Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Degsy wrote: »
    Well,the theread IS called "The gerry Ryan megathread"..it isnt called "The Gerry Ryan radio Show Megathread"..if the man is going to be discussed in a public forum,his "work" on television and his book are highly relevant to the overall discussion..likewise his daughter is part of the picture as he mentions her constantly on his show therby making her a part of it.
    !

It's in the radio forum, have a read of the charter , you might understand then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

telekon wrote: »
    But thats going to be kind of tough when I refuse to listen to his show. I come here to get a cheap laugh off the book extracts and at Cunsiderthis getting his knickers in a twist. Its great craic altogether.
    bilko1234 wrote: »
    Can this entire thread not be shifted to the Celeb and Showbiz forum so we CAN have a broader scope of conversation, without "off topic" warnings and threats of banning.

On the surface that sounds like an excellent idea.
    Can it be moved?
    Would seem like the best way for everyone to continue enjoying this fine thread without breaching any rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Rookster wrote: »

This is absurd.

it is what it is. If you don't like it, don't post here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The Muppet wrote: »
    Exactly how is is absurd, You made a comment about the word in the RTE corridors, now either you are privvy to such information which could mean you have a vested interest or you were talking bull**** again. which is it?

So applying your own logic i can infer that you have a vested interest in the Gerry Ryan show..are you perhaps the person who makes the tea that he slobbers with such gusto?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

On the surface that sounds like an excellent idea.
    Can it be moved?
    Would seem like the best way for everyone to continue enjoying this fine thread without breaching any rules.

Better yet..shift it to thunderdome..we're being too nice here by half!

• Advertisement

let someone else deal with i....awwwwww

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

G. Ryan's not in the game I'm afraid.
    Unless it turns out that CreepingDeath is in fact G. Ryan.

But thats going to be kind of tough when I refuse to listen to his show. I come here to get a cheap laugh off the book extracts and at Cunsiderthis getting his knickers in a twist. Its great craic altogether.

I think that post sums up exacly what has been happening here. This is the radio forum, the humour forum is the place to go for you're laughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

tbh wrote: »
    IF you'd like me to move this thread to celeb and showbiz, op, I'll lock the thread, move it, and let the mods there check it before they re-open.

Have to agree with tbh here.

I check the thread most days and rarely is content of that particular day's show discussed in any great detail before it turns to just a discussion on Gerry rather than the radio show.

However, I do wish to carry on discussing Gerry Ryan in general.

A thread where Degsy can feel free to post book quotes and where we can all discuss whatever it is he will inflict on us next, is well needed.

So +1 on the Celeb & Showbiz move from me if the OP agrees.

you can always start a thread there anyway? I'll be honest with you, if I move it, once they see it, they won't want it. frankly, and I'm not whinging now :) - but I don't think there's a forum on boards where this thread would be modded as lightly as it is here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

OutlawPete wrote: »

So +1 on the Celeb & Showbiz move from me if the OP agrees.

But what's the moderation like on the C & S forum? Will they allow this thread to be continued in the same manner?

So applying your own logic i can infer that you have a vested interest in the Gerry Ryan show..are you perhaps the person who makes the tea that he slobbers with such gusto?

You could if you can link to any post of mine that would support the notion.

So no you can't

However i can link to a post from you in which you state that you have insider knowledge of RTE.

SO how do you have this knowledge if you haven't a vested interest or were you telling lies about it?
    There's no need for us to act so obsessively in wanting Ryan removed from the airwaves..after his disgraceful behaviour with regard to the paycut,with his show losing listeners by the day and with rte bleeding itself white paying big salaries in these recessionary times,word on the corridor is that his card is marked anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭FlashGordon1969

I only get the odd chance to listen to Gerry. He aint bad but like most of RTE -he is grossly overpaid . He would not get half that money on TV3

But what's the moderation like on the C & S forum? Will they allow this thread to be continued in the same manner?

LOL .. I just PM'd someone the same question this very second ;)

Does anyone know how to view all posts made by only one user on a thread?

I'm sure it can be done as the was link to all Feeky's posts on the Feeky thread :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I think that post sums up exacly what has been happening here. This is the radio forum, the humour forum is the place to go for you're laughs.

Youre right. Its IMPOSSIBLE to have both in one thread. That is madness altogether. You can only have a laugh in a certain thread bla bla bla. The word killjoy comes to mind.

Do yourself a favour and lighten up. If you had it your way, the radio forum would consist mainly of a population of tumbleweeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

Exactly how is is absurd, You made a comment about the word in the RTE corridors, now either you are privvy to such information which could mean you have a vested interest or you were talking bull**** again. which is it?

Why does it matter? His points are either valid or not. If we're dealing with issues rather than personalitis, it shouldn't matter a damn if Degsy is Marty Whelan, you're Gerry Ryan's mother, and I'm Cathal Goan's live-in Filipino houseboy.

Having a "vested interest" wouldn't make any of us wrong or right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to view all posts made by only one user on a thread?

I'm sure it can be done as the was link to all Feeky's posts on the Feeky thread :cool:

Click on the number under "replies" in the main page of the forum.

Youre right. Its IMPOSSIBLE to have both in one thread. That is madness altogether. You can only have a laugh in a certain thread bla bla bla. The word killjoy comes to mind.

Do yourself a favour and lighten up. If you had it your way, the radio forum would consist mainly of a population of tumbleweeds.

There is a radio forum and charter for a reason, theres no mention of cheap laughs or crack at other peoples expense in the charter.

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Click on the number under "replies" in the main page of the forum.

Ah, good man, may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Ok lads, as I said, the discussion in this forum relates to the radio show ONLY. The thread is too messy now, so I'm closing it, and opening another. OP, if you want this thread moved to celeb & showbiz, drop me a PM.

• Advertisement

Why does it matter? His points are either valid or not. If we're dealing with issues rather than personalitis, it shouldn't matter a damn if Degsy is Marty Whelan, you're Gerry Ryan's mother, and I'm Cathal Goan's live-in Filipino houseboy.

Having a "vested interest" wouldn't make any of us wrong or right.

Now Meeja you don't believe that really do you. I'm not sure if you are in the industry or not, if you are you know full well that there are lot of "personality conflicts in it. It's not only issues that are being dealt with is it?

People contributing to this thread have a right to know if what's been going on here for the past year is an orchestrated dirty tricks campaign or something less sinister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

ok - I've unlocked this thread for the moment.

Now it is in the Celeb and Showbiz forum the charter rules here apply. If the thread gets out of hand I will lock again.

the thing I feel is so objectionable about this guy is that he's got to be the luckiest guy in broadcasting. RTE feel obliged to give him tv show after tv show even tho the public have proved time and again that they've no interest in him. He's got the easiest job on radio, and he doesn't even do it well. And far from being down on his hands and knees thanking god, he has come to expect it all as his right. He wouldn't get a job in the UK, so if he ever gets knocked back by RTE, his best hope is a gig at newstalk / today fm for half the money he's on now. You'd think he'd be trying to keep his head down, but now this whole thing with his daughter - that fact that it's all so blatant really pisses me off.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that feels good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that feels good :)

It's ok. You're safe now! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Cunsiderthis

the thing I feel is so objectionable about this guy is that he's got to be the luckiest guy in broadcasting. RTE feel obliged to give him tv show after tv show even tho the public have proved time and again that they've no interest in him. He's got the easiest job on radio, and he doesn't even do it well. And far from being down on his hands and knees thanking god, he has come to expect it all as his right. He wouldn't get a job in the UK, so if he ever gets knocked back by RTE, his best hope is a gig at newstalk / today fm for half the money he's on now. You'd think he'd be trying to keep his head down, but now this whole thing with his daughter - that fact that it's all so blatant really pisses me off.

The real problem is not Gerry Ryan, as you can't blame him for hanging on and milking it for all it's worth. The same can be said for many other presenters who are obscenely overpaid for doing very little work.

The real problem is how RTE is managed, and the management in RTE will do anything to hang on to the licence fee. This includes overpaying talent to make sure the opposition can not afford them, and then they can boast that, for example, Gerry Ryan gets more listeners than anyone else on at the same time.

RTE has never been interested in quality programming and display a similar attitude towards quality programming that Mary Coughlan displays towards Ryanair, which appears, depressingly, unable to see the bigger picture over their own immature, selfish and sectional short term desires and vendettas.

To single out Gerry Ryan is to miss the point that it is the RTE management which is responsible for the situation right across RTE, and its silly to blame one presenter, Gerry Ryan who, after all, is only there because the management allow him to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

What pisses people off is that he is grossly overpaid (from public money) for what he does and he abuses his position by promoting his friends and family on a Public Service Broadcasting service.

I cannot bear to think that an off-shoot from his spunk could possibly be on the air or telly in the future.

To single out Gerry Ryan is to miss the point that it is the RTE management which is responsible for the situation right across RTE, and its silly to blame one presenter, Gerry Ryan who, after all, is only there because the management allow him to be.

You're right, RTE management are ultimately to blame. The concept of market forces seems to have completely passed them by when determining the salaries of their highest profile presenters.

But Gerry Ryan has singled himself out with his own sense of entitlement. On numerous occasions he has made it clear ,that in his opinion, he deserves every penny of his 558,990 euros. When RTE, faced with an over 100 million euro budget shortfall, asked it's top earners to take a paycut - Ryan replied that the very idea that he should take a paycut was "bull****". And lets not forget the pompous, self regarding on air speech he gave when he finally realised he had little choice but to take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Cunsiderthis

deadhead13 wrote: »
    You're right, RTE management are ultimately to blame. The concept of market forces seems to have completely passed them by when determining the salaries of their highest profile presenters.

But Gerry Ryan has singled himself out with his own sense of entitlement. On numerous occasions he has made it clear ,that in his opinion, he deserves every penny of his 558,990 euros. When RTE, faced with an over 100 million euro budget shortfall, asked it's top earners to take a paycut - Ryan replied that the very idea that he should take a paycut was "bull****". And lets not forget the pompous, self regarding on air speech he gave when he finally realised he had little choice but to take it.

I don't have to forget his on air speech as I've never heard it and have no desire to hear it!

Gerry Ryan is quite entitled to think he is worth every penny of however much it is he earns. RTE's budget shortfall is not his concern, and that you judge him pompous or not really misses the point.

All the on air talent at RTE is grossly overpaid, and Gerry Ryan is no exception.

All the on air talent at RTE is grossly overpaid, and Gerry Ryan is no exception.

So, is your argument that people shouldn't be complaining about what he gets paid or that they should also be complaining about the others?

• Advertisement

I don't have to forget his on air speech as I've never heard it and have no desire to hear it!

Gerry Ryan is quite entitled to think he is worth every penny of however much it is he earns. RTE's budget shortfall is not his concern, and that you judge him pompous or not really misses the point.

Gerry Ryan singled out in a "Gerry Ryan Megathread" shocker.

Ryan's stance against the pay cut makes him the exception. The rest of the "grossly overpaid" presenters had the sense to keep their mouths shut. Which I think was tbh's original point. And Ryan was rightly, imo, criticized for taking that stance.

As for RTE's budget shortfall not being his concern, I would have to disagreed. And I'm sure he will find out the extent it concerns him when his contract is up for renewal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement