Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official:Poncy new Thomond puts Mockers on Munster Mojo.

• 06-01-2009 8:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭

....It appears that the new Thomond is too cosy and welcoming for visiting sides, thats According to Tony McG. The Eastern bloc 'charms' of the old thomond were apparently lost on effeminate Brit and French sides used to more salubrious surrounds....causing them to get walloped repeatedly..

Sounds like the only response to Munster's recent slump is that we're gonna have to bulldoze it folks and lovingly/forensically recreate the quaint old shambles that we all knew and loved....

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/magners-league/revamped-stadium-lacks-vital-fear-factor-as-reds-struggle-on-home-ground-1592965.html

Recently made my first trip to the new Thomond, and you'd have to say something is missing...what that something is...well who knows...but it just ain't the same...*comes over all misty eyed*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

Its only a stadium. An inanimate object that required severe modernisation.
    The crowd provides an atmosphere and to do this, they need something to shout about.

I don't mind it. The exits are too narrow from the upper areas of the stands but apart from that, its fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Poncy performances by individual Munster players, spilling ball, missing tackles, and not fighting enough over the last few weeks have put the mockers on Munster mojo. The surrounding bricks and mortar cant be blamed for these shortcomings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Yeah, that's it. It's the stadium.

I was chatting to this cracking bird on Saturday night, and normally would have scored had it been in a run down dingy bar, but since we were in Samsara, she felt classier, and therefore I couldn't get her to leave with me. Nothing to do with me of course.

[/end sarcasm]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Poncy performances by individual Munster players, spilling ball, missing tackles, and not fighting enough over the last few weeks have put the mockers on Munster mojo. The surrounding bricks and mortar cant be blamed for these shortcomings.

Well of course, and what's more is it's worrying that TMcG is starting to allude to intangibles like atmosphere...I do feel as a supporter the buzz ain't what it was, but thats no excuse for the players on the pitch (thought my OP was sufficiently soaked in irony, should have left it in to brew for longer).....

On reading that pile of shash article, I'd say Tony McGahan has been quoted on almost every word way out of context, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

It's usual enough for a team to take some time adjusting to a new stadium. France were poor in Stade de France for a while, Wales were terrible in the Millennium, when Quins rebuilt the Stoop they got relegated, iirc. The players are just adjusting to it.

On reading that pile of shash article, I'd say Tony McGahan has been quoted on almost every word way out of context, to be honest.

Have to agree, McGahan could just have easily said every team is raising their game when they play the European Champions, doesn't mean we should regret being European champions. As usual the Indo is talking rubbish.

Btw, Hugh Farrelly, if you're reading this, you used to be good, what's with all the rubbish articles recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭spoon

I think what Tony McGahan was saying was that the teams coming to Thomond are now upping their game moreso than before. They seem to come to Thomond to proove things, they're coming to face the team ranked number one in Europe at their home ground which has been like a fortress for them. The hype around the new stadium has only made teams coming there more hyped about playing there, they seem to play their games in Thomond like a cup final.

I think the atmosphere at the park has moments where it can far excede that of the old ground. The problem is that we've had less to cheer about in the few games we've had there, between opposition performing very well and flat performances from the men in red. The New Zealand game had an absalutely amazing atmosphere from what i could see, and i expect a huge atmostphere for Sale also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Argee completely.
    Was at the game on Sat night and the mistakes made were so un-Munster like.
    Ulster also feeded of this and upped there game.
    If they played again tomorrow Munster would win. just on the day it didnt happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭barnesd

What a joke of an article. Media bending over backwards to make excuses for Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

barnesd wrote: »
    What a joke of an article. Media bending over backwards to make excuses for Munster.

As a munsterfan i agree wholeheartedly there seems a reluctance in the media to give Connaught and Ulster the credit they deserve which is very unfair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

A bit ridiculous really. Ulster and Connacht are hardly used to classy stadiums and put off by the old Thomond.

Munster have just hit a dip in form. This is normal for every other team, the only remarkable thing about it is that Munster have (through great collective effort of will) avoided such a dip for a few years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭barnesd

As a munsterfan i agree wholeheartedly there seems a reluctance in the media to give Connaught and Ulster the credit they deserve which is very unfair

I'd also like to know exactly what McGahan said and the context he said it in, because I can imagine his words have been twisted a bit here for the purpose of the article.

dub_skav wrote: »
    A bit ridiculous really. Ulster and Connacht are hardly used to classy stadiums and put off by the old Thomond.

Munster have just hit a dip in form. This is normal for every other team, the only remarkable thing about it is that Munster have (through great collective effort of will) avoided such a dip for a few years now.

That's bollocks, Munster have been crap in the ML for years. Kidney often used it as a training ground, and it appears McGahan is no different. I've been to loads of crap Munster ML matches in both TP and MP.

Also, Munster have often had dips in form in the HEC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Also, Munster have often had dips in form in the HEC.

ah that was the grey jersey..........

:D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Does anyone know who wrote that article?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

wixfjord wrote: »
    Does anyone know who wrote that article?

Hugh Farrelly I think - his picture beside it in the Indo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Its only a stadium. An inanimate object that required severe modernisation.
    The crowd provides an atmosphere and to do this, they need something to shout about.

I don't mind it. The exits are too narrow from the upper areas of the stands but apart from that, its fine.

thats like saying the haka is only a dance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Junior

Have to agree, McGahan could just have easily said every team is raising their game when they play the European Champions, doesn't mean we should regret being European champions. As usual the Indo is talking rubbish.

Btw, Hugh Farrelly, if you're reading this, you used to be good, what's with all the rubbish articles recently?

Every team is raising their game against munster, and in some ways they are becoming predictable - there's only so many ways you can throw the ball to Paulie in a line out etc, some new blood is needed into the mix along with new tactics and methods.

As for Farrelly - he's obviously stopped reading our threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Junior wrote: »
    Every team is raising their game against munster, and in some ways they are becoming predictable - there's only so many ways you can throw the ball to Paulie in a line out etc, some new blood is needed into the mix along with new tactics and methods.

As for Farrelly - he's obviously stopped reading our threads.

Definitely a point in that, but I think Munster are in the process of fundamentally altering the way they play the game. We're trying to play a higher tempo/more creative style which clearly hasn't gelled yet. Whether it ever will is a moot point....

• Advertisement

twinytwo wrote: »
    thats like saying the haka is only a dance

No, its not. Not in the slightest.

Advertisement