Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

*Obligatory positive comment about Gerry*

Did anyone hear the Spanish lady that rang him during the week when they were talking about ear piercing young infants? She practically gave him a blowjob live on air. Now I freely admit to being a fan of the show(possibly the only one on here) but this woman was something else. It was quite amusing.

Yes..absolutely hillarious..Definatly not a plant to try and make him sound edgy.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

complusive listening this morning,
    I've never heard him this angry :eek:
    It was about a guy and his crazy neighbours and the law not being interested in his case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

It was absolutely unreal. I've never heard him get that upset before.:eek: He was actually shouting down the mic as load as he could. I've never heard the likes. Fair play to him for standing up for the poor guy, though. I only heard the first hour of the show. Did he return to the subject at some point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

Anyone hear Gerry saying that the reason he wasn't in for a few days this week was that he was in Spain with the "Irish Bridgeststone Team" (no, me neither) persuading Formula 1 to come back to RTE???????:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I actually tuned into his show for the first time in my life this week (I'm 39).

Let me get this straight - all he does is read out what's in the newspapers and takes a couple of calls from joe public? Is that IT?!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

I actually tuned into his show for the first time in my life this week (I'm 39).

Let me get this straight - all he does is read out what's in the newspapers and takes a couple of calls from joe public? Is that IT?!?

NO, you fool !

he has to pick up his pay >> €250,000 every so often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Let's be clear. You're 39, obviously literate, you've been subscribing to these forums for five years, yet you still tuned in? :confused:

Woman rang in this morning telling that her daughter had taken a topless photo of herself on her mobile phone and sent it out to someone.
    It didn't take long for Gerry to gravelly whisper to the (obviously upset) woman "What age were you when a boy took your bra off???"
    She whimpered about not being able to remember and he sleazed" Come on, ballpark age.....15...16????"
    He then slowly explained to her about the chances are, that her teenage daughter and her boyfriend would be "lying down on the sofa, literally masterbating each other" when she was out of the house.
    This guy is a fantasist. He sounds more and more like an irony free, sleazy David Brent every day.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I can imagine what he was doing in the studio while talking to her. Drinking tea obviously.;)

And whats the story with Evelyn O'Rourke. She really gets up my nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

bilko1234 wrote: »
    Woman rang in this morning telling that her daughter had taken a topless photo of herself on her mobile phone and sent it out to someone.
    It didn't take long for Gerry to gravelly whisper to the (obviously upset) woman "What age were you when a boy took your bra off???"
    She whimpered about not being able to remember and he sleazed" Come on, ballpark age.....15...16????"
    He then slowly explained to her about the chances are, that her teenage daughter and her boyfriend would be "lying down on the sofa, literally masterbating each other" when she was out of the house.
    This guy is a fantasist. He sounds more and more like an irony free, sleazy David Brent every day.:mad:

I heard that, so uncomfortable :o

• Advertisement

I heard that, so uncomfortable :o

Here's a quote from his book about what he thinks of himself:

"I think anybody who's in the business of interviewing people is a flirt.
    You have to be.
    Yu tempt and tease people to tell you things.

And of course i've been interviewing people now for a quarter of a century..i'm quite conscious that i have a..flirtatious personality.

And i do have this kind of defensive flirting technique which makes people feel they're getting the best side of me,but in fact its more a sort of charm pill than anything else.

I think my voice has quite a powerfull effect-on men and women.

It carries with it the resonance of "Oh i'm speaking to your man".

Its a sort of Rock-Star-Cum-Dermot-Gavin thing".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Dr Sinnott

I see his show is to be sponsored by Lowlow butter! Oh the irony.

THE only consolation we can take from Bernard Dunne’s defeat at the O2 Arena last night was that DJ Gerry Ryan was resoundly booed by the vast majority of the 9,000 capacity crowd when he was introduced to the audience.
    Ryan didn’t do or say anything that caused offence. He was booed for simply being there, for existing. No one can put their finger on why nearly everyone in the country hates Ryan, but we have got to trust the immaculate instinct of the Irish people on these matters.:D

Courtesy of Bock the Robber!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

You serious? God, that's not good for him, why was he introduced anyway?

lightening wrote: »
    You serious? God, that's not good for him, why was he introduced anyway?
    'cause it's a tradition at big boxing bouts.
    Back in the seventies and eighties, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Jack Nicholson et al would be introduced to the crowd as they took their seats before Ali vs Frazier etc.

bilko1234 wrote: »
    'cause it's a tradition at big boxing bouts.
    Back in the seventies and eighties, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Jack Nicholson et al would be introduced to the crowd as they took their seats before Ali vs Frazier etc.

Oh right. Never been to a fight to be honest, would like to sometime... That's gas, I'd say Ryan LOVED that. (until he got booed) Did he react to the booing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭stez

Hi guys, I'm not a regular here but I was at the fight and was having a bit of a google to see if any newspapers etc. reported the booing dished out to Ol' Fishface. Then I find this pretty hilarious thread.

Before all the big fights Marty 'Sloth' Morrissey gets up into the ring and attempts to whip the baying crowd into a frenzy. All just a bit of craic despite the mandatory rendition of Ole Ole...why do we have to sing this at every gathering of Irish people?! Anywho, it's generally other members of the Irish sporting fraternity that Marty introduces to the crowd, they get up, embarrissingly acknowledge the crowd and sit down again. On Saturday, there was assorted GAA players, Brian O'Driscoll and Katie Taylor who deservedly got a rapturous applause. He will also introduce a couple of Irish 'celebrities'...on Saturday we were treated to Brendan 'I rob all my material off Billy Connolly' O'Carroll and Ol' Fishface himself. Unfortunately O'Carroll got a bit of a cheer but when Ryan's name was called out there followed some fierce angry booing and I found myself booing the fat tosser as well. It was like a wave of hatred swept across the crowd. The funny thing was seeing Ryan's face on the big screen. He was about to stand up and acknowledge the crowd but as soon as he hears the booing he sits down with a big red face and attempts to laugh it off.

This is exactly what Ryan needed. The self-proclaimed 'man of the people' has at last seen his adoring public physically turn against him. Although I suppose his 'show' is haemorrhaging listeners. After all his paycut bull****, hopefully this has brought him back down to earth with a crash. Silly question but as I don't listen to his 'show' I don't know but I don't suppose he made any mention of it?

The funny thing is I accidentally found myself listening to RTE 'Wildman' Del Mooney and he was talking to Paddy O'Gorman who had been at the fight. He mentioned the booing for Ryan. Derek was all, now why would they be booing Gerry, acting surprised and amazed. Haha hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭akaredtop

Yes he thinks he is a man of the people. But how can a man who has admitted that the Four Seasons is his second home be close to the ordinary person.He got his answer last Saturday night and should reflect on it.

akaredtop wrote: »
    how can a man who has admitted that the Four Seasons is his second home be close to the ordinary person.He got his answer last Saturday night and should reflect on it.

Yeah, actually, I think he referred to the Four Seasons as "his canteen"!! Even worser! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Lads!!! please steady up,look around yourselves and L I S T E N to what is going on .

Ok , here's how it works, Marty gets the gig of whipping up the crowd, who has he in the audience on the FREELOADERS BENCH??

Half of RTE thats who.

You see these "celebrities" give authenticity to the gig,as, Jaysus, if Ryan and Mooney and Tubridy are there it must be good!!!

Forgetting of course that these balubas are there for free.

Look, there is always another agenda,always a backdrop ,always a vested interest.

Quid pro Quo as they say.

:D But in this case they are playing with your and my money:cool:

For their own agrandisment.

NEVER FORGET THAT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

stez wrote: »
    Marty 'Sloth' Morrissey
    Haha, he is rather sloth like. I wonder if he likes baby ruths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

So Gerry was on his frequent we must monitor the whole internet or ban it rant today.
    Because the nursery workers in the child abuse case in the UK made contact on the facebook, it's all facebooks fault and they should have to monitor all communication between there members and we must monitor all texts and things as well.

Apparently he says there are boards out there were you can say anything you want about people and nothing can be done :eek:
    Won't somebody think of the children... and talentless overpaid RTE "stars".

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

dloob wrote: »
    So Gerry was on his frequent we must monitor the whole internet or ban it rant today.
    Because the nursery workers in the child abuse case in the UK made contact on the facebook, it's all facebooks fault and they should have to monitor all communication between there members and we must monitor all texts and things as well.

Apparently he says there are boards out there were you can say anything you want about people and nothing can be done :eek:
    Won't somebody think of the children... and talentless overpaid RTE "stars".

I heard that as well,
    I think he was having a go at boards and this thread (just a guess) by the way he was talking. As in you can say what you want and your not held to account in terms of insulting etc. Also had a go a the moderators who are not tough enough in his opinion.
    To be fair, If this thread was about me personally and I read through all of it it I'd suppose I'd be a little annoyed too :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Jezzer, if you're reading, you have the right to reply here, no problems with that.

But a reminder: You are allowed to criticize the presenters in terms of their presenting styles, however their personal lives and appearance are not fair game, anywhere in this forum. Please report any posts you feel are breaking the charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭akaredtop

OK I will stick to his lack of talent then.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'm not joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

He had to be referring to this thread this morning – hijacked the caller’s whole discussion about the Plymouth case with the complaints about the “viciousness” and “hate” expressed on “the boards”.

Yet he was defending Tommy Tiernan’s holocaust joke there last week on the grounds that he was only out to provoke a reaction (love to hear Tommy make Gerry jokes sometime and see what he'd think of those)

tbh wrote: »

You are allowed to criticize the presenters in terms of their presenting styles, however their personal lives and appearance are not fair game, anywhere in this forum. .

Really? In the last few pages on this thread, there have been references to G being physically thick skinned, a hippo, having the physical girth of a Roman Colosseum, being morbidly obese and being a conceited tub of lard without any mod intervention, so don’t know how you can say presenter's appearance is not fair game in fairness??.

I wont mention Gerry's appearance.
    But he has all the personality of ten pounds of shiite in a five pound bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭icanhearjimi

its a good show, but i just have to turn it off when that Fiona Looney one is on it, she's just terrible. With her constant sarcasm and going on about her big tits, going to mass, and how stupid men are. She should be taken off it. We dont care what you're opinion is. And is there some unwritten contract that he has to play at least 1 U2 song every day? we know you love them, listen to them in your own time. I dont want to hear them. And the way he says 'want' really annoys me. listen out for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭jonny oxford

tbh wrote: »
    But a reminder: You are allowed to criticize the presenters in terms of their presenting styles, however their personal lives and appearance are not fair game, anywhere in this forum. Please report any posts you feel are breaking the charter.

Ha, yeah right!! Have you read this thread? :confused:

its a good show, but i just have to turn it off when that Fiona Looney one is on it.

Everytime shes on you can predict exactly how the segment will go, it's so similar every week even down to the phrases she will come out with.

They will at some stage tell of a time they/he/she were "very very drunk" in the style of that Fast Show sketch.

Fiona and/or Gerry will exclaim that she is a "lay-dee" while putting on a strange and annoying accent.

Fiona will tell of how shes not interested in her piece or just cant be bothered finishing it

Eventually the conversation will reach the point where, female (the "fell-oo-ja") or male (the "hows your father"), genitals are discussed in some form.

It's almost as though they have a checklist. Consistent if nothing else I suppose.

Does anyone know if Fiona is actually paid for her contribution?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement