Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

The Muppet wrote: »
    Saddo is a vulgar term is it, In which dictionary?

Main Entry:
    saddo
    Part of Speech:
    n
    Definition:
    a contemptible person, a loser; a nerd
    Usage:
    British colloquial

He didn't say it was vulgar, Muppet, he said it was derogatory. Be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭airhorn

So people commenting on the Gerry Ryan thread are been criticized for being vulgar in their responses to the perverted crap they hear on his show

is this a wind up?

Obviously someone in the Ryan household or a family friend, theres nothing on at the O2 tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Saddo is a vulgar term is it, In which dictionary?

I think you are on fairly shakey ground when your chief complaint about a Gerry Ryan thread is the profanity and vulagarity used in it.

From Googles online English dictionary - "If you describe someone or their behaviour as vulgar, you mean they lack taste or behave rudely". Calling others "saddos" would fall into the behaving rudely category.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

He didn't say it was vulgar, Muppet, he said it was derogatory. Be fair.

Point accepted, My comment's are specifically about the vulgar language used here so his point is moot.

Why not answer the question I asked you earlier about the need for some of the language used here? DO you think it's acceptable to call anyone a "Fcucking sleazy old bastard" in public.
    airhorn wrote: »
    Obviously someone in the Ryan household or a family friend, theres nothing on at the O2 tonight!

Either that or someone with a little common decency, make up your own mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Cunsiderthis

Anyone who reads this thread, ( and other's similar to it here) can see that it mainly consists of posts which are critical of the on air talent, yet the posters who complain about the talent seem to continue to listen to it, and seem to have a sort of love hate relationship where they love to say how much they hate gerry ryan and the show.

At times, they even produce some "evidence" as to how awful the show or gerry ryan is, and this is usually produced triumphantly and with glee and with a sort of here's-proof-as-to-how-awful-the-whole-thing-is, yet still the poster(s) keep listenening to the show.

I simply don't understand why anyone should do that, as there are so many other shown to choose from. It's almost as is they love to hate it so much they are forced to listen so they can then rush here to say how awful it is all the time!

It's the same with the joe duffy show thread here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Anyone who reads this thread, ( and other's similar to it here) can see that it mainly consists of posts which are critical of the on air talent, yet the posters who complain about the talent seem to continue to listen to it, and seem to have a sort of love hate relationship where they love to say how much they hate gerry ryan and the show.

At times, they even produce some "evidence" as to how awful the show or gerry ryan is, and this is usually produced triumphantly and with glee and with a sort of here's-proof-as-to-how-awful-the-whole-thing-is, yet still the poster(s) keep listenening to the show.

I simply don't understand why anyone should do that, as there are so many other shown to choose from. It's almost as is they love to hate it so much they are forced to listen so they can then rush here to say how awful it is all the time!

If you DID read this thread you'll see that on numerous occasions, plenty of posters have stated that they have no choice but to listen to G Ryan while they're at work. This is the case for me anyway.

For the others...well everyone loves something to moan about, nothing wrong with that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

If you have a season ticket to your favourite football team, do you stop going when they play bad?

Or do you keep going and hope they eventually buy better players?

If you DID read this thread you'll see that on numerous occasions, plenty of posters have stated that they have no choice but to listen to G Ryan while they're at work. This is the case for me anyway.

For the others...well everyone loves something to moan about, nothing wrong with that :D

No one forces those posters who are forced to listen to gerry ryan at work to rush here to tell everyone else how dreadful he is. If you DID read this thread you'll see that on numerous occasions many posters seem to get much pleasure in rushing here to declare how dreadful gerry ryan is, or how dreadful the show is, suggesting they actually like listening to the show before then rushing here to express their schadenfreude at how awful it all is.

I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with that, but merely pointing out that they can't hate is as much as they pretend!

Point accepted, My comment's are specifically about the vulgar language used here so his point is moot.

Why not answer the question I asked you earlier about the need for some of the language used here? DO you think it's acceptable to call anyone a "Fcucking sleazy old bastard" in public.

Either that or someone with a little common decency, make up your own mind.

Well, I did answer you, Muppet. I said I had a high tolerance for vulgarity: ie, it doesn't bother me. As several other people have pointed out, there is nothing being said here that is remotely as vulgar as some of what Gerry Ryan comes out with. You are picking a very weak card to lead with.

In a general point, do yourself and Cunsiderthis really think the best way of getting some balance into a one-sided thread is to criticise that side? Why not talk about the things GR does that you like? Why not balance the criticism with praise?

No one forces those posters who are forced to listen to gerry ryan at work to rush here to tell everyone else how dreadful he is. If you DID read this thread you'll see that on numerous occasions many posters seem to get much pleasure in rushing here to declare how dreadful gerry ryan is, or how dreadful the show is, suggesting they actually like listening to the show before then rushing here to express their schadenfreude at how awful it all is.

I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with that, but merely pointing out that they can't hate is as much as they pretend!

:confused: No. People are usually a lot more vocal about things they don't like than about things they do.

I really don't see your point. This is a Gerry Ryan thread. It is here for people who listen to his show to comment on...it's not just for people who LIKE his show.

• Advertisement

Could we accept that you have now done a beautifully thorough, even a relentless, job of pointing it out? I for one don't think I need to be reminded of it for, oh, a good month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

This stand in chap is much easier on the ear

Well, I did answer you, Muppet. I said I had a high tolerance for vulgarity: ie, it doesn't bother me. As several other people have pointed out, there is nothing being said here that is remotely as vulgar as some of what Gerry Ryan comes out with. You are picking a very weak card to lead with.

In a general point, do yourself and Cunsiderthis really think the best way of getting some balance into a one-sided thread is to criticise that side? Why not talk about the things GR does that you like? Why not balance the criticism with praise?

I wasn't asking about your personal tolerance, I was asking if calling someone a "Fcucking sleazy old bastard" in public is socially acceptable in general. We both know the answer which I assume is why you are sidestepping the question.

It may be a weak card to you due to you high tolerance level it's far from a weak card in general to those of us with normal tolerance levels to such language being used in public.

I'm not defending anyone, criticism is fine by me and I'm not trying to get balance into the thread either, a little common decency and civility would be more my aim.
    Could we accept that you have now done a beautifully thorough, even a relentless, job of pointing it out? I for one don't think I need to be reminded of it for, oh, a good month or two.

I find that a little hypocritical considering that this thread has been running a year now with more or less the same complaints being made over and over again by the same users. should you not tell them to take a back seat for a couple of months as well?

I wasn't asking about your personal tolerance, I was asking if calling someone a "Fcucking sleazy old bastard" in public is socially acceptable in general. We both know the answer which I assume is why you are sidestepping the question.

It may be a weak card to you due to you high tolerance level it's far from a weak card in general to those of us with normal tolerance levels to such language being used in public.

I'm not defending anyone, criticism is fine by me and I'm not trying to get balance into the thread either, a little common decency and civility would be more my aim.

The_Muppet, who's to say what a "normal" tolerance level to vulgarity is? We're all adults here... I don't have a problem with the language on this thread, it's not hurting anyone, and I'm sure if anyone else did have a problem, I'm sure the posts would be reported.

What I WOULD have a problem with is if my 3-year-old impressionable nephews were exposed to bad language on a daytime radio show.

The_Muppet, who's to say what a "normal" tolerance level to vulgarity is? We're all adults here... I don't have a problem with the language on this thread, it's not hurting anyone, and I'm sure if anyone else did have a problem, I'm sure the posts would be reported.

What I WOULD have a problem with is if my 3-year-old impressionable nephews were exposed to bad language on a daytime radio show.

In a civilised society there is a norm for what is considered socially acceptable behaviour.

We're not all adults here, My kids have been using this site since their early teens.

The it's "not hurting anyone" hit's the nail on the head, sure it's only a bit of crack on the internet , it's harmless. The standard defence of the cyber bully but that isn't really true is it? Of course it has the potential to cause hurt.

I'm sure there have been reported posts. It's a tough call for the mods really, particulary given the nature of this forum, I understand that.

I really don't see your point. This is a Gerry Ryan thread. It is here for people who listen to his show to comment on...it's not just for people who LIKE his show.

It might more accurately be called the "I love to hate gerry ryan thread" - if only the people commenting were not invariably, and by now predictably, expressing their schadenfreude at how terrible it all is, and how awful he is.

It's just boring reading the same people expressing the same views about the same show, and the irony is that they seem guilty of the very vice of which the accuse gerry ryan and the show!

In a civilised society there is a norm for what is considered socially acceptable behaviour.

We're not all adults here, My kids have been using this site since their early teens.

The it's "not hurting anyone" hit's the nail on the head, sure it's only a bit of crack on the internet , it's harmless. The standard defence of the cyber bully but that isn't really true is it? Of course it has the potential to cause hurt.

I'm sure there have been reported posts. It's a tough call for the mods really, particulary given the nature of this forum, I understand that.

Look I'm really failing to see why you've such a problem with people using bad language on an internet forum. It's completely different than vulgar language and unsuitable topics being discussed on our national airwaves WELL before the watershed.

As for allowing your young teens to use this site, that's your choice. There is bad language and much worse all over the internet. Parents can and should monitor their children's use of the internet to ensure they aren't exposed to things they shouldn't be exposed to.

You can hardly call this thread cyber bullying. Criticisms are being made about a public figure...someone who chose their profession in the public eye. From what I see, this thread is very well moderated and anything that is over the top is deleted.

It might more accurately be called the "I love to hate gerry ryan thread" - if only the people commenting were not invariably, and by now predictably, expressing their schadenfreude at how terrible it all is, and how awful he is.

It's just boring reading the same people expressing the same views about the same show, and the irony is that they seem guilty of the very vice of which the accuse gerry ryan and the show!

Well then you know what to do :rolleyes:

People are more than welcome to express their love of the show if they want to, no one's stopping them.

ANYWAY, back OT, I enjoyed listening to Rick O'Shea filling in this morning. Good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

People are more than welcome to express their love of the show if they want to, no one's stopping them.

You're joking arent you? Any bit of positive feedback that people leave on here is usually met with a 'hello Gerry' or 'that must be a member of his family' remark.

People who love his show dont need to come on here to post it, they tell Gerry directly via his show or talk about it with their friends.

You people who dont love his show just sit in here and fester together.

Look I'm really failing to see why you've such a problem with people using bad language on an internet forum. It's completely different than vulgar language and unsuitable topics being discussed on our national airwaves WELL before the watershed.

As for allowing your young teens to use this site, that's your choice. There is bad language and much worse all over the internet. Parents can and should monitor their children's use of the internet to ensure they aren't exposed to things they shouldn't be exposed to.

You can hardly call this thread cyber bullying. Criticisms are being made about a public figure...someone who chose their profession in the public eye. From what I see, this thread is very well moderated and anything that is over the top is deleted.

You're right there is a difference, I do have an issue with it because it is totally unneccessary.

I was making the point that not only adults use this site.

I didn't call this thread cyber bullying, I said a point being made was the standard response of the cyber bully.

Well then you know what to do :rolleyes:

ANYWAY, back OT, I enjoyed listening to Rick O'Shea filling in this morning. Good job.

"people" are of course able to say what they like here. I wasn't talking about that, but was talking about the daily predictable same old same old coming here and telling everyone how dreadful the show is all the time, while the same people continue to listen to the show ( which they pretend they dislike so much) and then rush here to post how terrible it, and he, is/are, all the time appearing to be getting more and more excited as they post more and more examples of how awful the whole thing is.

I particularly loved your "Anyway, back OT" which made me laugh. To be on topic here, it seems the main way to do that is to listen to the gerry ryan show and then rush here to say how dreadful it is, and how awful he is, and repeat that every day for the next few years, all the time remembering to listen to a show which the posters claim to hate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

boarddotie wrote: »
    You're joking arent you? Any bit of positive feedback that people leave on here is usually met with a 'hello Gerry' or 'that must be a member of his family' remark.

People who love his show dont need to come on here to post it, they tell Gerry directly via his show or talk about it with their friends.

Hi Ryan show researcher!

boarddotie wrote: »

What I really don't get is why, if they hate his show so much, they not only continue to listen to it but continue to comment on it here. I really don;t buy the old I-am-at-work-and-forced-to-listen-to-his-show-against-my-will argument, and even if that might be true in one or two cases, it's apparant what most of these posters seem to take pleasure from is the rushing here to tell everyone else how dreadful they think it all is, a pleasure which would be denied them if they didn't listen to the show they say they hate.

It all seems never ending, and I'll bet when I check in here in 6 months time, there will be the same people expressing the same schadenfreude about how dreadful it is.

I don't listen to his show, I think the guy is a completely terrible presenter (and the figures for his show back up that more people are agreeing with this) and the sooner he's off our airwaves and television screen the better for RTE. I'd even start tuning in again.

Originally Posted by boarddotie

Hi Ryan show researcher!

Ha Ha priceless way to prove dotties point.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

What I really don't get is why, if they hate his show so much, they not only continue to listen to it but continue to comment on it here. I really don;t buy the old I-am-at-work-and-forced-to-listen-to-his-show-against-my-will argument, and even if that might be true in one or two cases, it's apparant what most of these posters seem to take pleasure from is the rushing here to tell everyone else how dreadful they think it all is, a pleasure which would be denied them if they didn't listen to the show they say they hate.

It all seems never ending, and I'll bet when I check in here in 6 months time, there will be the same people expressing the same schadenfreude about how dreadful it is.

How many times can you use "Schadenfreude" in your posts???
    Word of the day,..eh?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

Ha Ha priceless way to prove dotties point.
    Think he was being sarcastic there Muppet!

bilko1234 wrote: »
    Think he was being sarcastic there Muppet!

I got the sarcasm, that doesn't alter the point dottie made.

bilko1234 wrote: »
    How many times can you use "Schadenfreude" in your posts???
    Word of the day,..eh?:D

I think its more the word of the thread, than the word of the day!

"people" are of course able to say what they like here. I wasn't talking about that, but was talking about the daily predictable same old same old coming here and telling everyone how dreadful the show is all the time, while the same people continue to listen to the show ( which they pretend they dislike so much) and then rush here to post how terrible it, and he, is/are, all the time appearing to be getting more and more excited as they post more and more examples of how awful the whole thing is.

I particularly loved your "Anyway, back OT" which made me laugh. To be on topic here, it seems the main way to do that is to listen to the gerry ryan show and then rush here to say how dreadful it is, and how awful he is, and repeat that every day for the next few years, all the time remembering to listen to a show which the posters claim to hate.

Ok...I understand that you have a problem with the content of the posts in this thread. But I don't understand why. If what you say is true, then what of it? Let people enjoy this thread as they want to. No rules are being broken.

• Advertisement

I got the sarcasm, that doesn't alter the point dottie made.

It's called comedy, I'll sell you my book of comedy tips if you like. COMEDY.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement