Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets talk wacom!

Options
  • 06-01-2009 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Hey

Im starting a company up this month as i am waiting on a few contracts of mine to pay up and they need a vat num from me etc. I've been thinking about getting a wacom cintiq now for some time to futher my designs so i was going to buy it under the company.

Then i got thinking, why not get a tablet pc? Most tablets are built with wacom technology arent they? I know some HP pavillion laptops are.. the 2000 and the 2600 afaik.. a good graphics tablet is about 100-150. thats 1/8th the cost of a tablet pc. You dont need silly processing power for anything 2d, and anything i do 3d gets rendered on a farm anyways..

My question is...

Do you think i should hold out and get a 17/21 inch wacom for 2000-2600 dollars, or get something thats 1/2 the size, but is alot more versatile, can be used as my main work station, and can be worked with in any location for 900 euro?

Why dont more people buy tablet pcs if they work in web design? Im sure this is obvious to most, but it just dawned on me there, or is there something that im overlooking?

I refuse to get a tablet that needs a seperate viewport of some sort, it just wouldnt feel natural to me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Wacoms really come into their own for Illustration & Retouching work, they're less important for web design really.

As for Tablet PCs, they're not nearly as precise of pressure sensitive as a Cintiq or something like that. It all depends on what you're doing, but I'd try test things out before deciding.

There's also the smaller cintiq they offer now, which is closer to 1000 and is portable and can be used as a second display.

http://gizmodo.com/338021/wacom-cintiq-12wx-lcd-pen-tablet-video-review-verdict-simply-amazing-updated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

p wrote: »
    Wacoms really come into their own for Illustration & Retouching work, they're less important for web design really.

As for Tablet PCs, they're not nearly as precise of pressure sensitive as a Cintiq or something like that. It all depends on what you're doing, but I'd try test things out before deciding.

There's also the smaller cintiq they offer now, which is closer to 1000 and is portable and can be used as a second display.

http://gizmodo.com/338021/wacom-cintiq-12wx-lcd-pen-tablet-video-review-verdict-simply-amazing-updated

Yea, im not really arsed with the 12 inch version. Im a firm believer in if your gonna do something do it right etc.. I just thought in the mean time it would be handy to have a tablet for sketching on. The tablets i've been looking at are developed by wacom, i would assume that they would be second only to the cintiq for performance?

As for the work i do, I do alot of sketching on paper and i have to scan it and redraw with a mouse. I also do alot of 3d, and with programs like zBrush, pressure sensitivity is a must, im at the point now where the mouse just wont cut it anymore.

Sounds like you'd certainly get the benefit from the large cintiq if that's your line of work. It'd probably pay for itself with increased poductivity. I'd love to have one myself, but couldn't justify it.

I'd say the normal wacom tablet would be a good stop gap, but if you're in business it might be worth considering a loan and pay it back over the year.

Good luck with the company and everything - if you can make it in these times you'll be flying when things are better. You got a portfolio or anything online, would be interested in seeing your work. :)

p wrote: »
    Good luck with the company and everything - if you can make it in these times you'll be flying when things are better. You got a portfolio or anything online, would be interested in seeing your work. :)

heh, thanks!
    I do have a portfolio but its not online atm. I've done a million designs, but none of which i get excited enough to use to represent myself with. As such, my portfolio is in physical form only!

My goal is to get 3ks worth of tax for the government, then by my cintiq with that ;D A very legitimate purchase for my company i rekon.

Cool - good luck with it all.

Do post your work up or PM me when you get it online. I'd love to bring in some 3D people ot work on projects when clients have the budget! :)

• Advertisement

ive actaully just finished a mockup of an appartment - can send it your way if your interested.

Cool, drop me a PM or a mail. Details in my profile! :)

Advertisement