Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Didnt hear any of it today. But I suppose the Looney one was on about being a 'lay-dee', and mentioned her kids a few times, and her boobs.
    F**king ridiculous how we have to listen to this one, although she doesnt go on about how stupid men are, and going to mass, as much anymore. Get her off.
    Does anyone even slightly enjoy listening to her ?

It was all about cocks and getting humped by dogs today..Gerry asked her about the myth of men with b ig feet having big cocks and she asked him how big his feet were..he replied a size nine to which she replied it was about average.
    He then changed the subject slightly and asked her is it true that black men had bigger cocks than white men and she professed to having only "limited experienece" in that regard.
    An utter load of smutty,puerile tripe and this shiite is going out in the morning when kids could be listening to it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

At this stage I'm asking myself why do ye even bother listening to him if he upsets you that much?

Just turn off and let market forces happen...there's a lot better stuff to be listening to than some auld RTE fossil talking about mickeys and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

At this stage I'm asking myself why do ye even bother listening to him if he upsets you that much?

Because some people have no choice as it's the station their work radio is set to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Gerry ryan himself ,probably doesn't realise the literal sh1te ,he comes out with himself.

I'm glad you guys are posting it ,it's a credit to the man in question :rolleyes:
    Thank god I don't have to listen to him ,I have my 4FM.

Just turn off and let market forces happen...there's a lot better stuff to be listening to than some auld RTE fossil talking about mickeys and the like.

Why shouldnt we listen to it?This is where the licence fee money i s going and its about time this nonsense was adressed in a public forum.
    And of course there's the wonderfull feeling that the cretin himself is reading this..not that he's taking any notice mind you.
    Thats why i've made several complaints to the broadcasting authoruity about the content of his show..if they sleazebag thinks he can talk this sort of crap first thing in the morning without fear of censure he's about to find out otherwise.

• Advertisement

Because some people have no choice as it's the station their work radio is set to.

Its not just that..its the fact that nobody should be allowed to talk about mickys and **** and tits and cocks and fannys and nipples and arses and fcucking on radio at 11 o'clock in the morning when it wouldnt be permitted on television...its not just tasteless,its downright insulting.
    This fool is plying his trade as he sees it as some sort of "shock jock" wheras if somebody in the pub came up to you and started spouting that stuff you'd either get them thrown out or punch them good and hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Did anyone see Chris Evans on The Late Late Show last night?

He said after he quit BBC Radio 1 he had no intention of ever returning to Radio, then he heard The Gerry Ryan Show one morning and and an epiphany moment. Evans thought Gerry Ryan was streets ahead of anything he had ever heard, and inspired him to get back on the air. He says Gerry Ryan saved his career.

I'm paraphrasing a bit, but Evans sounded completely sincere. I rarely listen to Gerry Ryan anymore but it makes me wonder if Gerry Ryan is (or was) better than I remembered?

It's on the RTE player, about 54 mins 30 sec in ...

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1060067

SkidMark wrote: »

He said after he quit BBC Radio 1 he had no intention of ever returning to Radio, then he heard The Gerry Ryan Show one morning and and an epiphany moment. Evans thought Gerry Ryan was streets ahead of anything he had ever heard, and inspired him to get back on the air. He says Gerry Ryan saved his career.

I'm paraphrasing a bit, but Evans sounded completely sincere. I rarely listen to Gerry Ryan anymore but it makes me wonder if Gerry Ryan is (or was) better than I remembered?

Sounds like ahoax..mind you Chris Evans is an utter wanker too,his opinion counts for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

SkidMark wrote: »

I remember him originally saying this about a decade ago. Something along the lines of him fishing somewhere in Cork while listening to Gerry Ryan. I doubt anyone would be inspired by listening to the show as it is today, except maybe to change the station.

Degsy wrote: »
    Why shouldnt we listen to it?This is where the licence fee money i s going and its about time this nonsense was adressed in a public forum.
    I'm not a big fan of the licence fee either, but do remember that 2FM is profit-making entity within RTE.

I picked up his book in a charity shop for €2 during the week. I expected to be outraged, irked or even mildly entertained considering the little snippets I've read here.

The sections about the early days of Dublin pirate radio and management attitudes at RTE were interesting, but on the whole it was dreadfully banal and I had a strange sense of emptiness and depression after reading it, much like the feeling I get when I look at one of Hitler's early landscape watercolours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭kryptyk500

Was he suitably outraged about the Cat Stevens fiasco in the O2? I read that he was there and he was standing up for Cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

kryptyk500 wrote: »
    Was he suitably outraged about the Cat Stevens fiasco in the O2? I read that he was there and he was standing up for Cat.

he does not like it when the little people bite back

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

kryptyk500 wrote: »

He wasnt standing up for Yusuf Islam at all as a performer, he was actually saying it was a really naieve thing for him to do, especially 30minutes worth of musicals. He was outraged at the way the crowd reacted though-shouting obscenities and insults and just their general agressivness. But defo not totally standing up for the artist

boarddotie wrote: »
    He wasnt standing up for Yusuf Islam at all as a performer, he was actually saying it was a really naieve thing for him to do, especially 30minutes worth of musicals. He was outraged at the way the crowd reacted though-shouting obscenities and insults and just their general agressivness. But defo not totally standing up for the artist

Gerry knows it easily could have been him on the the receiving end of a tirade of abuse from the crowd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

God forbid Gerry would ever give bad press to anything that involves the O2. Did he get through 5 seconds of radio without mentioning his mate harry crosby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Anyone listining to Gerry Ryan eating a steak at the moment,He is making the most disgusting sounds with his mouth,it makes my blood boil......Yuck!!!!!

he does not eat he gorges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Slurps and eats with his mouth open:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Lap it up Ger, loads of cholesterol and fat. Can't be long now :D

holly1 wrote: »
    Slurps and eats with his mouth open:mad:

Its like watching a washing machine in action.
    What do they p ay him again..600 grand or something?
    If he was a woman you'd be asking who is he riding to even get on the radio much less the telly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I tuned in last Thursday or Friday when he had his "lady" friend, Fiona Looney on...again. So they were talking the usual crap when he asks her what is the most annoying thing she finds in him when he is on the radio, and she says "the way you call yourself G.Ryan all the time". I thought fair play to you Fiona (for once). He was a bit put out to say the least! He tried to justify it comparing himself to Gaybo but she was not biting.
    Then it quickly decended into him mentioning about a new book he might write (guess he has an hour free soon for that), and then something totally inappropriate for that time of the day (surprise, surprise!) . "Remember when Whitney Houston was found by the ploice with all the coke in Atlanta up her nose in the bathtub of her house with 22 broken viberators on the floor strewn all around her?". Looney said she could not recall that incident. This was at around 11:30am.....well out of order MR G.Ryan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ocho

"Remember when Whitney Houston was found by the ploice with all the coke in Atlanta up her nose in the bathtub of her house with 22 broken viberators on the floor strewn all around her?". Looney said she could not recall that incident. This was at around 11:30am.....well out of order MR G.Ryan!

*googles whitney broken vibrators*

The lying baxtard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

ocho wrote: »
    *googles whitney broken vibrators*
    The lying baxtard!

Try googling "Whitney improvised intravenous drug use"

Was listening to the podcast with Oliver Callan and his Nob Nation. It's usually crap to be honest, but the one he did yesterday which was repeated on the Mooney Show, was good. His Roy Keane, to be fair, is uncanny. But I download the podcast and there is fathead with his stupid, over the top introduction. I dont listen to him, but does he do that every day. I'm sick of it already and that's after one listen.

Round of applause for Callan on this one, considering I lambasted him a few times on here.

"Remember when Whitney Houston was found by the ploice with all the coke in Atlanta up her nose in the bathtub of her house with 22 broken viberators on the floor strewn all around her?". Looney said she could not recall that incident. This was at around 11:30am.....well out of order MR G.Ryan!

If you want to complain The Broadcasting Authority Of Ireland,
    01 644 1200
    fax: +353(0)1644 1299
    email: info@bai.ie
    Web: www.bai.ie

This nauseating nobhead should be reported at every turn..he's a disgrace.

This was at around 11:30am.....well out of order MR G.Ryan!
    That's nothing.

He actually used the 'f' word twice on the Monday following the Jusef gig at the Point when he was re-enacting audience response at the show.

Although he prefaced it with a warning that he was going to use strong language, there's no excuse for this and goes against both RTE's and the BCI's codes, especially during the 'school-run' period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

Colm and Jim Jim on 2fm used the F word the other week, not sure with a U or an E but thye got a massive dressing down for it, it was in the paper for gods sake. Yet Mr Ryan can do what he likes. Hate him

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

That slurping did my head in.
    Yes he drops names.
    Yes he did manage to get the f word in twice - still the wrong time of day.
    Hi'self and Looney do have some weird conversations.
    But the thing that really does my head in is "Operation / Transformation", god do they go on and on and on with that!

As for Colm and Jim Jim.... well they ... bah I'll leave it unsaid just incase you are reading this with your kids before the watershed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I listened for a few minutes purely because of this thread and straight away he said a word that reminded me how much I hate the show.

The word is want. W.A.N.T. Not wawont. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Phoneshow

An Interesting man lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Are people really annoyed/disgusted/outraged over him using adult language and sexual innuendo? There are a few things I like about his show and his use of language is one of them. I'd curse about as much as him and I'd use it in much the same way...it's how a lot of people on this island talk. I really am curious if and why this would put peoples noses out of joint. Of all the English speaking countries out there we would have a far more laissez faire attitude to cursing than the them, its use in many ways defines and distinguishes our English vernacular.
    I enjoy it and really didn't think that it would upset people. I'm surprised it does (if it does). Does it upset people?
    As for his sexual innuendos...gah, let the baby have his bottle. I recall a time before Ryan when mentioning the word Condoms would lead to a few seconds of embarassed dead air by the presenter.

Sure have a problem with Ryan, but is it really his use of commonly used blue words? Is it about a presenter using his lascivious thoughts in the hope that he's entertaining?

I do think that there are a lot of problems with him as presenter thinking that he's an important voice and authority on all thing of a current, popular nature and he hasn't come to terms with his irrelavence (that unfortunatley age brings to us all at some ever decreasing point of realisation). But jayzuz... the parts that have peoples backs up in the last few pages are the good parts for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement