Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entitlements/Agoraphobia

Options
  • 06-01-2009 6:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

I have a question about disability entitlements. My mother has a Social Phobia with Agoraphobia (means fear of open spaces). She was on "the sick" for years and regularly attended an out patient psychiatrist. She was called into the Social Welfare Offices and seen by a MD doctor and she was cut off. He felt she was able to work. She cant leave her front garden,never mind go to a job.

I was furious at this but she was too embarressed to fight the case at the time (this happened 3 years ago). Now my dad has lost his business and my mam has no choice to sign back on, my question is, is there a way to be assessed by a psychiatrist rather than an MD????:confused:

Cause technically they are NOT qualified to say if someone is suffering from a mental health problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Im on disability for the exact same reason. I can go a little further than me garden, not much further though. Tis some balls. I was an out patient meself a few years back, cant get as far as hospital at the moment so stuck on me tablets till i can get back out there. Surely her doctor can send a letter with her forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

yeah her doctor done that its was why i was so annoyed. She had a panic attack in the room with the doctor cause of the stress of travelling into town and the doctor still cut her off. She had to explain to the doctor what Agoraphobia was.:eek:

She couldn't face going back into to appeal it. She felt that she would have another attack. She is doing better now and due to circumstances she has to try again. Id just like to see if there is a way round this MD thing so hopefully she wont go through that again. Im hoping things have changed a bit. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

oh right. The MD almost kicked me out cos i was having the panic attack. I told him it was because i had to travel to get to him and because i had to go through a few sets of traffic lights (your ma would understand), and he just said there and then that i qualified and to go home. Poor fella seemed a bit wiped out. Ran back to car and rallied all the way home. Christ cant believe i drove a car. Bikes are much better :).
    Hopefully your ma sorts something out money wise and panic wise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

does she have health insurance? I´d get onto my local health centre on http://hse.ie/eng/Find_a_Service/Mental_Health_Services/ to see my entitements. Possibly a GP could refer her to a consultant ?

Advertisement