Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

There will always be an appreciation for a 'gerry ryan' type of character on radio/TV, mainly by those who watch TV3, read about the likes of Jordan & Peter Andre and buy Berties' book.
    Live and let live I'd say!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

bmaxi wrote: »
    Not sure I agree with that. If a subject is raised in which you have an interest, you will not switch off mentally. If it is a subject that particularly incites you, then having it presented by an incompetent will only cause more stress.

Or having an intersesting subject derailed be an ego-centric presenter,hell-bent on insinuating smut or body-parts references into the conversation at every juncture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

The Muppet wrote: »
    Thats suggests that people listen to the radio like they would a converstaion. Radio is not like that, it's just background noise really, If you don't like it switch off mentally even if the audio is still there.

Speaking personally, that's not always possible. The more one tries to ignore something which annoys them, the more in-your-face and harder to block out it becomes, unfortunately.

I realise that I don't speak for everyone, but, as has happened earlier in the thread, it really does puzzle me when people who have taken umbrage at the way the thread is developing resort to the whole "if you don't like it, turn it off" argument. Would that I could.

I don't listen to the Gerry Ryan show regularly for the express purpose of having something to complain about. Occasionally, I find myself in a situation where I cannot help but listen, and generally, on those occasions I dislike the format, content and presentation immensely. If that happens, I feel kinda entitled to have an oul moan about it. It is a discussion board, after all. :)

The thread would be pretty lame if it were simply full of glowing comments from fans of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

The thread would be pretty lame if it were simply full of glowing comments from fans of the show.

I'll not be suprised to learn that the recent "sure isn't he great!" posters were from fans of the show based in Montrose, going on the offensive given the recent booing G. Ryan recieved at the boxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'll not be suprised to learn that the recent "sure isn't he great!" posters were from fans of the show based in Montrose, going on the offensive given the recent booing G. Ryan recieved at the boxing.

the booing means nothing tbh. A lot of the people booing would be the most excited people in Ireland if they got to shake hands with Gerry and would still be talking about it years later.

I'm not saying I like the guy, but the booing means nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I don't listen to the Gerry Ryan show regularly for the express purpose of having something to complain about. Occasionally, I find myself in a situation where I cannot help but listen, and generally, on those occasions I dislike the format, content and presentation immensely. If that happens, I feel kinda entitled to have an oul moan about it. It is a discussion board, after all. :)

Thats fair comment and everyone is entitled to their opinion, The problem here is that some have offered their opinion interlaced with insults and ignorant comments. I doubt many of them have a clue about broadcasting or would know what the inside of a studio looked like.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Another dig at boards.ie first thing this morning from Mr Ryan,he draws the comparison between the thugs from Limerick broadcasting death threats to rival gang members on you tube and boards allowing any sort of criticism of people in the public arena eg him

FREE SPEECH MAN!!!!!

every time he mentions it, we get new members. Thanks Ger!

btw, if you want me to go on the show and defend the criticism, I'd be happy to. PM me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

Another dig at boards.ie first thing this morning from Mr Ryan,he draws the comparison between the thugs from Limerick broadcasting death threats to rival gang members on you tube and boards allowing any sort of criticism of people in the public arena eg him

FREE SPEECH MAN!!!!!

Heard that.
    He seemed to be especially vitriolic when forming the word "Boards" as if something extremely unpleasant had landed on his dinner plate!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭whynotwhycanti

he has to be one of the most offensive, ignorant, self righteous people on the radio. Sometimes when i am in the unfortunate situation of having to listen to him involuntarily i honestly feel like puking. You know the old expression, you have a face for radio, well he really doesn't have a voice for radio. You hear him slurping his tea, his heavy breathing, his slobbering, it is so unbelievably vile to listen to.

And to the few people here defending him, saying he is a talented broadcaster etc etc etc. What an utter load of sh&te. After the broadcasters fees for 2008 were released last Friday who was out to justify his ridiculous salary, none other than the man himself saying he is worth every penny because of the advertising revenue his slot generates. A couple of issues I have with this, you could put a monkey in his place and they'd still generate the same amount of money, its the prime time slot on one of the main national radio stations. Another issue I have is that, correct me if I’m wrong, RTEs budget is going to be approx 60 million under this year. We all know the number one outgoing for any company is paying its staff so this would signal that RTE are paying their staff to much. In fact, its a no brainier, their staff are the most overly paid broadcasters in the world, and I’m not surprised by the the state the country is in now. While Gerry was justifying his ridiculous salary he forgot to mention RTEs budgetary problems or even their proposals to increase the licence fee.

If he was working for the bbc, he would be on 150,000 - 200,000 absolute maximum based on the number of viewers and that’s the bloody bbc. The fact is that after he hosted the Eurovision, when the world watched in awe the riverdance, if he was ever going to be headhunted that was the time and nobody wanted him because he is a useless broadcaster. Don't try and say its a profession that only a skilled few could do, anybody could do it but only a few could do it as badly as him and get paid that much money. It really just personifies why this country is in such a mess, when we're paying this joke over half a million a year of our hard earned money. This is the most important factor, we pay his salary and as such should be able to say what we want about him. If he doesn’t like that, then get him to go over to private radio where his salary will entirely be made up of advertising revenue, his old favourite argument.

These boards are full of offensive stuff about all people so why the sudden turnaround on what people say about Gerry Ryan. What ever happened to free speech. The worst part is that when people on here criticise his weight, his habits, his offensive attitude, they are just stating the facts but now that doesn't seem to be allowed. Stick up for yourself boards.ie, he’s on the radio criticisng you guys.

he has to be one of the most offensive, ignorant, self righteous people on the radio. Sometimes when i am in the unfortunate situation of having to listen to him involuntarily i honestly feel like puking. You know the old expression, you have a face for radio, well he really doesn't have a voice for radio. You hear him slurping his tea, his heavy breathing, his slobbering, it is so unbelievably vile to listen to.

And to the few people here defending him, saying he is a talented broadcaster etc etc etc. What an utter load of sh&te. After the broadcasters fees for 2008 were released last Friday who was out to justify his ridiculous salary, none other than the man himself saying he is worth every penny because of the advertising revenue his slot generates. A couple of issues I have with this, you could put a monkey in his place and they'd still generate the same amount of money, its the prime time slot on one of the main national radio stations. Another issue I have is that, correct me if I’m wrong, RTEs budget is going to be approx 60 million under this year. We all know the number one outgoing for any company is paying its staff so this would signal that RTE are paying their staff to much. In fact, its a no brainier, their staff are the most overly paid broadcasters in the world, and I’m not surprised by the the state the country is in now. While Gerry was justifying his ridiculous salary he forgot to mention RTEs budgetary problems or even their proposals to increase the licence fee.

If he was working for the bbc, he would be on 150,000 - 200,000 absolute maximum based on the number of viewers and that’s the bloody bbc. The fact is that after he hosted the Eurovision, when the world watched in awe the riverdance, if he was ever going to be headhunted that was the time and nobody wanted him because he is a useless broadcaster. Don't try and say its a profession that only a skilled few could do, anybody could do it but only a few could do it as badly as him and get paid that much money. It really just personifies why this country is in such a mess, when we're paying this joke over half a million a year of our hard earned money. This is the most important factor, we pay his salary and as such should be able to say what we want about him. If he doesn’t like that, then get him to go over to private radio where his salary will entirely be made up of advertising revenue, his old favourite argument.

These boards are full of offensive stuff about all people so why the sudden turnaround on what people say about Gerry Ryan. What ever happened to free speech. The worst part is that when people on here criticise his weight, his habits, his offensive attitude, they are just stating the facts but now that doesn't seem to be allowed. Stick up for yourself boards.ie, he’s on the radio criticisng you guys.

There is no freedom of speech on boards. This forum is the radio forum. Physical appearance has no relevance on presenting skills.
    You either accept this, and post within the rules, or you get removed from the forum - it's all the same to me.

i will post within the rules and i believe my last post was within the rules, albeit it just about. You never now, his physical appearance may affect his broadcasting skills though, dropping food on the equipment, his belly accidently hitting off the wrong buttons and i will say you can tell from his voice the state of his physical self and to me his voice on the radio is repulsive. Nonetheless i will post within the rules

i will post within the rules and i believe my last post was within the rules, albeit it just about. You never now, his physical appearance may affect his broadcasting skills though, dropping food on the equipment, his belly accidently hitting off the wrong buttons and i will say you can tell from his voice the state of his physical self and to me his voice on the radio is repulsive. Nonetheless i will post within the rules

of course you will. If you don't, you'll be gone. It's not like you have a choice here. Any further comments about moderation should go to feedback or helpdesk.

This thread is about the Gerry Ryan Show, subsequent off-topic posts will be deleted, and the poster banned or infracted.

of course i have a choice, what are you on about. I could go on a big rant right now, say what everybody would like to hear about gerry ryan and how poor his show is and you would then ban me, but i would have made my choice. You're not some sort of cyber dictator, if you want that sort of power move to china mate

of course i have a choice, what are you on about. I could go on a big rant right now, say what everybody would like to hear about gerry ryan and how poor his show is and you would then ban me, but i would have made my choice. You're not some sort of cyber dictator, if you want that sort of power move to china mate

banned for three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'll add that if you aren't happy with the policies of this forum you can take it up in the Feedback forum

We've always listened and taken things on board and the general consensus in the past is that people don't want threads filled with petty personal insults.

Your criticism of Ryan or other presenters would be far more effective without relying on insults. It only reflects badly on yourself if you feel the need to resort to it.

tbh wrote: »
    the booing means nothing tbh. A lot of the people booing would be the most excited people in Ireland if they got to shake hands with Gerry and would still be talking about it years later.

I'm not saying I like the guy, but the booing means nothing.

That's unfair. It's Gerry Ryan we're talking about here.

He knows he gets dogs abuse here, and rightly so. He's a terrible broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Pfft... Most of these so-called "megathreads" are little more than kilothreads...

Gerry Ryan was booed? Who cares... Nothing wrong with boos. Booing doesn't mean nobody likes you, it means some people hate you. In other words, if 90,000 people liked you and 10,000 people hated you there'd be some pretty loud boos but it's still a good result, whereas if no one like you there'd just be silence which would be a lot worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

I think what upsets most people is the incredible wages these self obesed;) obsessed glorified DJ’s are paid.
    If Ryan worked for a private station, I’d say fair paly to him, the station obviously feels he’s worth it. (I still wouldn’t listen to the tripe)
    I have a bill on my fridge for €160 for the license fee due OCT 31.

It sickens me to think of him criticising the boards because we can openly discuss RTE programming FOR FREE!
    How far do you think I would get on “the ryanline” if I were to criticise his or other or lame shows even though I reluctantly pay for the crap?

TIP to Gerry, If you don’t like what your reading here, stop reading it. I don’t listen to 2fm because I think your show is rubbish and it aggrevates me to think of my €160 going to pay you ridiculous salary.

• Advertisement

Who cares? Gerry Ryan cares. Gerry is going on an offensive and trying to "set the record straight". He's recently been saying he's worth every penny he gets paid and he keeps having a go at Boards because of this thread.

He's recently been saying he's worth every penny he gets paid and he keeps having a go at Boards because of this thread.

Traditionally it’s the "customer" that decides if a product or service is up to scratch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Gerry Ryan..in your book you say

"The radio show brings in a huge amount of 2FM's revenue.
    Without the money,i think that 2FM,if not the entire radio division,would be in very serious difficulties.
    So yes,its a powerfull position to be in....Am i that indispensable?I think that probably i am.But i'm not so sure whether i have the cojones to push it".

Go on then,leave..see how indispnsable you really are..go to another radio station and demand 600 grand a year for reading the newspapers and talking about your micky...see what they say to you.
    The reason there's "hatred and viciousness on the boards" is because Gerry Ryan's ego is not justified by his talent..he's a piss-poor presenter of an outmoded show and needs to be kicked off the airwaves for ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

i tried before to see if 3 different posters could post 3 separate positive comments in a row about gerry.

easy u might think ? couldnt do it before.

lets try again.

1. in fairness, he's a heavyweight in broadcasting.

i tried before to see if 3 different posters could post 3 separate positive comments in a row about gerry.

easy u might think ? couldnt do it before.

lets try again.

1. in fairness, he's a heavyweight in broadcasting.

2. He's not on Newstalk, sorry manfromAlantis, it's the best i can do!

http://www.rte.ie/about/pressreleases/2009/0820/radioibistatement20082009.html

Firstly, it is important to point out that RTÉ 2fm is not funded by the licence fee. Public money does not go to 2fm. To suggest that a re-orientation of 2fm constitutes a watering-down of RTÉ's public service broadcasting remit is a nonsense in that regard alone. RTÉ is in receipt of licence fee, and these monies are channelled into RTÉ Television, which has significant output for this age group, as well as into RTÉ Radio 1, RTÉ lyric fm and RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta.

spadder wrote: »
    I think what upsets most people is the incredible wages these self obesed;) obsessed glorified DJ’s are paid.
    If Ryan worked for a private station, I’d say fair paly to him, the station obviously feels he’s worth it. (I still wouldn’t listen to the tripe)
    I have a bill on my fridge for €160 for the license fee due OCT 31.

It sickens me to think of him criticising the boards because we can openly discuss RTE programming FOR FREE!
    How far do you think I would get on “the ryanline” if I were to criticise his or other or lame shows even though I reluctantly pay for the crap?

TIP to Gerry, If you don’t like what your reading here, stop reading it. I don’t listen to 2fm because I think your show is rubbish and it aggrevates me to think of my €160 going to pay you ridiculous salary.

So, now you know you're not paying him a cent, I presume your opinion is "Fair play to him"?

http://www.rte.ie/about/pressreleases/2009/0820/radioibistatement20082009.html

Firstly, it is important to point out that RTÉ 2fm is not funded by the licence fee. Public money does not go to 2fm. To suggest that a re-orientation of 2fm constitutes a watering-down of RTÉ's public service broadcasting remit is a nonsense in that regard alone. RTÉ is in receipt of licence fee, and these monies are channelled into RTÉ Television, which has significant output for this age group, as well as into RTÉ Radio 1, RTÉ lyric fm and RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta.

So if you took 2fm out of Montrose, (technical support, canteens,HR dept, adminstration, payroll, IT Dept,pensions,rent, wages etc) you would have a stand alone viable business similar to Today FM ?

I think not.

spadder wrote: »
    So if you took 2fm out of Montrose, (technical support, canteens,HR dept, adminstration, payroll, IT Dept,pensions,rent, wages etc) you would have a stand alone viable business similar to Today FM ?

I think not.

license money doesn't go to 2fm, fact.

• Advertisement

license money doesn't go to 2fm, fact.

So none of my money goes to Montrose where 2fm is based?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement