Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nigel Hall Grafton Street Sale Rip off

Options
  • 06-01-2009 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭

Doing my annual Winter Sale browsing today. Nigel Hall in Grafton Street quote their prices in € and £ on the labels. The exchange rate differential is 30%. WTF:mad:. They have reduced the prices on the sale items to the Sterling amount plus €1.00.
    So if the old price is €180/£125 the sale price is €126. But the exchange rate is now 0.94 so the savings are just 5% when compared to the UK high street.
    And this is just for the items they want to clear. Everything else is new season stock and is 30% more than the UK.
    I think they reckon the Irish are stupid.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

If people are willing to pay...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I'm just back from London myself and it was lovely to be paying the STG prices, and a lot of shops had 70% off sales too (Gap, Next, etc.)
    Think I'll have to go over UKwards in future for clothes shopping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Doing my annual Winter Sale browsing today. Nigel Hall in Grafton Street quote their prices in € and £ on the labels. The exchange rate differential is 30%. WTF:mad:. They have reduced the prices on the sale items to the Sterling amount plus €1.00.
    So if the old price is €180/£125 the sale price is €126. But the exchange rate is now 0.94 so the savings are just 5% when compared to the UK high street.
    And this is just for the items they want to clear. Everything else is new season stock and is 30% more than the UK.
    I think they reckon the Irish are stupid.

30% is quite generous considering in a few months they could be selling that same stock with an the official exchange rate being £ = €1.35-€1.40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

. But the exchange rate is now 0.94 so the savings are just 5% when compared to the UK high street.

And this morning the exchange rate is .91, in October it was .82, in september it was .77, last week it was .98 for a couple of hours and next week it may be .87 and by the end of this year it will probably be back at .80

add in bank commission & rate margin and you will be lucky to get .88 today as a retail customer in a bank.

Advertisement