Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Wow, you are more obsessed that it seemed even from your posts here! :D

Mind you, 233 members out of a population of +-4 000 000 is around 0.005% of the population, so it seems you are some way off from your critical mass yet to make the "...RTE bosses sit up, take notice and remove this clown from their TV and radio shows..." which seems to be the aim of your facebook group.

Seriously, don't you think it's all a little bit obsessive to seem to devote so much of your life to someone who you don't like. As a hobby, it seems doomed to failure and unlikely you'll succeed in your aim to have him removed. If he doesgo eventually, it's unlikely to be as the result of your 233 member facebook group or because you bad mouth him on boards.

I don't particularly like gerry ryan either, and I just don't watch his tv shows or listen to his radio show. Wouldn't you be better getting your self a nice girlfriend as a better hobby than sitting at home for the next few years fruitlessly planning to overthrow gerry ryan?

:D:D

Thats not my group...neither is this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Cunsiderthis

Degsy wrote: »
    Thats not my group...neither is this!

I don't think anyone here has any doubts that you have access to lots of interesting little groups (this time 550 members, presumably with many of the same poeple in your other group) which is about +- 0.01% of the polulation.

Or that you devote a lot of your time to the subject, which makes you come over as more than a little obsessed.

It also seems unlikely that you will be diverted away from your desired aims, however unlikely it is you will achieve them, so lets hope you enjoy the next few years scheming and plotting in your bedroom night after night on the subject which seems dearest to your heart.

Good luck with it all and lets all hope one day you come out the other side recovered! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I don't think anyone here has any doubts that you have access to lots of interesting little groups (this time 550 members, presumably with many of the same poeple in your other group) which is about +- 0.01% of the polulation.

Or that you devote a lot of your time to the subject, which makes you come over as more than a little obsessed.

It also seems unlikely that you will be diverted away from your desired aims, however unlikely it is you will achieve them, so lets hope you enjoy the next few years scheming and plotting in your bedroom night after night on the subject which seems dearest to your heart.

Good luck with it all and lets all hope one day you come out the other side recovered! :D

all this type of talk sounds very very familar where have i heard this before?

Sounds about right for this thread then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭airhorn

speaking of recovery, i hope Rick O'Shea is on again in the morning. Gerry may as well stay in bed again in the morning he got an awfull dose (scuthers) poor fella :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Sounds about right for this thread then!

No it was the mention of scheming and plotting in your bedroom night after night

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Good question.
    I suppose i dislike the presenter...i think he's a man of limited intelligence and a very large ego who views himself and his opinions in a divine light.
    He regards himself as being very interesting indeed and seems to think the listening public want to hear details of the minutae of his personal life and his views on subjects that he often plainly knows nothing about..

The public obviously do want to hear about these things or else he'd have no listeners.

The movement is gathering momentum....

A facebook group? really? Especially when you like to use the "acts like a 14 year old" line as one of your objections to Gerry Ryan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Stekelly wrote: »
    A facebook group? really? Especially when you like to use the "acts like a 14 year old" line as one of your objections to Gerry Ryan.

Your thinking of BeBo.

Come on, it was a quip, not a call to arms.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Your thinking of BeBo.

Come on, it was a quip, not a call to arms.

Nah facebook campaign groups really are the new choice for the kids to be angry at stuff with.

I think any of the ones relating to Thierry Henry in general and more specifically haveing the match replayed were the straw that broke the camels back.

• Advertisement

Yep..a G Ryan apologist talking about people scheming in thier bedrooms night after night..the only thing missing realy was "darkened bedroom".

Also an invitation for me to go "get myself a girlfriend"...Interesting.
    We all know G Ryan is obsessed with amatuer canoodling.

The funny thing is,i actually have a girlfriend and not a result of my marraige going 'pearshaped' either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Why the F*** was it in the paper about him calling in sick???

Is it like, going, going, GONE!!!!

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Why the F*** was it in the paper about him calling in sick???

Is it like, going, going, GONE!!!!

Wonder will he get deducted a day's pay..
    Still the public have been spared the man for a day and thats no bad thing.

Having called RTE just now, they claim the Ryan Show is in the top 10 radio shows in the whoel country, judged by the size of the audience, consistently for numerous years.

The audience figures in 2006 were,on average, 316 000 listeners per day

The up to date audience figures show,on average, 307 000 listeners per day

So hardly much of a fall off as has been implied here, showing a decrease in the last 3 years of 3%.

As a counterpoint to this, Degsy claims 550 members of a facebook group of people who don't like his show and want him to be put off the air.

Hmmm, 307 000 listeners versus 550 .......Facts aare facts and 307 000 listerner to a radio show would seem to outweigh prety substantially Degsy's 550 members of his facebook group.

Even if he has 10 000 people in a facebook group, there are still well over 300 000 people who do listen to the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Having called RTE just now, they claim the Ryan Show is in the top 10 radio shows in the whoel country, judged by the size of the audience, consistently for numerous years.

The audience figures in 2006 were,on average, 316 000 listeners per day

The up to date audience figures show,on average, 307 000 listeners per day

So hardly much of a fall off as has been implied here, showing a decrease in the last 3 years of 3%.

As a counterpoint to this, Degsy claims 550 members of a facebook group of people who don't like his show and want him to be put off the air.

Hmmm, 307 000 listeners versus 550 .......Facts aare facts and 307 000 listerner to a radio show would seem to outweigh prety substantially Degsy's 550 members of his facebook group.

Even if he has 10 000 people in a facebook group, there are still well over 300 000 people who do listen to the show.

Wow....so the people on this thread are obsessive, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Wonder will he get deducted a day's pay..
    Still the public have been spared the man for a day and thats no bad thing.

How often do you listen to his show?

Well, it's a subjective judgement.

For me, someone who seems to daily post numerous time how mush he hates a show that he continues to listen to daily, ( a show which lasts three hours), and who joins or starts off face book groups dedicated to the same show which he claims to dislike, and says his aim to to get rid of gerry ryan and to continue that sort of work tirelessly into the future, would appear to seem obsessive. You may disagree and think it entirely normal to devote large chunks of your life to something which you claim to dislike, and that's your choice.

You may disagree and think it entirely normal to devote large chunks of your life to something which you claim to dislike, and that's your choice.

Well, our tax pays his wages and our TV licence is supposed to go towards programme production, so we have a right, no - a duty to try and make sure that our money is well spent.

Some genius has just pointed out on another thread that Gerry might have to pay some more Tax quite soon, so that can ease the burden on us small fry having to sustain his overpriced salary.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64426601#post64426601

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

An unhealthy obsession IMO, what would you call it?

Have to laugh though if he thinks the facebook campaign will have any effect, it just add's to the cranks on the internet theory.

Well, our tax pays his wages and our TV licence is supposed to go towards programme production, so we have a right, no - a duty to try and make sure that our money is well spent.

Some genius has just pointed out on another thread that Gerry might have to pay some more Tax quite soon, so that can ease the burden on us small fry having to sustain his overpriced salary.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64426601#post64426601

You have a perfect right to walk down O'Connel street every day with a board claiming the world is ending too, if thats what you want and in a free society you have a right to do almost anything you like so long as it's not illegal.

And we have a prefect right to draw conclusions from what you do also.

I can't agree we have any right over how RET spends the money it receives from either advertising or from the licence fee. I wish it were different, but it isn't!

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote: »
    An unhealthy obsession IMO, what would you call it?

Have to laugh though if he thinks his facebook campaign will have any effect, it just add's to the cranks on the internet theory.

Firstlythere's no need to use the possesive tense when you say the word "adds" and secondly as i've explained to Ge..sorry the other poster..its not my facebook group.

You have a perfect right to walk down O'Connel street every day with a board claiming the world is ending too, if thats what you want and in a free society you have a right to do almost anything you like so long as it's not illegal.

And we have a prefect right to draw conclusions from what you do also.

I can't agree we have any right over how RET spends the money it receives from either advertising or from the licence fee. I wish it were different, but it isn't!

Who's RET then?:confused:

Of course we have a right to complain how they spend OUR money.

That's why they pay close attention to viewing figures as they are in the business of getting as many viewers and listeners as possible.

More listeners / viewers - more revenue.

Sometimes though, they take their eye off the ball and fail to see that if Roland Rat was brought from the UK in morning and given G.Ryan's show, viewing figures would still be around the same.

It's a luxuriate spot to be on 2FM for two hours every morning.

Dustin would do a better job.

You say skip the thread if we don't like it?

Well, I say skip our posts if you don't like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Well, it's a subjective judgement.

For me, someone who seems to daily post numerous time how mush he hates a show that he continues to listen to daily, ( a show which lasts three hours), and who joins or starts off face book groups dedicated to the same show which he claims to dislike, and says his aim to to get rid of gerry ryan and to continue that sort of work tirelessly into the future, would appear to seem obsessive. You may disagree and think it entirely normal to devote large chunks of your life to something which you claim to dislike, and that's your choice.

Couldn't the same thing be thrown at you about this thread. You don't seem to like, but you are now posting in it daily to tell us you don't like it. You could always choose not to read it, or post in it.

Of course we have a right to complain how they spend OUR money.

There is a difference between complaining, which you obviously seem to enjoy, and a right/duty to make sure “our” money is well spent.

RTE’s money is not “our” money, it’s theirs! And simply for you to keep on saying it is “ours” doesn’t make it so.

Once RTE receives money, it belongs to RTE. In any case, it simply isn’t possible for RTE to spend the money it has according to the individual wishes of 4 000 000 people in this country.

There are, however, over 300 000 listeners of the Ryan Show who do support RTE’s decision to pay for his show, by their actions of listening to the show.
    Sometimes though, they take their eye off the ball and fail to see that if Roland Rat was brought from the UK in morning and given G.Ryan's show, viewing figures would still be around the same.

It's a luxuriate spot to be on 2FM for two hours every morning.

Dustin would do a better job.

Unfortunately, editorial policy is a matter of judgement. And it’s also a matter of being on the editorial panel at RTE. You may well be right, or not, and it seems unlikely RTE are going to follow your advice on this.

That you seem completely convinced that your judgement is better than those tasked with the job, or the 300 000 listeners who listen to the show, reminds me of all those couch potatoes who scream advice at the manager of their football team from the comfort of their own living rooms, or the pub bore who will tell anyone who is listening just how the government/hospital/gardai (subsutitute any form of authority you like here as it works just as well) has got it all wrong and are stupid, and sure if only he were put in charge wouldn’t everything be right by Christmas.

Does anyone really think your campaign is going to make RTE dump Ryan? Does anyone think Degsy’s facebook groups and campaign here will make RTE dump Ryan?

I’d be surprised if even you or Degsy believes that. (If you do, how long more do you think it will take?)

If it makes you happy to continue to fight the lost cause you seem to espouse so passionately, then continue it by all means. As you pointed out, you have a “right” to do so.

In the meantime others have the “right” to observe that it might make you look obsessive and seem a little unusual.

There is a difference between complaining, which you obviously seem to enjoy, and a right/duty to make sure “our” money is well spent.

RTE’s money is not “our” money, it’s theirs! And simply for you to keep on saying it is “ours” doesn’t make it so.

Once RTE receives money, it belongs to RTE. In any case, it simply isn’t possible for RTE to spend the money it has according to the individual wishes of 4 000 000 people in this country.

There are, however, over 300 000 listeners of the Ryan Show who do support RTE’s decision to pay for his show, by their actions of listening to the show.

Unfortunately, editorial policy is a matter of judgement. And it’s also a matter of being on the editorial panel at RTE. You may well be right, or not, and it seems unlikely RTE are going to follow your advice on this.

That you seem completely convinced that your judgement is better than those tasked with the job reminds me of all those couch potatoes who scream advice at the manager of their football team from the comfort of their own living rooms, or the pub bore who will tell anyone who is listening just how the government/hospital/gardai (subsutitute any form of authority you like here as it works just as well) has got it all wrong and are stupid, and sure if only he were put in charge wouldn’t everything be right by Christmas.

Does anyone really think your campaign is going to make RTE dump Ryan? Does anyone think Degsy’s facebook groups and campaign here will make RTE dump Ryan?

I’d be surprised if you even believe that, or Degsy does. If you do, how long more do you think it will take?

If it makes you happy to continue to fight the lost cause you seem to espouse so passionately, then continue it by all means. As you pointed out, you have a “right” to do so.

In the meantime others have the “right” to observe that it might make you look obsessive and seem a little unusual.

There's no need for us to act so obsessively in wanting Ryan removed from the airwaves..after his disgraceful behaviour with regard to the paycut,with his show losing listeners by the day and with rte bleeding itself white paying big salaries in these recessionary times,word on the corridor is that his card is marked anyway.

There is a difference between complaining, which you obviously seem to enjoy

You have done far more 'complaining' in these thread than I have.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Keep saying it?? I just fcuking said it. Stop being dramatic.
    Once RTE receives money, it belongs to RTE.

So why don't they just keep it then and not spend it?

It's not 'their money' in the context you mean it.

However, it is 'our money' in the context that I mean it.

When the HSE spends 'their' money, they are really spending 'our' money and if you can't understand that concept then it is hardly worth having a discussion with you.
    In any case, it simply isn’t possible for RTE to spend the money it has according to the individual wishes of 4 000 000 people in this country.

Who said it was??

I am one voice and I don't pretend to speak for 4,000,000 people.

I'm speaking for me!

Oh, I missed that referendum. I really must get out there and vote more.
    That you seem completely convinced that your judgement is better than those tasked with the job

Well, when you see people like Dave McSavage get their own show, is it any wonder.
    If it makes you happy to continue to fight the lost cause you seem to espouse so passionately, then continue it by all means.

You're the one fighting a lost cause. Come back to this thread in six months and see if I'm right. You think you'll silence the naysayers, I bet you won't.
    As you pointed out, you have a “right” to do so.

Oh, so you agree on that now, do you? Jaysus, you break easy.
    n the meantime others have the “right” to observe that it might make you look obsessive..

Neither myself or anyone else on this thread neither said nor implied that you didn't have that right.

It is you Sir that is doing all the dictating about what people should and shouldn't be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

Firstlythere's no need to use the possesive tense when you say the word "adds"

Is all this getting a bit petty now or is it just me? Special mention for Degsy's shot at the RTE typo as well.

I am one voice and I don't pretend to speak for 4,000,000 people.

I'm speaking for me!

Speaking for yourself is fine, and it fine for the other 3 999 999 to speak for themselves too. The point is that it’s not possible for RTE to frame editorial policy according to the individual wishes of 4 000 000 people.

Oh, I missed that referendum. I really must get out there and vote more.

300 000 plus people tuning in to his show also missed whatever referendum you are talking about. They are, however, a powerful argument for RTE to keep him on air.

Well, when you see people like Dave McSavage get their own show, is it any wonder.

I don’t know who Dave McSavage is and have never heard of him.

I don’t disagree that RTE is a piss poor station – I think in many ways it is, and could do with root and branch reform. I am just a realist and realise that it’s not going to happen. Hence I mainly listen to other stations on my Stream 202 internet radio!

You're the one fighting a lost cause. Come back to this thread in six months and see if I'm right. You think you'll silence the naysayers, I bet you won't.

You may well be right , or not, that Ryan will be off air in 6 months. However, if he is it will not be due to this thread or Degsy’s facebook profiles or boards.ie campaign.

Time will tell on that one, and looking at it objectively, I think it unlikely RTE will dump Ryan while he is pulling in audiences of 300 000 plus on a regular basis.

What I am more sure of is that anyone who returns here in 6 months will see the same people rushing here and gushing to tell everyone how dreadful the show is etc etc etc etc, all the while publicising a show they claim to hate and one which they listen to as much, or more, as those who claim to like it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭airhorn

There's no need for us to act so obsessively in wanting Ryan removed from the airwaves..after his disgraceful behaviour with regard to the paycut,with his show losing listeners by the day and with rte bleeding itself white paying big salaries in these recessionary times,word on the corridor is that his card is marked anyway.

The fact that Cunsiderthis is defending Gerry Ryan after reading the content in them links says alot about the type of person they are.

What i dont understand is how Cunsiderthis is waffleing on about what Rte can & cant do etc & how they would'nt pay heed to Facebook groups when in actual fact Rte are theirselves fed up with Ryan & are not one bit happy about the fact he refuses to take a pay cut when the rest of the employees have too, again thats just typical of Ryan, i mean who the hell does he think he is?

Cunsiderthis your coming across as a bit of a hypocrite on this thread if you dont mind me saying so. But you keep on defending Ryan as someone said make sure your knocking around in 6 mths time, as far as i can see Ryan is on his last legs in Rte.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement