Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EEK! Handbrake frozen on!

Options
  • 06-01-2009 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

Tried everythingand possbly made it all worse, couldnt budge my car this morning as the handbrake was frozen on. Reckon its the cable is self thats frozen! -7c here at the moment in Mayo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is why I put it in 1st instead of using the handbrake.
    Think you may just have to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Try rocking the car back and forwards in reverse & first gear with the lever down. It may well free off the pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I'd leave it be... you could end up pulling the linings off the brake shoes and it'll cost more than a while of a wait.

It's more likely that the shoes are frozen to the drum than the cable TBH. You could try putting a fan heater under the back of the car for a while ... point at each wheel in turn and don't electrocute yourself when having an indoor applicance outside!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Just leave it in the sun. Nature will work its magic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

1st then reverse. A bit of rocking should work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Avns1s wrote: »
    It's more likely that the shoes are frozen to the drum than the cable TBH.

My handbrake was frozen as well this morning, only it WAS the cable. The handbrake was off over night and when I needed to pull it, there was an almighty crunch and it was very hard to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

no ive tried everything. Its still below freezing here now. I cant move the car into the sun and unfortunatly the place where my car is parked is out of the sun all the time this time of the year. Ive tried rocking car in reverse and then forward. I dont want to do any damage so ill leave it. Lost a days pay today. Ill try it mid afternoon, so fingers crossed. I never thought last night would be so cold and it never dawned on me to leave off handbrake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Get out the hairdryer!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Would leaving the car sitting whilst ticking over generate enough heat underneath to thaw out the cables?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

kbannon wrote: »
    Would leaving the car sitting whilst ticking over generate enough heat underneath to thaw out the cables?

That is what i was thinking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I don't think it would make much odds. OP, is the handbrake operated by a button in the car or the handbrake lever???

nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Throw hot water over the brake drums if you have alloys.

The Handbrake cable is normally, four cables. I have the same problem every morning its slightly cold, the rocking back and forth technique does it for me.

kluivert wrote: »
    Throw hot water over the brake drums if you have alloys

no good this either. To warm up a cast brake drum properly, a kettle full of hot water's not going to do it, or
    or even 3. And when the water goes cold, it'll freeze and cause more problems.

Advertisement