Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Orange flickering light on 2002 focus dash

Options
  • 06-01-2009 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Folks hopefully someone can advise here. Have a 2002 focus that is barely used (only once for about 10km over christmas due to having a company car also). It's only got 32k on the clock. Have had it regularly serviced (once a year). There's an orange light flickering down the bottom left hand side of the dash. Unfortunatly I've lost my manual & don't know what this signifies. Can someone let me know please ?

Also. Would the timeing belt/waterpump be due for replacement even though the car is hardly used ? The mechanic mentioned this the last service (Oct), but I thought as it is probably only used once a week or less that it shouldnt.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Flickering? Sounds like a fluid level light, they tend to flicker when fluid is just at meter level. What symbol is on the light?

Google helped me find manuals here and here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I think it's an engine symbol, but hinestly it's flicker is very light so the symbol isn't always visible.

Cheers for the manuals, didn't think they'd be online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

AFAIK, the instrument cluster is prone to failing in that model focus. I have one at the minute that its happening to.

The engine management light keeps flashing, then the rev counter and speedo will go back to zero. Then all of a sudden they all go back and its perfect again!

I think its a relatively big fix - the whole dash has to come out apparently. I seemed to have fixed it (for the time being anyhow) I changed the fuses for the dash, instrument cluster etc, and it hasnt gone funny since that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Actually, now that you mention that drummerboy, my wife said that when she drove the car over Christmas none of the instruments worked. I checked it when she got back & they were all working again, I put it down to the car having sat there for about three weeks & maybe being super cold.

Damn, do you think it's time to change the car ? It's in fantastic condition & genuinly really low milage. It's also paid off in full. Didn't really want the expense of another car loan as it's only used when I'm out in mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

iMax wrote: »
    Actually, now that you mention that drummerboy, my wife said that when she drove the car over Christmas none of the instruments worked. I checked it when she got back & they were all working again, I put it down to the car having sat there for about three weeks & maybe being super cold.

Damn, do you think it's time to change the car ? It's in fantastic condition & genuinly really low milage. It's also paid off in full. Didn't really want the expense of another car loan as it's only used when I'm out in mine.

Nope, just get it fixed. Also the belts should be done after 5 years irrespective of the milage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement