Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those of you with birds, and other critters?

Options
  • 06-01-2009 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what other bird owners do when they have to go away or they want to go on hols, with their birds. Do you find it easy to get a bird minder in, or do you have reluctant rellies willing to give a hand?

We're lucky atm to have great neighbours but we hope to be moving eventually and one down side is that we'll have to find a new pet minder for out birds (one needs medication daily) and our two guineapigs. The dogs are easy just plonk them in the kennels, but I find when it comes to birds some people are nervous of them, even animal lovers so that topped with the fact one needs medication it's going to be tricky.

So what do you do when you have to go off somewhere and you're birds need someone to pop in and feed and entertain them of course.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

We can only go away when someone comes to stay in the house. We took the opportunity of going to England for a few days over Christmas as my sister was home from abroad. I wouldn't trust (or afford) a pet sitter in the house nor could I trust a neighbour to lock up properly. The last time I was away anywhere before that trip to England was july 07. This is something a lot of people don't consider now when they have to have that fashionable pygmie hedgehog, bearded dragon, labradoodle etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

My aunt has birds herself so when I am going away I leave mine with her (in their own cages). I trust her 100%. The birds always come home with a full repertoire of whistles too! (I can't whistle lol).

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Skadi

We have fish (in an outside pond) and a chipmunk. My parents-in-law call down a few times and feed the fish, and we add those holiday ball fish food for them. The chipmunk lives in the greenhouse, which is watered automatically for a hour once a day. We just leave him a good supply of nuts and seeds (as well as the plants growing which he likes to nibble at), and they check on him too and give him a little more.

Advertisement