Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

best time ever to buy a luxury barge!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Lovely car, but a W116 Mercedes might be a slightly safer bet.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

kbannon wrote: »

Jaysus, I might bring forward my plans by a year or so if they are going for that price. About €5500 VRT, so around 15K landed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Anan1 wrote: »
    Lovely car, but a W116 Mercedes might be a slightly safer bet.;)

6.9L v8!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

biko wrote: »
    Road tax is killing barges when >3L = €1566
    You will have paid the entire car price in a few years.

Although it makes green sense so I'm for it.

I know you think that, and, having bought several nice smaller cars over the years, for reasons just like that, I understand where you're coming from.

Then I got a look at an old 944 turbo a friend bought........and the gears started turning.......mmmm, cheap, cheap insurance, crappy tax......but no depreciation and no car payments.

So I started looking.........and ended up with this:

387377977_htgzv-L.jpg

Without a shadow of a doubt, it is the motoring bargain of the century.

Goddamn enormous tax, yes, but what other expense is there ? I have no car payments or finance (as I sold an 4-mth old Galaxy Zetec Tdci to finance it). So if servicing costs cancel one another out from one car to another, and instead of paying Eur 600 p.m. finance............I'm not paying anything like what an 'ordinary' car costs. The hit I took on the Galaxy (bad and all as it was), was still the right thing to do. Especially in light of 40-watts VRT loo-lah since........:rolleyes:

Previously, costs p.a. were:
    Galaxy Tdci / Porsche 968
    Depreciation - 4500 / 900 ?
    Tax - 550 / 1290
    Fuel - 660 6.6l/100km / 1000 12l/100km
    Insurance - 600 / 600

Total - 6310 (525 p.m.) / 3790 (315 p.m.)

So, running my 968 costs me 40% less than an 07 Galaxy 1.8Tdci, big tax included.

I'm glad I worked that out, actually :)

Now, that's all very well, and then you go mad..............and, er, end up with, er.......2, as you do, like........

Oops ! :o:o:o

450594186_6naxb-L.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Same goes for a 1.4 car selling for €1000 - three years road tax @ €320 and you've pretty much paid it the same amount as well. Road tax is just one part of the equation. It doesn't make green sense either, but that's another debate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ninty9er wrote: »
    Indeed on the price, but I'll take my chances and see if it's there when I graduate to the real world:(:(

Where's Mike65....his A6 has been on its last legs wheels for AAAGES now, he might like this thread.:)

Its still going and as I'm financially embarrassed this weather no change for the forseeable future I'm afraid.

Alfasudcrazy - its WHITE :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

galwaytt wrote: »
    I know you think that, and, having bought several nice smaller cars over the year..

Why are you selling them so lol??

Gorgeous cars by the way, fair play to ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Now, that's all very well, and then you go mad..............and, er, end up with, er.......2, as you do, like........

Oops ! :o:o:o

RESPECT TO THAT MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why are you selling them so lol??

Gorgeous cars by the way, fair play to ya.

sssshhhh......I want to buy a........( :o ) 996 C4 Tip Cabrio.....:o

Hey, I reckon the formula is a good one !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

sssshhhh......want to buy a........( :o ) 996 C4 Tip Cabrio.....:o

Hey, I reckon the formula is a good one !

:eek: Lovely stuff:D

• Advertisement

:eek: Lovely stuff:D

Hey, they're cheap, right ? :)

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I was out at the car auctions on the naas road last night and there was a '02 Range Rover V8 4.4 petrol with all the toys and 76k on the clock. It was sold provisionally at €9600 so I don't know if it will actually go for that, worth checking out next weeks catalog. For a laugh I checked out what gems the main dealers of ireland could provide you with for that kind of money, same year, similar miles, here are the alternatives...

Asthematic 1.4 family hatch
    Economical diesel saloon that's about as desirable as a dose of the clap
    Posers special
    Ultimate Driving Machine - with 4 cylinders, I don't think so

Sure the running costs would be insane and I have a particular dislike of 4x4's but in terms of bang for your buck, this is insane value.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    I was out at the car auctions on the naas road last night and there was a '02 Range Rover V8 4.4 petrol with all the toys and 76k on the clock. It was sold provisionally at €9600 so I don't know if it will actually go for that, worth checking out next weeks catalog. For a laugh I checked out what gems the main dealers of ireland could provide you with for that kind of money, same year, similar miles, here are the alternatives...

Asthematic 1.4 family hatch
    Economical diesel saloon that's about as desirable as a dose of the clap
    Posers special
    Ultimate Driving Machine - with 4 cylinders, I don't think so

Sure the running costs would be insane and I have a particular dislike of 4x4's but in terms of bang for your buck, this is insane value.

Supply and demand, supply and demand.

Christ, I thought the Vextra was overpriced........but the Focus - FFS - is he mad ?:eek:

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I dont think it does make green sense, keeping a perfectly good 10 year old car off the road because of car tax is insane, the pollution and resource cost in building a 1 litre car would be far greater than having the luxor barge live out its remaining years on the road.

There should be a special €500 road tax to keep these babies on the road after 10 years, eventually supply will be gone as the €2000 road tax keeps the thirsty beasts off Irish roads.

Advertisement