Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midnight showing of new star trek movie ?

Options
  • 06-01-2009 7:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

So the moving is only 4 months away, any hope of say like a midnight showing of this movie , cause i really really want to see it the secound its out ! . i know i could drag along at least 5 or 6 friends who are all sci fi fans.

so do any cinemas in say dublin do things like this ? can anybody think of any movie showing here lately that did . and if so what cinema did it . i am guess you would need a certain amount of prebooked tickets and high interest in the movie or whatever.

but being a lazy college student with time on their hands , i guess i will throw my hat in and say if there was interest, i would try to get the ball moving .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ye there will defo be midnight screenings, id like to go to the one in dundrum or else cineword in parnel street if they are doing it so i can just get hammered if im not enjoying the movie but i know that the one out in liffy vally does a midnight screening

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

yea cineword in city centre would be handy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Midnight would be cool.

But all the pubs will be closed after :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Cineworld and Liffey Vally, have screenins for the bigger releases. But O doubt there will be one for this. Unless the hype machine goes into overdrive, I really dont think there will be a demand for it. Its not the franchise it used to be.

starn wrote: »
    Cineworld and Liffey Vally, have screenins for the bigger releases. But O doubt there will be one for this. Unless the hype machine goes into overdrive, I really dont think there will be a demand for it. Its not the franchise it used to be.

well i mean if we can find out how many people they need to make a midnight showing worth doing , then it could be worth while seeing if we can drum up enough interest to get people to go , i mean i was serious about draging along 6 mates, hmm maybe annoy some other colleges like trinity who have sci fi socs, and then just put some posts about it on this thread and the other sci related shows one.

and i mean i am not messing star trek is one of the bigger releases this year , its in all the movie mag's being labeled as a blockbuster and top lists of must see movies this year, now how it turns out in the end will count on it being a good movie or not.

• Advertisement

it will be hyoped up because the season for it not being released in dec 08 was because they wanted to delay it to make the movie into a true "sumer blockbuster"

so it will be hyped with ads

and also its JJ doing it so his fans will be interested and the movie will attract more attention.

By the way how many of you think you will see people storming out of the cinema in disgust during the movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

well it can't go any lower than Nemesis can it???

From what ive seen so far it most definatly can. The thing i am most interested in is how the actors handle the mannerisms of the old charactors i mean will this new kirk talk like william shatner, will spock tilt his head/neck the same as lenord nimoy, will the new michelle nickels sit the same way.

Actually here is something - the uniforms - does anyone know if they are cannon? or are they just made up for this movie?

I wonder will any of the backstorys for any of the charactors in any way contradict what we already know about them.

(and no im not talking about that guy who pointed out that spock cant have his pon-far in this movie because the stardate does not corospond with season 2 episode wahtever)

User45701 wrote: »
    From what ive seen so far it most definatly can. The thing i am most interested in is how the actors handle the mannerisms of the old charactors i mean will this new kirk talk like william shatner, will spock tilt his head/neck the same as lenord nimoy, will the new michelle nickels sit the same way.

Actually here is something - the uniforms - does anyone know if they are cannon? or are they just made up for this movie?

I wonder will any of the backstorys for any of the charactors in any way contradict what we already know about them.

(and no im not talking about that guy who pointed out that spock cant have his pon-far in this movie because the stardate does not corospond with season 2 episode wahtever)

Do we want the new kirk to talk just like shatner ?, these actors are playing the part of the characters , not trying parody the old cast. Yes it hard to think of someone else playing kirk, but after watching stuff like fan shows (startreknewvoyages). i know as long the story is there and the actors can act then it should be good.

the unifroms cannon ? well since we have never seen or have any real infomation about starfleet during this time , then yes the uniforms are now cannon.

the backstory will be changed during the movie , as is clear but the fack time travel involved, but that is not to say its a reboot or anything.
    i mean as long as they dont mess with things like i expect stuff at the start of the movie to be close to what we do know , like kirk should have been at Tarsus IV as a teenager and so on.

oh right cause we have so much information on vulcan pon-far, like we have not seen any thing in star trek that have cause vulcans to act differently or maybe have their pon-far at unexpected time, plus the vulcans 'say' they go thought pon-far every 7 years , you can take that different ways , like i see alot of people say vulcans only have sex every 7 years but there is no proof of this , plus why are you talking about pon-far ? why do you think spock is on pon-far in the movie ????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

The uniforms are two-piece---a black undergarment with a coloured overshirt, giving a similar look from adistance but up close you can see the many Starfleet arrowheads:

trekmovieposter1.jpg

Nero up top apparently travels back through time to change the timeline. I'm guessing the actions he takes affects the entire fleet, as Enterprise is no longer built entirely in space but on Earth:

startrek-enterprise-big.jpg

This might also be why Kirk doesn't go to Tarsus, but stays on Earth; from the look of the trailer the Starfleet of Abrams' universe faces a far deadlier fate, and are more defensive, hence the more advanced (though IMHO crappier) design of Enterprise:

enterprise579_l.jpg

So the canon will be changed through the timeline-altering. No more anal obsession over every little detail, thank fook. And yay, Nimoy is in it!

• Advertisement

aagghh! another time travel fiasco!!!:eek::confused::pac:

time travel can be the best scifi when done right like so many episodes of different scifi shows have shown.

I just hope JJ does not **** this up and if he does the little **** better not get to do a 2nd star trek movie

EDIT: IrishTrekie - sorry forgot to answer - i was on some star trek fan site and one of the posts was saying in the trailer sylar looked like he had feelings/emotions and that that would not be possible unless he was having his pon far and the stardate didnt corrospond (in 7 year segments) to TOS season 2 (amok time i think was the episode)

time travel can be the best scifi when done right like so many episodes of different scifi shows have shown.

I just hope JJ does not **** this up and if he does the little **** better not get to do a 2nd star trek movie

EDIT: IrishTrekie - sorry forgot to answer - i was on some star trek fan site and one of the posts was saying in the trailer sylar looked like he had feelings/emotions and that that would not be possible unless he was having his pon far and the stardate didnt corrospond (in 7 year segments) to TOS season 2 (amok time i think was the episode)

The trailer includes the line "You are a child of two worlds..." From the looks of things Spock will be in a younger, more raw phase of his life. Spock still has to decide is he human or Vulcan (I'm guessing he chooses the latter, a shame cos in ST:VI he basically showed both sides and it worked), and the little leap at Mr Kirk says that decision might be bumpy.

Forget stardates etc...why hold up an entire film's plotline with exact chronology, when in the end, it's the characters that matter?

yar, but its been used so much in trek and its very difficult to get a time travel story just right. Remember star trek 4...TOS crew go back in time with "hilarious consequences," mess about with some whales and play up to the classic fish out of water scenario.

yar, but its been used so much in trek and its very difficult to get a time travel story just right. Remember star trek 4...TOS crew go back in time with "hilarious consequences," mess about with some whales and play up to the classic fish out of water scenario.

Yeah but this one looks like the time-travel Star Trek story to beat. First Contact missed a huge opportunity by sending its crew back to a dull post-apocalyptic (cheap to film) 2063. Voyage Home is boring but at the time was very successful and did what it intended to: opened the doors to many non Trekkies/ers.

This one has the entire timeline, and indeed fate of the Federation, hinging on a time travelling aged Spock, his younger, turbulent self, a lost and volatile Kirk, a young crew, a kick-ass Enterprise (fancy on the inside, a bit too meh on the outside) and a bad-ass-looking Eric Bana as the Romulan time-travelling vengeance seeking warrior. Oh and €150 million budget. Money does not equate to quality, but it damn well helps.

I'm hopeful. Nemesis can kiss my a$$. What a wasted opportunity to show Romulans as dangerously intelligent foes. Just a ripoff of II and VI. This one looks awesome.

And so I end my waffle.

Yeah but this one looks like the time-travel Star Trek story to beat. First Contact missed a huge opportunity by sending its crew back to a dull post-apocalyptic (cheap to film) 2063. Voyage Home is boring but at the time was very successful and did what it intended to: opened the doors to many non Trekkies/ers.

This one has the entire timeline, and indeed fate of the Federation, hinging on a time travelling aged Spock, his younger, turbulent self, a lost and volatile Kirk, a young crew, a kick-ass Enterprise (fancy on the inside, a bit too meh on the outside) and a bad-ass-looking Eric Bana as the Romulan time-travelling vengeance seeking warrior. Oh and €150 million budget. Money does not equate to quality, but it damn well helps.

I'm hopeful. Nemesis can kiss my a$$. What a wasted opportunity to show Romulans as dangerously intelligent foes. Just a ripoff of II and VI. This one looks awesome.

And so I end my waffle.

good point, voyage home opened doors. I kinda agree with First Contact, it was very hokey, though I liked the idea of showing the first warp flight. Nonetheless, it came across as a bit lame, like they couldn't come up with a decent epic borg/federation war storyline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

When I first heard about this project it was being called a reimagining. So people werent to happy about that at the time. So it became a time travel story which will effect the events after it.

This sounds like a reimagining to me, and is exactly what the franchise needs. It would be very hard for anyone to make a sequal to the film if they have to adhere to cannon Star Trek has forty years of back story. Thats why Enetrprise didnt work. We knew exactly where it was going. No major dramatic events can occur on the show, because we would of heard of it before.

Forget about cannon dudes. Watch the film and judge it on its own merits. Not on its continuity with the shows and films

Advertisement