Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Last week another "RTE insider" was quoted saying Gerry has absolutely no chance. It is supposed to be announced this week, so we will know soon enough. I will be shocked if he gets it, given his history of presenting truely hide behind the sofa awful chatshows. And I can't see RTE bossses being able to stomach paying him more money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

do ya reckon they have someone up their sleeve ie not on mainstream list /on tv already?

hard to c gerry gettin it but thenm ask yourself who?

i know marty w.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

If toadface gets the LLs show gig it'll tip the country over the edge completely.
    Its bad enough being taxed from pillar to post,people losing jobs and unemployment queues growing without having to watch a 25 stone hypocrite bullshiiting on in an Aldi suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

bilko1234 wrote: »
    From the Indo last Friday:

Insiders are tipping Gerry Ryan for the Friday night show.
    "He got a terrific reaction when he stood in for Pat earlier this year. He has that edge of danger which will pull in the viewers, as long as he doesn't invite that fúcking wánker Tommy Tiernan on" said a senior Montrose source.

Fixed your post ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

Tubridy gets it!
    Can we all send in our condolences to the big man at grs@rte.ie.
    He will truly appreciate it to know we all still love him and his deflated ego!
    ;)

• Advertisement

Tubridy gets it!
    Can we all send in our condolences to the big man at grs@rte.ie.
    He will truly appreciate it to know we all still love him and his deflated ego!
    ;)

Dont forget to thank him for taking the 10% paycut and we all really appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

he must be choking when congratulating tubbers

he must be choking when congratulating tubbers

A double-helping of humble pie with lashings of sour grapes hehe

Good to see the legend of the boards, Degsey, contributing to this thread.
    I believe "Would the real Gerry Ryan, please stand up" is his Bible!

Good to see the legend of the boards, Degsey, contributing to this thread.
    I believe "Would the real Gerry Ryan, please stand up" is his Bible!

In the same way that "A Cook on the Wild side" is a bible to vegetarians!

• Advertisement

Gerry cracking up this morning cause he's getting a lot of answers to his premium rate €5000 giveaway competition on his normal text line.
    He promotes this competion like it's a very generous handout from his good offices, when in reality its a moneyspinner for RTE.
    1 euro to enter, and he gives away 5000!
    I'd say anywhere up to 10,000 people txt in to this premuim line every time a competition is announced, making a clear profit for RTE.
    In other words, it's a rip off.
    So I think it behoves us all here to text ....Gerry Pink Floyd.... to his NORMAL text number which is 51552, before 11.45 this morning.
    Every little helps!

Gerry cracking up this morning cause he's getting a lot of answers to his premium rate €5000 giveaway competition on his normal text line.
    He promotes this competion like it's a very generous handout from his good offices, when in reality its a moneyspinner for RTE.
    1 euro to enter, and he gives away 5000!
    I'd say anywhere up to 10,000 people txt in to this premuim line every time a competition is announced, making a clear profit for RTE.
    In other words, it's a rip off.
    So I think it behoves us all here to text ....Gerry Pink Floyd.... to his NORMAL text number which is 51552, before 11.45 this morning.
    Every little helps!

This is what he's reduced to now to raise some of the lost revenue that his book cost the station in advertising.
    He's gonna be fighting (wonky) tooth and nail to hold onto his genrous salary now the secret about him being a fat,useless gasbag is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Real FM

Yes clearly he introduced that rate because he was worried about his book rather than RTÉ introducing it. I can't exactly see him going to the bosses and saying "I'm bumping up my text rates whether you like it or not".

What a stupid argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I would say that it has more to do with the fact that RTE has significantly reduced their costs to advertisers in order to keep them going elsewhere. TV3 were on the Sunday Business Post the other week giving out about it, saying that it's unfair that they can do this as they are backed by the license fee.

Real FM wrote: »
    Yes clearly he introduced that rate because he was worried about his book rather than RTÉ introducing it. I can't exactly see him going to the bosses and saying "I'm bumping up my text rates whether you like it or not".

What a stupid argument.

Thats not what i'm saying.
    RTE were the ones who told him to do it in order to start earning his keep,him advertising the competition means he is fighting for his professional(such as it is) life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Off on holidays early, this year, isn't he? Doesn't he usually disappear in late June/Early July?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

family circumstances different - might be issues there that need careful timing?

The summer holidays of the high profile presenters have been reduced this year.

He's back!
    This morning talking to a youngfella and his mother who is going to Belvadere college this year.
    Managed to get in mentions of his son Elliot who "at 25 past 9 should be getting on a train right now in Berlin with about 20 other fellas cause he's off InterRailing" Oh yes. I'm so proud!!!!
    Also told the mother that her sons testosterone levels will raise by 1100% in this transition period( yes that's eleven hundred).and why did she need him to tell her this??
    All delivered in his sleazy, patronising, greasy voice that we all love so well.
    Sorry, I have to go back to listening:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

He's back already? I was enjoying listening to that Eoin guy. He was really good.

• Advertisement

Why does Gerry Ryan think that the general public should be as giddy with excitement as HE obviously is when he shares information about his best friends and their goings on.
    For example, this morning after eulogising U2 for 50 mins, and having a go at the “begrudgers” who “would’ve loved to see them fall on their arse”, he added this FOOTNOTE.
    “Y’know, that wasn’t the first performance of this 360 tour in Barcelona last night. Oh no. The first performance of this tour took place down in Dublin’s docklands about two weeks ago. It contained all of the set, all the lights and rig, special effects....and played to an audience of just one man…………….(frantic nailbiting whilst he keeps us all in agony)……………HARRY CROSBIE!!!!!!!. (Cue squeals of delight from Gerry, in fact I think he must have wet himself!!):eek:
    I’m seriously wondering about the relationship between these two middle aged men.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭akaredtop

Well, he did leave his wife.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Why does Gerry Ryan think that the general public should be as giddy with excitement as HE obviously is when he shares information about his best friends and their goings on.
    For example, this morning after eulogising U2 for 50 mins, and having a go at the “begrudgers” who “would’ve loved to see them fall on their arse”, he added this FOOTNOTE.
    “Y’know, that wasn’t the first performance of this 360 tour in Barcelona last night. Oh no. The first performance of this tour took place down in Dublin’s docklands about two weeks ago. It contained all of the set, all the lights and rig, special effects....and played to an audience of just one man…………….(frantic nailbiting whilst he keeps us all in agony)……………HARRY CROSBIE!!!!!!!. (Cue squeals of delight from Gerry, in fact I think he must have wet himself!!):eek:
    I’m seriously wondering about the relationship between these two middle aged men.:confused:

Bilko you have a lot to learn.

You have the term "ligger"?

it's a person who uses their reputation to blag free drink, seats in aeroplanes/concerts/games/events/night clubs/restaurants/hotels/theme parks/travel companies..
    p
    What they do is use the facility paid for by you and me, yes Bilko, YOU AND ME, to promote these people and in return for all that very expensive publicity Bilko, there can be a payback.

That's how it works Bilko;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

this is how i see it

sound of door opening

the edge(quietly):o **** look who it is

bono:ah gerry how are things

gerry:(slobbering noises)

bono:so how are the family

gerry (louder slobbering noises)

bono:eh right gerry see you later

sound of door closing

u2:what a w@anker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I saw Ryan at Eagles gig last night, the fella behind me started giving him abuse telling him to take a pay cut and that he isn't that good and that he's a fat b@stard. He was with his girlfriend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Tattoo Stan

I moved to England recently and this thread reminds me why.

England has radio presenters like Jonathan Ross, Terry Wogan, Chris Evans....even my local radio station has Jason Donovan presenting...and any one of them sh!ts all over the monstrous despicable pr!ck that is Gerry Ryan.

Why the people of Ireland, in their thousands, tune in to that fat ignoramus every single day is absolutely beyond me.

The man has no talent, is literally contemptuous towards his audience and waves his inflated salary and endless perks of the job in the face of his recession-hit listeners.

He has no place on the radio, yet they still listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Why the people of Ireland, in their thousands, tune in to that fat ignoramus every single day is absolutely beyond me.

It's a lack of alternative really, isn't it? You say yourself that England has Wogan, and while I wouldn't really agree that he's any good, it does highlight the issue that the talented people in radio or TV would generally leave for abroad. Be that Dara O'Briain, Graham Norton, or Cillian Murphy, Brendan Gleeson, or just about any noteworthy Irish actor you could imagine. They all go to find work abroad. Tiresome bores like Pat Kenny and Gerry Ryan fit in with what RTE is broadcasting, but wouldn't present a weather report elsewhere.

I saw Ryan at Eagles gig last night, the fella behind me started giving him abuse telling him to take a pay cut and that he isn't that good and that he's a fat b@stard. He was with his girlfriend.
    Did Gerry hear him or reply???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

That's a bit uncalled for, especially since he was there with his girlfriend. And he did take a paycut.

• Advertisement

That's a bit uncalled for, especially since he was there with his girlfriend. And he did take a paycut.

I agree. As much as he annoys me, he has done nothing to merit that kind of crap. I wonder is it a common occurrence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement