Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    and if its recycled as Andrex, it may still end up in your house anyway....

Fit for purpose.

Well it#ll make penguin think twice about stumping up 100 grand to a pillock with no writing ability next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

Degsy wrote: »
    Well it#ll make penguin think twice about stumping up 100 grand to a pillock with no writing ability next time.

Oh another thing...he didn't actuallly write it himself. Instead, he was "interviewed" over a period by some ghost writer and collaborated on the polishing and editing.
    They then BOTH claimed tax free status under the Artist Exemption Scheme as writers of this weighty tome. To qualify, it was deemed to have "Cultural and/or Artistic merit".
    Not enough investigation done into how he could possibly have kept 100 grand tax free having not written it!

Another quote methinks:

"I cant actually tell you to this day how powerfull an effect Livinia Kerwick's call had on me,the show and the people working on it.
    It was the moment when i felt i'd been elected.
    I am minister for everything.
    I'm not elected.I have no psychological training.Articulate,maybe but in that moment,i became absolutely convinced that i was a significant figure"

So somebody rings in to say they were raped and yer man uses it to big himself up..staggering really how deluded this man is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I must say, I'm loving the quotes, but I have to ask - where are they coming from? did you buy it? (you've probably said this already, sorry)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Was listening today for a few minutes, Gerry insisted on doing the whole show while impersonating a ladyee. Pity he does such a poor job in putting on a womans voice. Wonder if he'll switch back to his own (equally annoying) voice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

gerrys gonna have a bash at us today

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Yep he kinda did already....ranting about internet hate campaigns and how we should take a leaf from China's book and start monitoring every syllable that's typed on the internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

he took the day off yesterday to re-visit his box collection of Sex and the City

Yep he kinda did already....ranting about internet hate campaigns and how we should take a leaf from China's book and start monitoring every syllable that's typed on the internet!

Fair enough..he can monitor the internet if everybody else gets to censor his show.

tbh wrote: »
    I must say, I'm loving the quotes, but I have to ask - where are they coming from? did you buy it? (you've probably said this already, sorry)

Course not..we got a copy from penguin under copyright..

Edit..Gerry you fcuckin prat..shut up about that poxy t une..the bloke is telling you its NOT a 1920's song..its just a common sequence of strings..you're not an expert and you're making an utter fool of yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

grand thats U2 and harry crosby referenced for today

dolittle wrote: »
    grand thats U2 and harry crosby referenced for today
    Harry gave him a german officer's watch..how wonderfull..oh yeah and bono left a cigar behind..

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Seems like people on Radiowaves agree with Gerry! http://www.radiowavesforum.com/rw/showthread.php?t=18988

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Seems like people on Radiowaves agree with Gerry! http://www.radiowavesforum.com/rw/showthread.php?t=18988
    Two users do not a consensus make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭ceepeedee

But that second guy's grammar is bordering on impeccable; pity about his punctuation though. I think he's a troll, he's explaining how posters blind readers with the science of language, but he does it by blinding us with the science of language. Feckin eejit.

I'm practising what I used to preach and don't listen to Gerry Ryan any more. I read this thread instead lol

A bunch of bloody clowns..seething about the "cowardly internet warriors" from behind thier computer screens and usernames.
    851e308a2a40dd5d.jpg

Oh the irony.

#3 Radio Bored
    I'm bored

Quote:
    Originally Posted by leggo viewpost.gif
    It's not going to happen anytime soon. You can't take people's right to an opinion away from them...but I'd love for people to at least held accountable for their views by taking away the anonymous aspect of the web someday. Some regulation (insofar as slander etc) would be much welcome.

Should negative opinions from cowards who don't make themselves accountable by staying anonymous and are protected by site owners be respected in any way anyway?
    user_offline.gif

I take it Leggo is his real name then..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

More quotes from the book Degsy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Long live the Gerry Ryan Darkened Room Depreciation Society

lightening wrote: »
    More quotes from the book Degsy...

"Harry Crosbie.I've known him for almost my entire broadcasting career.
    He's been a very powerfull influence.He's one of those iconic property moguls who's managed to become something of an irish Pharaoh.The taoiseach makes speecehs about Harry's vision and other developers drool at the thought of the deals he's managed to do.When Harry tels you something something's good..you know its good..if he says its shiit,you know its shiit.
    Micheal Flatley is another.He's just so strong with a great sense of personal belief.He's quite like Bono in a lot of ways;he singles out people he thinks are the best at what they do.
    Of course,the Irish,we've found a way to slag Bono and Micheal Flatley.Nowhere in the world do they slag Micheal Flatley and Bono,but we do here"

Namedropping without actually saying anything..and a cautionary tale of begrudgery for the ordinary man.."People that are richer than you are better than you".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

"The Irish people are terrible begrudgers. We're well known for it. I was saying to Harry Crosbie only the other night, as we passed oysters from mouth to mouth in Hugh Hefner's Bono-shaped swimming pool: Harry, the Irish people are terrible begrudgers. If one of them walked in here and saw me polishing your hand-engraved ivory cigar-holder with a two-thousand euro bottle of chablis, while cupping one Bartholomew J Ahern's Gucci merkin with my other hand, would they understand? Would they hell, Harry. They'd be on the internet in an instant, in their darkened rooms - begrudging. Because that, my friends, is all they're good for."

(OK, I haven't found the book yet. But I think I've got the gist from Degsy.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Degsy wrote: »
    #3 Radio Bored
    I'm bored

Quote:
    Originally Posted by leggo viewpost.gif
    It's not going to happen anytime soon. You can't take people's right to an opinion away from them...but I'd love for people to at least held accountable for their views by taking away the anonymous aspect of the web someday. Some regulation (insofar as slander etc) would be much welcome.

Should negative opinions from cowards who don't make themselves accountable by staying anonymous and are protected by site owners be respected in any way anyway?
    user_offline.gif

I take it Leggo is his real name then..

Ger Leggett. Get it?

Also, much like my sig here, on that particular message board there's an ad for a project that I'm involved in...so if you WANT to find more info about me...I'm hardly hiding it from you. Just look below. It's a little weird though that you'd WANT more info, but hey...

You could've just PM'd me on that board and asked instead of saying it in a thread where you didn't think I'd read it...

leggo wrote: »
    Ger Leggett. Get it?

Hi Ger. I'm glad you've joined the thread.

I'm curious about what you mean about "cowards not making themselves accountable"? It seems strange to assume that a pen-name is automatically "cowardly", or to discount any criticism that doesn't come with the critic's GPS co-ordinates.

There is, indeed, a tradition of critical pseudonymity that goes back at least as far as George Bernard Shaw's music reviews, James Joyce's book reviews, and so on - right up to Square-Eyes on Private eye. It really is not new to the internet. It's a long tradition, despite what many unhistorical anti-internet rants might have you believe.

I can reassure you about the issue of accountability too. Irish libel laws do apply to internet communication, anonymous or not. It would be a very easy matter to track down the "real" identity of anyone on boards.

This is what strikes me as so childish and undignified about Gerry Ryan's "darkened rooms" whinge. If he really feels traduced, he can sue. If he feels it's merely unfair criticism, he can either tackle it directly or ignore it. But attempting to configure it all as invalid or shameful, simply because it's on the internet, is moronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

For the record, *I* didn't actually use the word cowardly. That was misleading by the person who originally quoted me. And I don't believe that ALL people who use aliases and don't readily disclose personal info are cowards. However, it's those that ABUSE it that make it an issue.

People will very easily sit back, on message boards like this, and say what they feel about whoever they like without fear of any consequences. I have my own opinion on Gerry Ryan as a broadcaster...but I 100% agree with him in saying that we're a nation of begrudgers.

There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism: there's a lot wrong with calling someone a dickhead and a wanker for the primary reason that he earns more money than you (and yes, I do believe that's where a lot of this sheer hatred stems from).

And when you look into the matter, you'll find that a lot of this ill-will comes from people who are either within the industry or are anoraks on the fringes of the industry. Which only leads me to the conclusion that they are less successful than G Ryan and would like to be as successful as him: thus are jealous.

BUT...at face value these opinions (especially when said by someone who is well-written and well-informed) appear credible. In doing this, it can not only be hurtful to the person but also damaging to their reputation and a discredit of the good, hard work that has taken them to where they are today.

Just an amusing side note, if you were to ask a lot of people WHY they wouldn't feel bad about slagging off a person so venemously, a LOT of their answers would be: "He earns enough, he can take it!" which again cements my point about this criticism coming from a place of jealousy.

If you make people accountable for their words they will be forced to leave the slander to the begrudging parts of their mind and provide well-thought out, constructive and possibly valid criticism that neither slanders nor offends. What is the problem there?

You argue that there ARE still laws in place to protect these rights...but when was the last time you saw someone actually use these laws to their advantage? Rarely, if ever. And when they do (as we've seen in high-profile cases that have even affected this very website), it only serves to hurt the innocent people who simply want to have a lively, thought-provoking discussion on the matter. So the system is hardly on top of things there.

Outside of the net, 99% of begrudgers would not say this to G Ryan's face if they saw them. It's an old argument but remains valid. I can hear the "Oh so nobody has the right to an opinion anymore!" replies already...of course you do, just have the balls to be held accountable for them if you want to air them publically. We have to do this outside of the net so why, when we're behind a computer screen, does it make it any different?

If you think he's a wanker, great. Think away. Spend all day thinking it and dwelling on it for all anyone cares. If he singled out a poster on his show tomorrow, though, and called them a wanker in return there'd be uproar.

If you feel the need to post hurtful remarks in public where anyone could read them (e.g. his family)...who does that say more about, the person you're slagging or you? (Not aimed at Meeja, for the record)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Good post Leggo even if I don't agree with it (well not all of it).

I've been a past positive poster in the pro Ryan camp but there is a lot from Ryan's book that Degsy has been quoting that has kinda joined up the dots to outline why a lot of people have a problem with him. Degsy has used Ryan's own words and ego to expose some rather unsavioury traits in Ryan. Ryan's own words have turned me a little away from tuning in as much as I normally would and when I have I now find him harder to take. Good enough show today though.

There was some really awful random invective posts on this thread that did show those individual posters up moreso than their intended target. But as Meeja Irl has pointed out Ryan's understanding and handling of his emotions and thoughts on such forums as this has come across as childish. Very poor show by someone who, for many, should be getting his nog around these newly emerging public outlets and giving a more balanced account.

On a point of using pseudonyms...Dusty Rhodes?

That's a great post, Leggo. I love to see someone who has thought out their position, and is willing to argue it.

That being said, I think you're wrong about this thread. Most of the criticism IS constructive. It may not look like it at first, but the thread is very strictly moderated to remove personal criticisms - about GR's appearance, or whatever. There is a genuine attempt to keep it to legitimate issues, of praise or criticism, and I think that effort is largely successful. I find the posters very thoughtful and funny. Strangely enough, it has made me listen to the show more than I used to.

It is a very critical thread, I grant you that. It is easier to criticise than to praise, I guess - but that doesn't make the criticism invalid. And, as the moderator has pointed out, the thread is completely open to fans as much as to critics.

I don't think you're immune from the tendency to criticise rather than praise, if it comes to that. You have been disagreeing with other posters, rather than posting praise of Gerry. I'm not slagging you for that - I think you make valid points - but it does show that criticism maybe comes easier to people than praise. I include myself in that.

humberklog wrote: »
    On a point of using pseudonyms...Dusty Rhodes?

Ah, Humber! I'm disillusioned now. I thought there was a whole Rhodes family. I was waiting for the debut of Sandie, Tarry, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ah, Humber! I'm disillusioned now. I thought there was a whole Rhodes family. I was waiting for the debut of Sandie, Tarry, etc.

He was the first that came to mind (waiting to be corrected that that's his real name!!). But this pseudonym stuff as ammo is a nonsense.

But I would have to say in disagreement with yourself though. A lot of the negative posts have been way off the mark as regards based, rational, criticism of Ryan's radio ability. First few pages are just basic personal abuse and when Ryan first start going on about Boards with regards to this thread then I could see where any human being would be in dismay. But as a broadcaster of such a show he really should have tried to evolve his opinion by educating himself further.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement