Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

The point is that it’s not possible for RTE to frame editorial policy according to the individual wishes of 4 000 000 people.

Nobody said that it was possible.

I am speaking for myself. What about that do you not get?

However, that's not to say that other listeners don't feel the same as anytime I am down the hair saloon and the G.Ryan show comes on when I am under the hairdryer, I usually hear many comments like "he's an awful eejit that fella, nice work if you can get it" or "jesus Gerry, will stop talking about sex and farting, have you not got Today FM on that radio maura".
    300 000 plus people tuning in to his show also missed whatever referendum you are talking about. They are, however, a powerful argument for RTE to keep him on air.

You must be deluded if you think they all want him presenting the show. If you want to know why they still listen, read back through the thread as this has all been discussed before.
    I don’t know who Dave McSavage is and have never heard of him.

What does that tell you?? He has his own show anyway.
    You may well be right , or not, that Ryan will be off air in 6 months.

I don't think he will be off the air in six months. You misread my post.
    time will tell on that one, and looking at it objectively, I think it unlikely RTE will dump Ryan while he is pulling in audiences of 300 000 plus on a regular basis.

No matter who presented the show, it would receive 300,000 listeners. If someone who was talented had the job I would say that would jump to 400,000 quite easily.
    What I am more sure of is that anyone who returns here in 6 months will see the same people rushing here and gushing to tell everyone how dreadful the show is etc etc etc etc,

That was my point which you missed not that Gerry was going anywhere.

Which is why I said that it was you and not us that is fighting a losing battle :)

/off out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Cunsiderthis

OutlawPete wrote: »
    However, that's not to say that other listeners don't feel the same as anytime I am down the hair saloon and the G.Ryan show comes on when I am under the hairdryer, I usually hear many comments like "he's an awful eejit that fella, nice work if you can get it" or "jesus Gerry, will stop talking about sex and farting, have you not got Today FM on that radio maura".

I don’t disagree and don’t listen to his show because I also don’t like it. I have no idea what the ratings are for whatever show is on Today FM at the same time, but I'd be surprised if the audience is half what Ryan gets. Perhaps anecdote is not the best way to judge popularity, and perhaps audience figures are a more accurate reflection.

But 300 000 people do, and in a world where, fro example, George Hook gets barely one third of that sort of audience, it seems to be a powerful reason for RTE to keep him. By that measure, his show is a success, whether we like it or not, and it would be a first for RTE to dump a presenter because he is a success in pulling in 300 000 listeners a day.

No matter who presented the show, it would receive 300,000 listeners. If someone who was talented had the job I would say that would jump to 400,000 quite easily.

I guess the point is you don’t have any say, and nor do I, or at least not in RTE where it counts!

In any case that’s speculation, but you are right that someone with certain talents could increase the audience. That’s probably true for Derek Mooney’s show too, and also for the oddly placed Ronan Collins spinning discs between 12-1, and for other shows too.

But that would be a risk and RTE has never has never shown much lead in being brave or visionary in its schedules, and it seems unlikely if they are suddenly going to change that policy now.
    Whatever we say , to bring in 300 000 listeners every day is enough to keep Ryan his job with the current mindset in RTE, and his show is still in the top 10 shows listened to in Ireland.

I have no idea what the ratings are for whatever show is on Today FM

It was a joke.
    Perhaps anecdote is not the best way to judge popularity

Just to clarify, I don't sit in hairdressers under hairdressers listening to woman called Maura chatting.

I was trying to leave the discussion on a lighter note.

I failed obviously.
    But 300 000 people do, and in a world where, fro example, George Hook gets barely one third of that sort of audience, it seems to be a powerful reason for RTE to keep him.

If George Hook and Gerry Ryan were swap positions, do you really believe that the viewers will follow??

They are listening to 2FM not Gerry Ryan.
    Whatever we say , to bring in 300 000 listeners every day is enough to keep Ryan his job with the current mindset in RTE, and his show is still in the top 10 shows listened to in Ireland.

Thierry Henry would pull in that listenership if he were to present the show.

It's a lucrative slot that comes with at least 250,000 listeners no matter who presents it.

Anything over and above 250,000 is down to the presenter, not below it as these would be time slot viewers that will always listen no matter the presenter.

Same thing in UK.

Terry Wogan stepped down just recently.

Listeners to that slot will drop for sure, but it will hit a listenership level that will listen to BBC Radio 2 no matter who is presenting?

Really really off out now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Degsy wrote: »
    There's no need for us to act so obsessively in wanting Ryan removed from the airwaves..after his disgraceful behaviour with regard to the paycut,with his show losing listeners by the day and with rte bleeding itself white paying big salaries in these recessionary times,word on the corridor is that his card is marked anyway.

That's a very interesting comment Degsy. How do you now what's said on the corridors of RTE? Have you a vested interest? Are you stirring this up on behalf of someone else or are you a colleague of Mr Ryan with a grudge or just plain jealous of his success? Tell us , What's the real reason behind your obsessive crusade.

Thats clearly Bull****.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Thats clearly Bull****.

Why so?

You don't think there is anyone better to host that slot than Gerry Ryan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,467 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just read through lots of posts on this thread, and I'm amazed at how hot and bothered people get about what is only a radio show.
    I can take or leave his show. It is just light entertainment. He does annoy me with his lifestyle comments (was in L'ecrivan last night with Bono etc) and he was 100% wrong with his attitude to the pay cut last year and his self important statement was annoying too.

That said though,he can be entertaining. He has a good manner with callers. Covers a wide range of topics and can have good guests.

I don't see the problem in talking about sex, masturbation etc on his show.They are genuine discussable topics and think it's a Catholic Ireland thing that people don't want them discussed. Do you really think that kids would pay that much attention to Gerry Ryan show? If they do ask you 'embarrassing' questions then just give honest answers.

Love him or hate him, Gerry Ryan brings in a lot of listeners, which in turn brings in revenues from RTE, so that arguably justifies his salary.

Paying a licence fee does not just go towards G Ryan.

Found the Facebook campaign to be pathetic, what is that going to achieve?

If I don't like something I just don't watch or listen, people should do the same with Ryan. Just because you don't enjoy something it does not mean that other people have to follow suit.
    For example, I hate ALL soap operas. Never watch them, find them pointless, never ending and inane. Can't understand why people watch them, but believe that everyone has different tastes and I'm not campaigning on Facebook to have them axed nor would I criticise anyone for enjoying them. Different strokes for different folks!

Anyhow, for all those Ryan haters on here, here's a news report that I'm sure will cheer you up!

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/lottie-launches-bid-for-fame-in-celebrity-special-2056199.html

The Ryan line continues in Rte!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't see the problem in talking about sex, masturbation etc on his show.They are genuine discussable topics and think it's a Catholic Ireland thing that people don't want them discussed.

I think it's more the way he discusses and talks about them that people have the problem with, myself included.

And that Lottie program sounds like awful awful ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Love him or hate him, Gerry Ryan brings in a lot of listeners, which in turn brings in revenues from RTE, so that arguably justifies his salary.

!

No Sir it doesn't.

Don't get drawn into the RTE spin on that one.

He deserves a good wedge, but nothing , not even close to what he gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

Just read through lots of posts on this thread, and I'm amazed at how hot and bothered people get about what is only a radio show.
    I can take or leave his show. It is just light entertainment. He does annoy me with his lifestyle comments (was in L'ecrivan last night with Bono etc) and he was 100% wrong with his attitude to the pay cut last year and his self important statement was annoying too.

That said though,he can be entertaining. He has a good manner with callers. Covers a wide range of topics and can have good guests.

I don't see the problem in talking about sex, masturbation etc on his show.They are genuine discussable topics and think it's a Catholic Ireland thing that people don't want them discussed. Do you really think that kids would pay that much attention to Gerry Ryan show? If they do ask you 'embarrassing' questions then just give honest answers.

Paying a licence fee does not just go towards G Ryan.

Found the Facebook campaign to be pathetic, what is that going to achieve?

If I don't like something I just don't watch or listen, people should do the same with Ryan. Just because you don't enjoy something it does not mean that other people have to follow suit.
    For example, I hate ALL soap operas. Never watch them, find them pointless, never ending and inane. Can't understand why people watch them, but believe that everyone has different tastes and I'm not campaigning on Facebook to have them axed nor would I criticise anyone for enjoying them. Different strokes for different folks!

Anyhow, for all those Ryan haters on here, here's a news report that I'm sure will cheer you up!

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/lottie-launches-bid-for-fame-in-celebrity-special-2056199.html

The Ryan line continues in Rte!

It's THIS kind of nepotism which drives me MAD!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

bilko1234 wrote: »
    It's THIS kind of nepotism which drives me MAD!!!!!!!!

saw this a mile off when he presented her to the Irish public
    on the Late Late a few weeks ago

he did not even get to the end of the first hour of the show without mentioning knickers

welcome back Jerry

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

saw this a mile off when he presented her to the Irish public
    on the Late Late a few weeks ago

he did not even get to the end of the first hour of the show without mentioning knickers

welcome back Jerry

Whether she has any talent or not those scumbags in RTE will give her a job simply because she's related to Ryan.
    Where's the talent?
    Where's the fairness?

Its nothing but fianna-fail style corruption..nobody should ever buy television license again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

hah ! she says her success is all down to hard work and not her connections.

sure it is * cough*

Why so?

You don't think there is anyone better to host that slot than Gerry Ryan?

That's not what you said or what I relplied to. You said "No matter who presented the show, it would receive 300,000 listeners." That is Bull**** of the highest order, anybody who knows anything about radio presentation wouldn't make such a stupid statement.

"It's definitely nice to know some people in the industry but I've had to work very hard. I've had to stand on my own two feet and get out there and get experience and prove myself."

Yeah....and having a certain Gerry Ryan pushing you night and day on the radio hasnt helped at all.
    This just reinforces my conviction that the man is using the radio show to feather his own nest and further his own agendas..its more fitting than ever that he's a Fianna Fail supporter :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maserati23

Thanks Dad...............

GERRY Ryan's eldest daughter Lottie is set to follow in his footsteps, after landing a gig presenting a TV series.
    The Herald can reveal the 2FM DJ's eldest daughter has put her dreams of making it big Stateside on hold in order to shoot the series -- which looks at children of celebrity parents -- on home soil.
    The ambitious brunette (24) has already shot the pilot for Life As A VIC (Very Important Child) and is hoping it will air as early as this autumn.
    Journalism and media graduate Lottie has plenty of experience of being a VIC, given that her dad Gerry is one of RTE's best known and highest paid broadcasters.
    Her mother, Morah, is a member of Dublin's glitterati and has been commended for the way in which she handled her split from the dad-of-five almost two years ago.
    And while Lottie, formally known as Charlotte, says that both high-profile parents are extremely encouraging about her career path, she claims her success so far is all down to hard work and not thanks to her connections.
    "It's definitely nice to know some people in the industry but I've had to work very hard. I've had to stand on my own two feet and get out there and get experience and prove myself."
    She added: "It's an MTV interview style programme and if it goes ahead I'll be going out and putting myself into their shoes for a day and living their life as they would."
    Lottie has also shot the pilot for a second series focussing on the Origins Of Dance and has just returned from a four-month stint in New York, where she landed a job as a runner for the CBS Network.

I suppose we will see the rest of your family soon eh Gerry..

Thats why you had her on Tubirdy the other week, with no relevant topic to talk about.

What feckin country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

This thread is for the discussion of the Gerry Ryan RADIO show. Any other discussion of G. Ryan related stuff should be done in the Celeb and Showbiz forum.

Any further discussion of G. Ryans family will be treated as off-topic discussion, and will be dealt with accordingly.

We will be infracting people for this.
    We will be banning people for this.

Do not say that you were not warned.

Thread locked for a couple of hours to let this sink in.

Yeah....and having a certain Gerry Ryan pushing you night and day on the radio hasnt helped at all.
    This just reinforces my conviction that the man is using the radio show to feather his own nest and further his own agendas..its more fitting than ever that he's a Fianna Fail supporter :rolleyes:

Ah Degsy, I noticed you didn't answer the question I asked you earlier about your own connections in RTE, Hiding something?

I see Ryan's figures up in todays JNLR's, so much for the rubbish that's been posted about him losing listeners. :rolleyes:

The Muppet wrote: »
    Ah Degsy, I noticed you didn't answer the question I asked you earlier about your own connections in RTE, Hiding something?

Of course i'm not going to "answer your question"..its too absurd to dignify with a response.
    And as for hiding something,i suggest that my hatred of Ryan and his ghastly show is anything but hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Been lurking here a long time and have been thoroughly enjoying Degsy's extracts from the G. Ryan book. I dont understand how people can defend such pomposity and arrogance on this thread.

By uttering such boasting drivel he has made his bed by this stage and should be able to take the abuse that deservedly goes along with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

telekon wrote: »
    Been lurking here a long time and have been thoroughly enjoying Degsy's extracts from the G. Ryan book.

Yeah, c'mon Teebs let the book quotes back in.
    Or we'll start a facebook group.:)

• Advertisement

telekon wrote: »
    Been lurking here a long time and have been thoroughly enjoying Degsy's extracts from the G. Ryan book. I dont understand how people can defend such pomposity and arrogance on this thread.

By uttering such boasting drivel he has made his bed by this stage and should be able to take the abuse that deservedly goes along with it.

whether he deserves it or not is another question, the fact is, the abuse won't be tolerated in this forum.

tbh wrote: »
    whether he deserves it or not is another question, the fact is, the abuse won't be tolerated in this forum.

ah tis only friendly abuse like....

Yeah, c'mon Teebs let the book quotes back in.
    Or we'll start a facebook group.:)

lads it's not as if I don't lol myself. but it'd be a bit two-faced of us to allow one kind of off-topicness and not another. We can't pick and choose which slagging we allow, so we don't allow any.

If you want to talk about the radio show (like the liveline thread, for example), that's grand. If not, go to celeb and showbiz.

lads it's not as if I don't lol myself. but it'd be a bit two-faced of us to allow one kind of off-topicness and not another. We can't pick and choose which slagging we allow, so we don't allow any.

If you want to talk about the radio show (like the liveline thread, for example), that's grand. If not, go to celeb and showbiz.

But thats going to be kind of tough when I refuse to listen to his show. I come here to get a cheap laugh off the book extracts and at Cunsiderthis getting his knickers in a twist. Its great craic altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

This thread is for the discussion of the Gerry Ryan RADIO show. Any other discussion of G. Ryan related stuff should be done in the Celeb and Showbiz forum.

Any further discussion of G. Ryans family will be treated as off-topic discussion, and will be dealt with accordingly.

We will be infracting people for this.
    We will be banning people for this.

Do not say that you were not warned.

Thread locked for a couple of hours to let this sink in.

This note seriously limits the scope of discussion which we have enjoyed up to now. Very often when making points about GR on his Radio show, it is necessary to refer to topics which are not DIRECTLY related to the show, just as he refers to his family on air, then we should be given the forum to respond.
    Can this entire thread not be shifted to the Celeb and Showbiz forum so we CAN have a broader scope of conversation, without "off topic" warnings and threats of banning.
    If you insist on this Dictatorial ruling, the whole subject will become fragmented and will lose it's momentum, with Book quotes and photo's going to other threads. Next you will be enforcing a "No Humour" ruling when posting opinions.
    Think this over lads
    Bilko1234 (OP)

Well,the theread IS called "The gerry Ryan megathread"..it isnt called "The Gerry Ryan radio Show Megathread"..if the man is going to be discussed in a public forum,his "work" on television and his book are highly relevant to the overall discussion..likewise his daughter is part of the picture as he mentions her constantly on his show therby making her a part of it.
    She has apparantly landed a TV job as a result of this so its utterly relevant to the discussion
    If he wants to leave his family out of the public eye he should stfu about them on air.
    The thread is being moderated well enough for fear of libel etc,there's no point squeezing the bejasus out of it completely..c'mon boards..grow a pair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

This is absurd. I think it is relevant to this discussion if we can see that he is trying to get his daughter more exposure on TV and Radio in order to get her onto the "greasy pole" at RTE. We are after all picking up the tab through the licence fee.

Of course i'm not going to "answer your question"..its too absurd to dignify with a response.

Exactly how is is absurd, You made a comment about the word in the RTE corridors, now either you are privvy to such information which could mean you have a vested interest or you were talking bull**** again. which is it?

no -this is the radio forum.

It's for people who listen to his radio show, and nothing to do with what happens outside of that.

That's a judgement call on me and slideys part, and it's not up for discussion.

IF you'd like me to move this thread to celeb and showbiz, op, I'll lock the thread, move it, and let the mods there check it before they re-open.

• Advertisement

Well,the theread IS called "The gerry Ryan megathread"..it isnt called "The Gerry Ryan radio Show Megathread"..if the man is going to be discussed in a public forum,his "work" on television and his book are highly relevant to the overall discussion..likewise his daughter is part of the picture as he mentions her constantly on his show therby making her a part of it.
    She has apparantly landed a TV job as a result of this so its utterly relevant to the discussion
    If he wants to leave his family out of the public eye he should stfu about them on air.
    The thread is being moderated well enough for fear of libel etc,there's no point squeezing the bejasus out of it completely..c'mon boards..grow a pair!

The man's makes a valid argument. How many times was Mrs Ryan mentioned per show, per day, per year for over 20 years. Integral part of the show, the G.Ryan family.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement