Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Claiming UA with savings

• 06-01-2009 2:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I became unemployed in 2005 and went on to claim Unemployment benefit for the duration of 312 days. During that time I constantly applied to jobs but got nowhere. I had been employed previously for five years.
    After the initial UB claim ended, the officers at the Social welfare were telling me to go and sign for UA but I never did. During the time I registered with FAS and they occasionally sent me jobs.
    After this initial period claiming I never went back on any payment and from 2006-present day I have had various short term employment with one shot days of employment as well but that work has now dried up completely leaving me with no income.
    In the Jobseekers allowance rules it states that if you have savings above a certain limit say 20,000, then they will start to dock so much off you based on means testing.
    While I am well below that limit, I am being put off the entire Jobseekers allowance application process due to the fact that I will have to get out a bank statement and show my bank balance.
    I have no problems telling them this, while I won't say it out loud, I would perhaps hand them the bank statement.
    The officers are notoriously difficult from what I have heard and I'm worried they will make a big deal of the savings I have and get stroppy about it,
    I have heard of people who had less than I have getting hassle from them about this issue,
    The fact is I have lived off these savings for years now without claiming and remaining against my best wishes unemployed.
    Do you think I will get attitude if I make a claim?.
    Any advice?.

Advertisement