Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

defoe's back

Options
  • 06-01-2009 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

on the spurs website

LATEST NEWS
    Defoe deal agreed. We are delighted to announce that we have reached agreement with Portsmouth for the transfer of Jermain Defoe.

Personal terms have been agreed and the striker will today undergo a medical.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Good news,

Any idea what kind of money? I'd hate to pay too much over the odds for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

balls

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Manic087

I'm happy with this. I know we only sold him last year but in the difficulty we're in we need a proven premiership scorer and someone who won't take time to settle. Defoe's a Yiddo!! C'mon JD. Bring those scoring boots with ya!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

better than what we have so happy enuff with him returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭whitey21

Skysports reckon its about 15million we're payin!!! Is that about double for what we sold him for...cant remember what we sold him for.

Personally, i dont particularly want him back! Was never much of a fan of his(in his all round game)....never seemed to contribute to the team play, like hold up the ball well and when we were on the back foot in a game, defoe was never in the game..i.e holding up the ball or relieving pressure.
    And i can recall him wasting numerous open chances, but hopefully that wont happen this time!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

We paid 9m for him, though Portsmouth never fully paid us for him or for Kaboul, so there's some sort of agreement where we cancel their debt to us and give them a few extra quid.

I'm personally happy with it. I always thought he was a bit too greedy to be excellent (and please keep him away from the penalties, especially if we get one playing West Ham) but at the moment we need someone with pace who will run at defenders and try to take shots as we don't have anyone like that at the moment. He'll get a great reception if he's presented at the Lane tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Anyone know if he is cup-tied for the Carling Cup or can he play in the 2nd leg and the final should we get there ?

Also, can he play in the Uefa Cup ? I know he has played for Pompey but are'nt Madrid registering Diarra or Huntelaar, or is it that because they played in a different European competition, ie, the Uefa Cup and Madrid are registering 1 of them for a different competition, ie CL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

this time last year he was sold as he wasnt good enough, which was true at the time. Now hes been signed as some sort of messiah... shows how far we have fallen as a club in my opinion. People seem to forget that he wasnt exceptional at all by any means. However, he is still a good signing for us at the current time, he will score us goals which is what is badly needed. Pity hes out of the uefa (at least hes available for the CC).
    GOOD LUCK TO HIM, HOPE HE SCORES A LOAD FOR US, WHICH HE PROBERBLY WILL NEXT TO PAV.... BUT I STILL DONT IKE THE LITTLE RAT FACE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭BOLT

I better whisper this (especially as this is an Irish site).

Always preferred Defoe over Keane as a striker...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Sorry BOLT i totally disagree,but i hope Defoe can do the bizz this time round..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

defoe is not cup tied for the final definetly but think is is elligable for the second leg of the semi at turf moor.

delighted to have him back. i see in his interview the reporter put the words into his mouth about never wanting to leave but i strongly feel this was the case with him. he had an international carreer to think of and realistly was too good to be a bench warmer anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Manic087

Portsmouth's only Carling Cup appearance was against Chelsea when they were thumped 4-0. Defoe was on the bench but never played. He's ok for the final alright but they were saying last night on Sky Sports that he can play the second leg. I'm taking that as word because I can't find anything to contradict it. So look forward to see Pav and JD upfront for the next few games I'd say and then I think Bent will be on his way in the summer.

UEFA Cup he can't play in. Has already played for Pompey in it. There's some strange rule that if you played UEFA you can play CL but can't do it the other way round so that's why Pav is cup-tied for us. Also the reason Hutton couldn't play for us in the UEFA last season!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

SuprSi wrote: »
    We paid 9m for him, though Portsmouth never fully paid us for him or for Kaboul, so there's some sort of agreement where we cancel their debt to us and give them a few extra quid.

I'm personally happy with it. I always thought he was a bit too greedy to be excellent (and please keep him away from the penalties, especially if we get one playing West Ham) but at the moment we need someone with pace who will run at defenders and try to take shots as we don't have anyone like that at the moment. He'll get a great reception if he's presented at the Lane tonight!

I think it was £9m plus cancelled debt. Pesonally I am glad to see the back of him, there is talk that he had become a disruptive element on the training pitch and frankly, he should have been fined a weeks wages for his display (or lack of) against West Ham.

Apparantly Defoe slagged off everything and everyone at Pompey last week and Crouch told him he may as well **** off as he had been playing on his own up front anyway. The whole thing ended up with Nugent putting defoe on his arse.

You'll have to forgive me for hoping he is playing championship football for Redknapp next season.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭BOLT

tippspur wrote: »
    Sorry BOLT i totally disagree,but i hope Defoe can do the bizz this time round..

I was careful how I chose my words, as an 'out and out' striker, I think Defoe is superior. If you need a 'support' striker/forward midfielder, Keane would get my vote.

But, as you say, hope JD can really start to rattle them in now given the support of Modric/Huddlestone:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I think it was £9m plus cancelled debt. Pesonally I am glad to see the back of him, there is talk that he had become a disruptive element on the training pitch and frankly, he should have been fined a weeks wages for his display (or lack of) against West Ham.

Apparantly Defoe slagged off everything and everyone at Pompey last week and Crouch told him he may as well **** off as he had been playing on his own up front anyway. The whole thing ended up with Nugent putting defoe on his arse.

You'll have to forgive me for hoping he is playing championship football for Redknapp next season.:)

Sounds like a certain Bulgarian we had on our books for a while, though I can't quite remember his name.

I hate hearing stuff like this, especially players becoming a disruptive influence to the rest of the team. I'm seriously hoping he starts banging them in for fun now though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Delighted. Am a huge fan of Defoe. I reckon he has one of the best strikes of the ball around. Was sad to see him go, glad to see him back. Bad business but that's what we've come to expect...

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Financially, it's a total calamity by the board.

However, from a playing point I think it's a very good move.

Defoe is an out and out goalscorer, always was and always will be (an instinct we havent had this season). He's from London and would always be more settled being back home. He loves Harry Redknapp and I think will play his heart out for him. I don't think he'll be as keen to jump ship after one good season like the bulgarian.

He scored 64 goals in 177 appearances for us (Ratio: 1 goal/2.76 games), which is remarkable bearing in mind for 2 whole seasons he was nothing more than a bench warmer until the last 10 minutes in the majority of games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Doogs

BOLT wrote: »
    I better whisper this (especially as this is an Irish site).

Always preferred Defoe over Keane as a striker...

I had similar problems supporting Keane on an English site :-)

Advertisement