Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I frequently used bad language myself Humberklog, but I try to ensure its not when children might be listening. Perhaps some parents find it amusing when their 2 year old tells her friends to "F**K OFF" in a dispute over a toy, but not me.
    Therefore I think it is well out of order for such language to be used at a time when many parents of young children are listening, as their non school going children are also listening. And with the current employment situation, more and more parents are at home, so more and more kids are not at creche.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Its not the sleaze or the bad language that bothers me, its the fact his delivery of it is not even vaguely amusing or interesting. He is trying to be a shock jock, but just comes across as a sad old git.

My problems with the Gerry Ryan Show are more to do with it having become tired, flabby and lazy radio. I used to be a fan, lived abroad for about 12 years... my first reaction on hearing the show again was - WTF happened Gerry Ryan. He has become a caricature of his former self. What used to mildly annoy me about him, now irritate the f**k out of me. The way he honestly believes he deserves his 558,990 euros a year. His on air reveling in the lifestyle this, undeserved imo, salary gives him. That pompous tone of voice he adopts when name-dropping his developer "mates" and of course Bono. I have my doubts that the admiration is reciprocated. How he arrogantly sets himself up to be more authoritative than everyone he interviews on any given topic. The Ryan line. The fact he replaced Brenda O'Donoghue with the equally head-wrecking Evelyn O'Rouke. The book....etc...etc....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Well I'm the father of a 6 year old (and out of work:(). I don't think that Ryan's sporadic use of bad language would influence a kid to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

I agree with you about the language, Humberklog. Vivid and unrelenting swearing is as much a part of Irish culture as sean-nós singing.

As to the sexual innuendo, or explicit sexual references, I have no problem with that in itself. It's just that it is so often irrelevant, uninteresting, unfunny and obsessive. Mention a vibraphone, he will pretend you said vibrator. Mention a doll, he will pretend you mean a blow-up doll. Mention jelly and he will pretend you mean KY jelly. And on, and on, and on, and on, and on, long past the point where the most sniggering tit-addled twelve year old will have stopped laughing and started backing away from the weird man.

If these were all food "jokes", or football "jokes", they would be just as dull. The sexual element adds a bit of sleaze, or even harassment, because often the person he's talking to is actually trying to have a conversation. Sometimes you can hear how taken aback they are by the constant sexual turns.

They are not about entertainment, finally, as much as they are about psychological issues the presenter obviously has. He hasn't decided to do this because he thinks it will make good radio. He's compelled to do it, for inaccessible reasons of his own. That makes for uncomfortable listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

And everything deadhead just said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

G. Ryan seems to be a show that we all listen to, and are impressed by, in our late teens/early 20's. then we all seem to grow out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Hardly listen to this show, just tuned in this morning to some loud mouth woman and himself talking about womens urine or something. WTF? This is morning time radio for crying out loud? The taxpayers are funding this crap, I couldn't believe it. Get him off the airwaves please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

An RTE person has just posted an add for a family to take part in Operation Transformation in helpdesk. Eil2 most be unfamiliar with G. Ryans views on boards.ie. And why didn't she post it in this thread.:D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63201794#posts63201794

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

deadhead13 wrote: »
    An RTE person has just posted an add for a family to take part in Operation Transformation in helpdesk. Eil2 most be unfamiliar with G. Ryans views on boards.ie. And why didn't she post it in this thread.:D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63201794#posts63201794

Has Degsy got a family?:pac:

It's a trap!

BTW fully agree with your previous post deadhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

thanks ger for telling us u had a great night at some gig? at the o2 arena a few days back. he siad he wasnt expecting to like it but he did.

jayzus that is great free advertising on the nations station for who ever owns the o2.

who ever u are, u shoud give gerry a call and thank him.

• Advertisement

Slidey wrote: »
    I listened for a few minutes purely because of this thread and straight away he said a word that reminded me how much I hate the show.

The word is want. W.A.N.T. Not wawont. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

yeah or wunt instaed of want ??? wtf or on-real instead of unreal??????? wtf here too??

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

yeah or wunt instaed of want ??? wtf or on-real instead of unreal??????? wtf here too??

he says dunkey as well:pac:

thanks ger for telling us u had a great night at some gig? at the o2 arena a few days back. he siad he wasnt expecting to like it but he did.

jayzus that is great free advertising on the nations station for who ever owns the o2.

it would not surprise me if he had money tied up in the 02

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

He also said earlier that there's a problem with bands playing here because there's "Only One O2"..like it was the only venue in the state.
    It of course owned by his "friend" Harry Crosby.. i suspect that they're not friends at all but Gerry put a few bob into some venture with him(probably the O2)..in his book he talks of Harry's great acumen as a developer and how his advice on investments should be taken seriously..hardly the way one good friend wouold describe another really.

No Comments

Thursday 20th August 2009

By Gerry Ryan on August 19, 2009 12:14 PM | No Comments

JLS were in studio with Gerry today with Darren Kennedy as we previewed the next series of The X-Factor.
    xfactor.itv.com

JLS play The O2 in Dublin on 27 Feb 2010.

DSCF0024.jpg

What a surprise..they're playing the o2...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Apparently he is rumoured to be opening some sort of retail unit in the point village.......now who is it that owns that place? Can't remember.

I see his show is sponsored by Low Low butter and he presents Operation Transform............something does not compute there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

humberklog wrote: »
    Are people really annoyed/disgusted/outraged over him using adult language and sexual innuendo? There are a few things I like about his show and his use of language is one of them. I'd curse about as much as him and I'd use it in much the same way...it's how a lot of people on this island talk. I really am curious if and why this would put peoples noses out of joint. Of all the English speaking countries out there we would have a far more laissez faire attitude to cursing than the them, its use in many ways defines and distinguishes our English vernacular.
    I enjoy it and really didn't think that it would upset people. I'm surprised it does (if it does). Does it upset people?
    As for his sexual innuendos...gah, let the baby have his bottle. I recall a time before Ryan when mentioning the word Condoms would lead to a few seconds of embarassed dead air by the presenter.

Sure have a problem with Ryan, but is it really his use of commonly used blue words? Is it about a presenter using his lascivious thoughts in the hope that he's entertaining?

I do think that there are a lot of problems with him as presenter thinking that he's an important voice and authority on all thing of a current, popular nature and he hasn't come to terms with his irrelavence (that unfortunatley age brings to us all at some ever decreasing point of realisation). But jayzuz... the parts that have peoples backs up in the last few pages are the good parts for me.

Yeah I doubt people are really all that outraged about Gerry swearing to be honest, I think they just dont like him:D

For me I think hes good at what he does, he is able to handle the serious stuff without going too preachy (a la darcy) and is able to rip the piss when it starts to get a bit boring. I personally dont give a sh1te if he goes too far the odd time but then I dont have kids to get outraged for...from my experience kids are far from interested in talk radio anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

His constant roaring and screaming over the Jedward facebook hate groups did my head in. I hate it when he just roars out of the blue, aka in his interview with Gordon Ramsay.

Pre recorded love in with singing band Westlife this morning did not catch whether they are playing the 02 in the near future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Ha Ha, his labels are sticking out all over the place the messy git.

• Advertisement

anyone else think he's the spit of the ole 'Alfer'

A.L.F

alf.jpg&h=94&w=124&usg=__1K7AojxgN92SpI_dec3iK0XEXjs=

GerryRyan.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

anyone else think he's the spit of the ole 'Alfer'

A.L.F
    Why would you insult Alf? The only similarity IMO is that Ryan would probably eat a cat.

bmaxi wrote: »
    Why would you insult Alf? The only similarity IMO is that Ryan would probably eat a cat.

And alf probably doesnt whine on about masturbating all day...although if he did it would be more interesting and less offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kerbear

'bluging santas sack'...uuuggh,,..i get the shivers listening to him sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

Wow, Gerrys filth meter is off the chart today with that one (her name I can't recall but she had that ****e program on RTE)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Catherine Lynch....I've never felt such an urge to nuke a building before...

catherine lynch fiona looney and yer wan that steps in for him when hes sick (about once a fortnight or so) are these the best ireland has to offer. really/?

• Advertisement

RCNPhotos wrote: »
    Wow, Gerrys filth meter is off the chart today with that one (her name I can't recall but she had that ****e program on RTE)

My complaint wasnt upheld by rte..they were quiet snotty in defending the show

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement