Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook Connect (For Wordpress)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Far prefer to see OpenID succeed myself. Connect is a good option to have though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

It's an interesting one alight. Obviously there are lots of advantages of using facebook as its so big already, but there are downsides too. I wonder if one will reign victorious or will the two battle for years to come?

More Links:
    http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/facebook_connect_vs_open_id.php
    http://www.techcrunchit.com/2008/10/22/facebook-connect-and-openid-relationship-status-%E2%80%9Cit%E2%80%99s-complicated%E2%80%9D/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Well, the 'connect' to Web2.0Ireland was certainly easier than anything I've ever done with OpenID.

Though I'd have to read up on the ins-and-outs and privacy issues with the service. I wouldn't want to suggest any of my customers use something I'm not myself sure about, just because it's "easy".

From conversations I had with (non-'techie') friends and family over Christmas, I think Facebook is still seen in a fairly bad light by a lot of people when it comes to data privacy.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Goodshape wrote: »
    From conversations I had with (non-'techie') friends and family over Christmas, I think Facebook is still seen in a fairly bad light by a lot of people when it comes to data privacy.
    How come?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Zascar wrote: »
    How come?

I'd say the 'Beacon' fiasco would be culprit #1. People heard rumblings of it being bad news, and then didn't necessaryly hear of it getting any better.

A good bit of general FUD too. The size and massive and rapid growth of Facebook makes some people uneasy. 'Connecting' your entire online world to one privately held US corporation just doesn't appeal to some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

****ing waste of time. basically mark zuckerberg wants to see who'se logging into xtube :) and more data to mine for his advertisers

unified login always sucks, the concept behind it anyway. especially when its bound to a site as craptastic as facebook

I'm trying to decide if it's worth adding to my blog...

What are any of you guys doing? This or Open ID? Or just none at all and just stick with what wordpress has standard?

Advertisement