Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staying up all night to fix sleep pattern

Options
  • 06-01-2009 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭

Hi all, first time posting in here (I think).

Basically, I go to college in Dublin but whenever I'm home in Wexford for any period of time my sleeping patter just goes wonky. I don't know why but it just doesn't dawn on me to go to sleep at a normal hour, and there's generally no reason to be up early the next morning so I just sleep in. It'll start off something like going to bed at 4am, waking at 2pm but it gets worse from there. Today was the worst, I woke up at 6pm. I find when this happens that the only way to fix it is to stay up all night, not going to bed at all. This way you're properly shattered the next day and you can get to sleep at a reasonable hour.

Does anyone else have a habit of doing this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

my sleep pattern is all over the gaff. Been on tablets ages so i just put it down to them.
    I be debating whether or not staying up all night and going to bed at normal time would work for me but i get bored and go to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yep it can happen, have you tried other options like setting an arlarm and some wind down time to chill out and relax so you can then get to sleep ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_sleep_phase_syndrome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Moved from the nocturnal forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

That Wiki article is very interesting, I didn't know it was really a classified disorder. Thanks for that. Sometimes I can set an alarm for early morning, so that way I wake up early and am tired for the next night but stil get a few hours' sleep. Unfortunately I only have my phone alarm with me these days which is not very loud in the first place and is very easily turned off so it's been no help. I have a more powerful alarm up in Dublin though.

I haven't really thought of the chill-out thing. I haven't been doing much lately anyway. I also have to start studying a lot more if I want to make schols a realistic possibility, which will damage my chances of winding down but also might make me more tired for the evenings. Anyway, hopefully it will clear itself up once I get back to college. I've always had sleep troubles but they don't seem so severe up there, probably because I share a room and am therefore obliged to retire by a reasonable hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Yep, I did this just last week. I need to do it every so often. I don't know what it is with me, I can never keep a reasonable sleeping pattern.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

thats why im up right now. normal sleeping pattern while in college in dublin. came home to carlow friday and woke up later and later. sunday i woke up at 7:30PM. im only up 13 hours ffs! im gonna stay awake for the day, go to bed early tonight and get up bright and early for college tomorrow. i did this last week as well. stupid patterns!

Advertisement