Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 celticpussycat

oh and im sure gerry ryan is readig this goign oh that guy tbh is sticking up for me, how cool is he. Please take your head out of his arse for just a second, clear the **** from your eyes and see the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

To TBH

How can i make an official complaint to boards about you. You ban Testicle because he thinks you are abusing your power as moderator for banning somebody else. This is ridiculous. As a moderator you are completely out of line and it is bringing this entire forum and thread into disripute. And if you ban me, believe me i will be back, i've got alot of email adresses and it will just empower me and prove to any decent person reading these threads what a ridiculous moderator you are.
    TBh

just because you are some loser computer guru, oh you have two accounts look at me i foud out. Wow oh wow. You think you can permantly ban me. Go fook yourself. You can't pemantly ban me you nob, i could be in spain next week on a different account, who knows. All that is been proven is you are abusing your power as moderator. don't let it get to your head, you are only a moderator on boards.ie. It must make you feel cool, like it must help in gettin laid, when was teh last time you go laid, let me guess never. Fookin loser

sorry! missed this. Obviously, you're banned. If you want to complain, you can use helpdesk.

edit: btw, it's not as good as getting laid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

tbh, a question for you.

Is 2fm a separate legal entity that employs it's own staff, or does rté employ all staff that work for all rté broadcasting arms?

Would all the money that 2fm generate go into a big "rte income pool" along with the licence fee income and government subsidies and whatever income the other broadcast media generate, or would 2fm pay it's salaries for it's staff separate?

This is the crux of the argument.

Here's the million dollar question (or the €600,000 one :) )

If 2fm were to report a massive drop in advertising income next year so that they were operating at a loss, where would the money come from to pay Gerry Ryan's salary?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

tbh wrote: »
    The Gerry Ryan show is on 2FM. Therefore, it is logical to assume that Gerry Ryan is paid by 2FM, not by RTE.

It's not logical, really. Ryan works for RTE. Part of that job is broadcasting on 2FM. Part of it isn't.

Given that his name is prominent on a list of RTE salaries, released by RTE, we have to assume that he is paid by RTE. I don't know how that could be plainer.

tbh, a question for you.

Is 2fm a separate legal entity that employs it's own staff, or does rté employ all staff that work for all rté broadcasting arms?

I don't know - I can only form a judgement based on the documents out there. I have no interest in being right or wrong, I'm just interested in the truth. If you can show me somethig that says "G Ryan is paid out of RTE money, and that money comes from the license fee" -that's good enough for me.
    Would all the money that 2fm generate go into a big "rte income pool" along with the licence fee income and government subsidies and whatever income the other broadcast media generate, or would 2fm pay it's salaries for it's staff separate?

The RTE report for 2008 says that 2fm is an independent business division. therefore, I can only assume they pay separately.

Here's the million dollar question (or the €600,000 one :) )

If 2fm were to report a massive drop in advertising income next year so that they were operating at a loss, where would the money come from to pay Gerry Ryan's salary?

yah - I see what you're driving at, and of course it's logical to assume they'd take it from RTE. But that also kind of implies that they are not doing that already, you know?

• Advertisement

It's not logical, really. Ryan works for RTE. Part of that job is broadcasting on 2FM. Part of it isn't.

Given that his name is prominent on a list of RTE salaries, released by RTE, we have to assume that he is paid by RTE. I don't know how that could be plainer.

Yes, I agree that the fact he's on the list of people paid by RTE does indeed appear to show that it's RTE money, as opposed to 2FM money, that pays him. HOwever, what could be plainer about "2FM does not receive any money from the license fee?"

I don't have any reasons for wanting to believe Ryan isn't paid out of the license fee, but all of the documentation I've found suggests that he isn't. just show me the report that shows he is, and I'm happy.

The RTE report for 2008 says that 2fm is an independent business division. therefore, I can only assume they pay separately.

does anyone know if 2fm releases it's own accounts?
    But that also kind of implies that they are not doing that already, you know?

No, it implies that 2fm's revenue covers what RTE pay for Gerry Ryan ;)

when you put it like that, it makes sense alright. So when RTE say "2FM doesn't recieve License payers money" - what does that mean?? (genuine question, by the way - for example, are other staff paid out of 2fm budgets, but presenters not?)

does anyone know if 2fm releases it's own accounts?

No, it implies that 2fm's revenue covers what RTE pay for Gerry Ryan ;)

haven't been able to find them.

when you put it like that, it makes sense alright. So when RTE say "2FM doesn't recieve License payers money" - what does that mean?? (genuine question, by the way - for example, are other staff paid out of 2fm budgets, but presenters not?)

I wouldn't be suprised if that was the case. The technical staff/researchers/admin could well be 2fm "Staff" and RTE pay the presenters as "independent contractors".

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be suprised if that was the case. The technical staff/researchers/admin could well be 2fm "Staff" and RTE pay the presenters as "independent contractors".

well now that makes me look quite the tit!

still, only through debate that the truth is found.

edit: i realise I was the only one who did not seem to know the truth. ah well.

well now that makes me look quite the tit!

still, only through debate that the truth is found.

edit: i realise I was the only one who did not seem to know the truth. ah well.

I'm only theorising, I don't have the facts myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

HOwever, what could be plainer about "2FM does not receive any money from the license fee?"

You're right that it's perfectly plain. It's also utterly unconvincing. If 2FM uses land, facilities and/or personnel which are paid for or subsidised by public money, then it is bogus to suggest that it does not "receive" that money.

It's also irrelevant to the original point, which was about Ryan's salary.

EDIT: Curse my slow typing/thinking speed. Ah well. Nothing to see here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Now, Gerry could be reading, can we get back to Gerry Bashing:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

I don't have to prove anything. The RTE report says that 2FM is a separate business unit, and receives no license fee money. the Gerry Ryan show is on 2FM. Therefore, it is logical to assume that Gerry Ryan is paid by 2FM, not by RTE. If that is the case, he's not being paid out of license fee money. If he is being paid by RTE out of license fee money, then just show me where it says that.

This is how RTE publish their top 10 earners and to me this quite clearly implies Gerry Ryan's company is paid by RTE not 2fm.

http://www.rte.ie/about/top10payments_2004.pdf

deadhead13 wrote: »
    This is how RTE publish their top 10 earners and to me this quite clearly implies Gerry Ryan's company is paid by RTE not 2fm.

http://www.rte.ie/about/top10payments_2004.pdf

ok, i could argue that the money used to pay him may not have come from the license fee pool, but I accept that it probably all goes into one overall pot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 TheMorningLine

Gets paid too much in any event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭jonny oxford

Jaysus, poor oul TBH, your certainly being kept on yer toes these days:D

Good to see the charter being upheld though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

If I can interupt this thread with a comment about his show....;)
    Last week he had a guy on from New Zealand about that little girl who went missing, and, well I found it a bit creepy. They were chatting about the fact that kids don't go missing in NZ and Gerry pops in with "Well of course the fact that she could have been taken for sexual purposes must now be considered"....the guy on the line sounded a little uncomfortable with this and I thought it unnecessary.
    And today he mentions that her body was found "Well at least she more than likely wasn't sexually abused"....is it just me or is something wrong here??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

And today he mentions that her body was found "Well at least she more than likely wasn't sexually abused"....is it just me or is something wrong here??

ya, its just you:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No its not you, Ryan has a gutter mind - he always did. That he is a greying oily middle aged fella of "well set" repose just makes it seem all the creepier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Someone metioned earlier that Ryan has been ranting about the Boards on his show.

Are there any Podcasts of this? I never listen to his drivel, but I would love to hear how we wind him up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

If I can interupt this thread with a comment about his show....;)
    Last week he had a guy on from New Zealand about that little girl who went missing, and, well I found it a bit creepy. They were chatting about the fact that kids don't go missing in NZ and Gerry pops in with "Well of course the fact that she could have been taken for sexual purposes must now be considered"....the guy on the line sounded a little uncomfortable with this and I thought it unnecessary.

That would seem to imply that he has some obsession with the sexual abuse of minors...disgsusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

Degsy wrote: »
    That would seem to imply that he has some obsession with the sexual abuse of minors...disgsusting.

Ooooch!

bilko1234 wrote: »
    Ooooch!

Fcuck him..its always "masturbation this and sexual abuse that"..he needs to cop onto the fact that people dont want to hear this shiite first thing in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

he is really going to love this lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I suppose a sick mind could take that interpretation. Me I'd think he was doing his job properly or should he just ignore the fact that most of these cases are sexually related .

The Muppet wrote: »
    I suppose a sick mind could take that interpretation. Me I'd think he was doing his job properly or should he just ignore the fact that most of these cases are sexually related .

The fact?
    What fact?
    Wasnt the kid discovered dead in a drain?
    Its not for him to start discussing possible sexual abuse of children before anybody has established whats happenedf to them..he could've said "Well,she may have been abducted" but no..he jumps straight in talking about sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The fact?
    What fact?
    Wasnt the kid discovered dead in a drain?
    Its not for him to start discussing possible sexual abuse of children before anybody has established whats happenedf to them..he could've said "Well,she may have been abducted" but no..he jumps straight in talking about sex.

care to tell me of your broadcasting experience as you appear to be in the dark of what's entailed when interviewing. Did you hear this interview?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Muppet wrote: »

80% of the time when he interviews a woman on his show no matter what the subject he always steers the conversation around to sexual matters

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement