Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

tbh wrote: »
    license money doesn't go to 2fm, fact.

Balcom Management Ltd. is paid 629,865 by RTE not 2fm. Another 160 million would have to be added to RTE's budget shortfall if it were not for the licence fee. So I think it is safe to say, licence fee payers subsidise Gerry Ryan's pay packet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

spadder wrote: »
    So none of my money goes to Montrose where 2fm is based?

your whole rant was based around the fact that you were paying G. Ryan. You even said that you wouldn't have a problem with him if that was not the case. That is not the case - fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

your whole rant was based around the fact that you were paying G. Ryan. You even said that you wouldn't have a problem with him if that was not the case. That is not the case - fact.

I pay An post the license fee, so by your reasoning, I don't even pay RTE.
    Ryan is a contractor working for RTE. I pay RTE
    Ryan gets my and other licensee fee payers hard earned cash.

2fm is not a seperate entity from RTE.

I pay An post the license fee, so by your reasoning, I don't even pay RTE.
    Ryan is a contractor working for RTE. I pay RTE
    Ryan gets my and other licensee fee payers hard earned cash.

http://www.rte.ie/about/literature/licencefee.pdf
    How is the Licence Fee spent?
    In 2006, the Licence Fee income was distributed across the RTÉ services as
    illustrated in this chart.
    44% RTÉ One
    25% RTÉ Two
    8% RTÉ Radio 1
    8% RTÉ Performing Groups
    6% RTÉ RnaG
    5% Support provided to TG4
    4% RTÉ lyric fm

NOTE: RTÉ 2fm and RTÉ Publishing (RTÉ Aertel, rte.ie,
    RTÉ Guide) did not receive any public funding.
    Source: RTÉ Annual Report 2006

• Advertisement

did not receive any public funding.

You can make it as big and bold as you want, the logic behind your arguement is still flawed. And you seem to be forgetting Operation Transformation and Ryan Confidental.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/kenny-on-83641m-as-rte-to-reveal-stars-salaries-1908973.html

"2FM's Gerry Ryan took home just under €600,000 for his radio show"

deadhead13 wrote: »
    You can make it as big and bold as you want, the logic behind your arguement is still flawed. And you seem to be forgetting Operation Transformation and Ryan Confidental.

That's Television. This is the radio forum. 2fm makes a surplus, which contributes to the costs of Radio 1.

http://www.rte.ie/about/pdfs/annual_report_2008_eng.pdf
    The funding of RTÉ Radio 1’s costs comprises:
    • RTÉ Radio 1 advertising and sponsorship
    • surpluses generated by non-channel Radio IBD commercial
    activities
    • surpluses generated by RTÉ 2fm;

2fm also pay RTE for news content. Maybe it doesn't suit you to accept that, but it's true.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/kenny-on-83641m-as-rte-to-reveal-stars-salaries-1908973.html

"2FM's Gerry Ryan took home just under €600,000 for his radio show"

I'm not disputing that that's what he's getting paid. However, once again, your whole post was centered around the fact that it was your license fee paying him. Again, you said that if he was working for an independent station, you'd say fair play to him. The fact is - and this is a FACT, provable by online references- the license fee doesn't pay his salary.

2fm is not an independant station. Although , clever accounting makes it appear like it holds it own. Without the RTE technical, financial, logistical operations paid for by the licence fee. 2fm would not exist.

2fm is not an independant station. Although , clever accounting makes it appear like it holds it own. Without the RTE technical, financial, logistical operations paid for by the licence fee. 2fm would not exist.

Supporting arguments? I'm prepared to learn from you if you know the situation better than me (wouldn't be hard), but I'm not going to entertain your arguments if you can't back them up.

• Advertisement

So, now you know you're not paying him a cent, I presume your opinion is "Fair play to him"?

"Doesn't suit me" lol. In the above statement you clearly infered that no licence payers money is involved in Gerry Ryan's salary, this clearly is not the case. Even if I was to accept your ascertion that 2fm should be viewed sperately from RTE, which I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 celticpussycat

To TBH

You cant honestly be serious that none of our licence fee goes towards his salary. Already as mentioned, you haven't addressed the fact that Ryan Confidential is on RTE 1 or 2, i really don't know because it is just such a poor show but it is definately covered by our licence fee. Okay, now for the radio. We all know that RTE is not fully supported by the taxpayer. Therefore, on a year to year basis they can decide how to allocate the licence fee. From your research, the year you have shown, no money was given to 2fm radio. Thats fine but the fact remains the same that RTE have a general budget, under which all radio and tv stations are covered. Within this budget they receive the licence fee. Although, 2fm radio did not directly receive money from the licence fee they did so indirectly as they are all apart of RTE. Its not difficult to understand but boy are you making it so.

deadhead13 wrote: »
    "Doesn't suit me" lol. In the above statement you clearly infered that no licence payers money is involved in Gerry Ryan's salary, this clearly is not the case. Even if I was to accept your ascertion that 2fm should be viewed sperately from RTE, which I don't.

so can you show me your sources please? How much license fee money went to 2fm?

To TBH

You cant honestly be serious that none of our licence fee goes towards his salary. Already as mentioned, you haven't addressed the fact that Ryan Confidential is on RTE 1 or 2, i really don't know because it is just such a poor show but it is definately covered by our licence fee.

I have. I said that that was TELEVISION, this is the RADIO forum.
    Okay, now for the radio. We all know that RTE is not fully supported by the taxpayer. Therefore, on a year to year basis they can decide how to allocate the licence fee. From your research, the year you have shown, no money was given to 2fm radio. Thats fine but the fact remains the same that RTE have a general budget, under which all radio and tv stations are covered. Within this budget they receive the licence fee. Although, 2fm radio did not directly receive money from the licence fee they did so indirectly as they are all apart of RTE. Its not difficult to understand but boy are you making it so.

Ok, if it's that simple, just show me the accounts that show how much license fee money went to 2fm. Shouldn't be that difficult :)

But its the same point, he is paid by the taxpayer which you are trying to disprove. Why waste time and go to another forum just for that. Its pety at best and a huge waste of time. By your ignorance though at least we can conclude that he is paid directly by the taxpayer for his amazing (make me want to puke seeing him stuff his face while interviewing people) show.

Your amazing references don't disporve that he doesn't indriectly get paid by the licence fee. You don't need to see their accounts. 2fm is apart of RTE. RTE receive the licence fee which is from the taxpayer. Whether they don't give it directly to 2fm is besides the point. You have yet to prove that he isn't supported by the taxpayer. All you have shown is how RTE distribute the licence fee but in the end of the day he works for RTE.

what about ryan confidential?

TELEVISION. this is the RADIO forum.

wheres the source that shows license fee money paid Gerry Ryans 2fm salary?

Rte pays Ryan,what about the rest of the talentless goons on the staion?
    2fm operate out of a campus funded by the licence fee payers.
    They piggy back the RTE broadcast network.
    How could they not make money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

banned for three days.

ABUSE! - fact

• Advertisement

wheres the source that shows license fee money paid Gerry Ryans 2fm salary?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1009/rte.html
    "RTÉ Director General Cathal Goan has admitted the fees paid appear 'excessive' by today's standards and said they are being reduced in line with RTÉ's cost cutting programme."

testicle wrote: »
    ABUSE! - fact

banned for three days.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1009/rte.html
    "RTÉ Director General Cathal Goan has admitted the fees paid appear 'excessive' by today's standards and said they are being reduced in line with RTÉ's cost cutting programme."

says nothing about the license fee.

To TBH

You haven't proven that he isn't paid by the taxpayer. Again it is so so simple but here we go. RTE receive the taxpayers money from the licence fee. RTE pay Gerry Ryan.

To TBH

You haven't proven that he isn't paid by the taxpayer. Again it is so so simple but here we go. RTE receive the taxpayers money from the licence fee. RTE pay Gerry Ryan.

Gerry Ryan works for 2fm. I have shown again and again that 2fm receive no money from the license fee. So, all you have to do is show me something that says "Gerry Ryan is paid directly by RTE, not 2FM, and the money used to pay him is drawn from the License fee".

that'd be great, thanks.

by the way.

Setting up a second account to circumvent a ban will lead to both accounts being sitebanned, permanently.

But you still haven't proven the opposite. 2fm is apart of RTE, they operate from the same campus, use the same facilities so indirectly at least the licence fee supports Gerry Ryan if not pays him. For all you know, the licence fee may pay all of RTE staff, 2fm, all radio and tv staions included and the rest of the overheads are covered by advertising revenue. You yourself do not know how RTE is run but the fact remains that 2fm is apart of RTE, RTE is funded by the taxpayer. 1+1=2

To TBH

How can i make an official complaint to boards about you. You ban Testicle because he thinks you are abusing your power as moderator for banning somebody else. This is ridiculous. As a moderator you are completely out of line and it is bringing this entire forum and thread into disripute. And if you ban me, believe me i will be back, i've got alot of email adresses and it will just empower me and prove to any decent person reading these threads what a ridiculous moderator you are.

TBh

just because you are some loser computer guru, oh you have two accounts look at me i foud out. Wow oh wow. You think you can permantly ban me. Go fook yourself. You can't pemantly ban me you nob, i could be in spain next week on a different account, who knows. All that is been proven is you are abusing your power as moderator. don't let it get to your head, you are only a moderator on boards.ie. It must make you feel cool, like it must help in gettin laid, when was teh last time you go laid, let me guess never. Fookin loser

• Advertisement

But you still haven't proven the opposite. 2fm is apart of RTE, they operate from the same campus, use the same facilities so indirectly at least the licence fee supports Gerry Ryan if not pays him. For all you know, the licence fee may pay all of RTE staff, 2fm, all radio and tv staions included and the rest of the overheads are covered by advertising revenue. You yourself do not know how RTE is run but the fact remains that 2fm is apart of RTE, RTE is funded by the taxpayer. 1+1=2

I don't have to prove anything. The RTE report says that 2FM is a separate business unit, and receives no license fee money. the Gerry Ryan show is on 2FM. Therefore, it is logical to assume that Gerry Ryan is paid by 2FM, not by RTE. If that is the case, he's not being paid out of license fee money. If he is being paid by RTE out of license fee money, then just show me where it says that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement