Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

a half hour open plug for the O2 on our national station. so frequent its taking the P*ss.

on another point the g ryan show in my opinion has no direction whatsoever,

Apart of course, from the directions to the O2 (and the great access to it from all over the country)..no fear of loosing those directions! (or does he have a "car" provided by MR H C? in that case he does not need directions!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Degsy wrote: »

Now that is really taking the piss and is something the BCI should have a look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Now that is really taking the piss and is something the BCI should have a look at.

Gents, I hope you are not implying that Mr G Ryan, that paragon of virtue, the last bastion of the common man, the peoples champion no less, could in any way, either directly, or by a subtle manipulation of the public airwaves, be trying to increase the public knowledge and perception of the area around the O2 arena?
    It is pure coincedence that Mr Harry Crosbie, who owns that area, is a well know friend of the said G Ryan. I can only assume that when G Ryan decided to open the previously mentioned establishment, that he simply forgot that his friend owned the entire area.
    And I'm sure calling it "The Codpiece" is an unintentional double entander.

Gents, I hope you are not implying that Mr G Ryan, that paragon of virtue, the last bastion of the common man, the peoples champion no less, could in any way, either directly, or by a subtle manipulation of the public airwaves, be trying to increase the public knowledge and perception of the area around the O2 arena?
    It is pure coincedence that Mr Harry Crosbie, who owns that area, is a well know friend of the said G Ryan. I can only assume that when G Ryan decided to open the previously mentioned establishment, that he simply forgot that his friend owned the entire area.

The potentially libelous thought didn't even cross my mind and I would like to diassociate myself from even implying it was implied.

• Advertisement

And I'm sure calling it "The Codpiece" is an unintentional double entander.

Yes..and a sleazy and very unfunny one at that.
    If your business is selling fish you really dont want an association with testicular clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He seems to be pushing some new theatre in town as well o yeah now i remember its another one of Crosbies projects

He seems to be pushing some new theatre in town as well o yeah now i remember its another one of Crosbies projects

So he's doing a spot of advertising for a friend and business partner's projects now?
    This CAN'T be in RTE's remit for the show..he's taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

if the papers get a run on this and his abuse on our airwaves for private gain by his buddy it could blow up big time.
    gerry u have been warned.

Right so he is self employed,contracted to work for RTE and while using his employers facilities,equipment,air time etc he is promoting someone elses business interests

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Right so he is self employed,contracted to work for RTE and while using his employers facilities,equipment,air time etc he is promoting someone elses business interests

yep. but not just the odd once or twice, its constant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

bilko1234 wrote: »
    Another product placement, as it were.
    He was saying how he was really looking forward to seeing "Avatar" next week, and pleaded with everyone to go and see it in the Savoy in O'Connell St, and not other cinemas.
    I wonder now, if when he does go, and brings all the "Ryan Children" and their friends, will he be paying out of his outragreous salary, or will the Savoy comp him?
    Maybe like he pays for all those o2 gigs he goes to........

Either in his book or on the show he said he's never paid for a gig in his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Whats the craic with a huge segment of his show cut from yesterday on the player? I am trying to access the interview with the misguided folk from Listowel and there is only 30 mins of recording?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

You could hear him salivating the whole way through that conversation. He was delighted to give her something from his sack in the end :rolleyes:

Any time I am unfortunate enough to catch some of G Ryan's show, his audible salivation and lip smacking makes me feel nauseous. It's even worse when he's on TV, and it doesn't help that his lips look like two slugs that have gorged themselves in a vegetable patch so they're all fat and slimey....URGHH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

eth0_ wrote: »
    Any time I am unfortunate enough to catch some of G Ryan's show, his audible salivation and lip smacking makes me feel nauseous. It's even worse when he's on TV, and it doesn't help that his lips look like two slugs that have gorged themselves in a vegetable patch so they're all fat and slimey....URGHH.
    Ah Jaysus, come on now...There's no need for THAT!!!!

Did anyone hear him today talking to a woman who had breast cancer,even on a sensitive subject like a breast removal he is sleezing all over her trying to steer the conversation into the gutter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

This is one of the funniest threads I've ever read. Some really hilarious comments from lots of people but Degsy in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Quint wrote: »
    Can he go 2 minutes without mentioning either a trip to New York, Fitzpatricks Hotel, Harry Crosby and the O2 or Disneyworld?

Well, it was that sort of thing that ended my time listening to Gerry Ryan's radio show. I must say I enjoyed it for years, when I was a young housewife.:p

But two things troubled me - Gerry seemed to think he knew more about things than he actually did...and the way he spoke about his five-star holidays and first-class flights for the family. I HOPE it wasn't just a case of begrudgery on my part - I don't think so! Rather, I thought it was a little inappropriate for him to wax lyrical about his luxurious lifestyle, when possibly a large section of his listenership were trying to make ends meet - Celtic Tiger or not.

Pat Kenny never speaks about his private activities...but then, I think Pat Kenny is rather excellent on the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Well, it was that sort of thing that ended my time listening to Gerry Ryan's radio show. I must say I enjoyed it for years, when I was a young housewife.:p

Gerry seemed to think he knew more about things than he actually did...

Sorry, I have to take issue with that statement. Actually, Gerry thinks he knows more about things than anybody does

But two things troubled me - Gerry seemed to think he knew more about things than he actually did...and the way he spoke about his five-star holidays and first-class flights for the family. I HOPE it wasn't just a case of begrudgery on my part - I don't think so! Rather, I thought it was a little inappropriate for him to wax lyrical about his luxurious lifestyle, when possibly a large section of his listenership were trying to make ends meet - Celtic Tiger or not.

Pat Kenny never speaks about his private activities...but then, I think Pat Kenny is rather excellent on the radio.

You really know that Gerry hasn't a clue when he talks about something you know about yourself. For instance, when Gerry talks about soccer or rugby I can tell he doesn't have a breeze. Fiona Looney knows more about football than Gerry.

And for someone that goes on about how great America is constantly, you'd think he'd know how to pronounce Chicago properly! There's no R in it Gerry.

• Advertisement

And for someone that goes on about how great America is constantly, you'd think he'd know how to pronounce Chicago properly! There's no R in it Gerry.

There is if Gerry says there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 timelessone

I saw some of Gerry's interview with Conan O' Brien a few months ago.

Conan, a professional broadcaster, cracked a few jokes early on, trying to get a rapport going.

The jokes sailed about three miles over Gerry's head. They didn't involve penises, vaginas or farting so he was at a complete loss. All he could do was sit there looking like a gormless, overpaid Billy Bunter.

For the first time in my life I felt embarrassed to be Irish.

With what's gone on in the country over the past few years, you can't say you haven't had opportunities.

I saw some of Gerry's interview with Conan O' Brien a few months ago.

Conan, a professional broadcaster, cracked a few jokes early on, trying to get a rapport going.

The jokes sailed about three miles over Gerry's head. They didn't involve penises, vaginas or farting so he was at a complete loss. All he could do was sit there looking like a gormless, overpaid Billy Bunter.

You've obviously never seen his interview with Gordon Ramsey

You've obviously never seen his interview with Gordon Ramsey

I heard Gerry describe the Gordon Ramsey interview some time before I got to see it. The description was heroic, with of course Ryan being the hero, what actually unfolds on the screen is anything but. He just made a complete tit of himself. But then again, Gerry's ego has long since lost touch with reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

Anyone listening? There's a woman who refused to move up one seat in the cinema to allow a couple to be able to sit together. Her argument was that she drove 15 miles to get to the cinema, had to arrange a babysitter and was there 30 minutes before the film began. What would you do? I mean, it's moving one seat to the left or right.

A belated Happy 1st Birthday to this thread.
    We've covered a lot of ground in the past 12 months, and here's to the next 12!
    Thanks to ALL the posters and keep on listening!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Anyone listening? There's a woman who refused to move up one seat in the cinema to allow a couple to be able to sit together. Her argument was that she drove 15 miles to get to the cinema, had to arrange a babysitter and was there 30 minutes before the film began. What would you do? I mean, it's moving one seat to the left or right.

Shes must be a right miserable hag..one seat piff.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

A happy birthday thread here too. Now that's not bad going. On a by the by he had me laughing this morning but I can't for the life of me remember why.

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    A happy birthday thread here too. Now that's not bad going. On a by the by he had me laughing this morning but I can't for the life of me remember why.
    You were probably laughing at his quickfire wit, intelligent, clever discourse and hilarious off the cuff responses to live situations, and his ability to embrace his audience with his remarkably droll and high brow sense of humour.
    He brings comedy to a new level, so what's not to like! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement