's pretty transparent most of the time, but the edge of mystery adds a little intrigue.

Recommended.

• Advertisement

At a Time Like This - Catherine Dunne

Four best friends since college look back on incidents that occurred as the 25th anniversary of their friendship looms. However, there's a twist in the tale - especially for one of the unsuspecting foursome.

Not a bad read at all, I thought it would be much worse.

Recommended for the beach.

The Secret History - Donna Tartt

Fantastic story, narrated by the most recent addition to a group of intellectually elitist students who are somewhat of a law unto themselves, leading to two deaths.

I enjoyed The Little Friend more, however, it was still a wonderful novel.

Recommended.

A Small Part Of Me - Noelle Harrisson

A woman (whose family and friends doubt her mental stability) takes her son and travels from Ireland to North America in search of her biological mother who she believes to have abandoned her while still a small child.

Enjoyable, a bit of a twist at the end.

Recommended.

Crazy As Chocolate - Elisabeth Hyde

As the youngest member of a family approaches 41 the family meet to celebrate her birthday and the story unfolds of her mother's suicide on her 41st birthday.

Interesting.

Recommended.

The Adultery Club - Tess Stimson

Not as awful as I expected. Quite enjoyable in parts. Light reading though - don't expect too much of it.

Recommended.

• Advertisement

The Alphabet Sisters - Monica McInerney

A rift in a family is put right by three feuding sisters, only to have things torn apart again when a beloved family member becomes ill.

I laughed aloud, and I cried a lot. Not bad!

Recommended.

The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger.

Word of advice - if you want to see the movie and read the book don't read the book first, otherwise you'll be sorely disappointed.

Fantastic novel, very enjoyable and slightly different. Well worth reading and re-reading.

Recommended.

Atonement - Ian McEwan

Fantastic, very vivid without being gorey, nicely told. Very touching.

Recommended.

The Raw Shark Texts - Steven Hall

Very original and enjoyable. When Eric Sanderson wakes up with no memory he finds a letter addressed to himself from " The First Eric Sanderson". Explores the power of thought and its corruption as a part of intellectual evolution. Maybe it was just my frame of mind of the time, but it felt a little Big Brother-y at times.

Recommended.

American Wife - Curtis Sittenfeld

Loosely based on Laura and George Bush (very loosely!), it makes for very interesting reading.

Recommended.

The Weight of Water - Anita Shreve

Interesting, but not as good as I had hoped.

Not bad for light reading.

The Other Hand - Chris Cleve

I can't say I hated this book - but I definitely didn't love it. The blurb on the back asked that you don't "ruin" the book for other people by discussing what happens in it, but I think that's possibly because most of it is so trite and hackneyed that they don't want to discourage you from buying it in the first place.

I couldn't recommend it.

Plain Truth - Jodi Picoult

Interesting, very typically what I expected, but enjoyable.

Recommended (if you're into that kind of read).

The First Assistant - Clare Naylor and Mimi Hare.

Ok, I'll be really honest - I bought a box set of "summer reading" books through a book club in work, and I'm gradually making my way through it. There are 10 books in total in the collection. Although a little bit of the literary snob in me is appalled at the fact I (a) purchased them for myself, (b) am reading them and (c) am enjoying them as the light entertainment that they are, I have to say they're altogether not bad.

The First Assistant was entertaining, if nothing new and extraordinary. The main character is likable, funny and heartwarming, and overall the book was enjoyable and amusing.

Recommended.

The Last Anniversary - Liane Moriarty

Set on an island in Australia, each of the characters is tangled up in the aftermath of an unusual mystery which has shaped their lives. Cute and enjoyable.

Recommended.

• Advertisement

Bitter Sweets - Roopa Farouki

They say that the sins of the father (or in this case mother) are visited on the child. Interesting, lighthearted and simple tale of how one lie can spiral out of control and have a knock on effect on generations to follow.

Recommended.

Recipes for a Perfect Marriage - Kate Kerrigan

Charming tale of a grandmother and granddaugher whose shared love of cooking helps them to survive romantic difficulties and learn what true love really is. (Some recipes included, which is nice.)

Recommended.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell - Susanna Clarke

Between my Farmville addiction and pure laziness, I haven't been reading as much - it took me the best part of a fortnight to read the first quarter of this book, but once I got into it, I found it difficult to put down.

Interesting, not the most original but clever use of non-standardised English spellings makes it feel much more realistic. I often stopped, gobsmacked, thinking that someone's brain shaped what I was reading, that it wasn't an account of events that really took place. Yes, it is obvious fiction, but it is enjoyable fiction, and despite being thoroughly implausible, there is a strange ring of truth throughout.

Recommended.

Sisters-in-Law - Nina Bell

Not particularly imaginative, not particularly well written, not particularly enjoyable.

Not particularly recommended.

The Cement Garden - Ian McEwan

Very good, quite short but definitely sucks you in.

Four children lose their father, and then their mother in pretty rapid succession. In an attempt to keep some stability in their lives they play at being a normal family, however they are anything but. In the gross heat of summer with the school holidays in full swing, real life bites - hard.

Recommended.

Good Harbour - Anita Diamant

The last of the 10 books mentioned above, not too bad, quite enjoyable.

Recommended.

Should have updated this before Christmas, my apologies.

Advertisement