Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Nobody has yet mentioned John Creedon...he could be the dark horse outsider in all of this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I saw Ryan on the telly last night & he really is getting enormous, his bloated neck makes him look like a giant spectacle wearing Bullfrog > Looks like he needs to loose a few stone (at least)! but wasn't he meant to be doing some TV fitness regime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

lightening wrote: »
    Nah, taking the plss.. Ryan ALWAYS has those guests on!

I meant "it can not be true" a man, with so many car crash tv moments on his CV, could possilby be considered for the gig.

For those too young to remember, "RyanTown" and "Gerry Ryan Tonight" were shockingly awful tv. His stint as Eurovision host went down about as well as dustin. Prompting Paul Merton to label him a complete tosser on "Have I got news for you". A more recent example was his attempt to hide his unsuitableness as host of "operation transformation " behind a podium.

Gerry Ryan cannot do live television in front of an audience without it going terribly wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Camelot wrote: »
    I saw Ryan on the telly last night & he really is getting enormous, his bloated neck makes him look like a giant spectacle wearing Bullfrog > Looks like he needs to loose a few stone (at least)! but wasn't he meant to be doing some TV fitness regime?

in fairness camelot, there are fatter presenters that loads of people like. So him being fat or on the telly isn't really relevant to this thread.

Everyone, you'll agree that we do let people rant to a good extent on the thread without stepping in too much, but seriously, no overtly personal comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I thought he was doing some big fitness programme a couple of months ago, hence my comment! > Maybe i'm mistaken? I saw his stint on the Late Late. pretty good I thought, but I cant stand him on the radio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

tbh wrote: »
    in fairness camelot, there are fatter presenters that loads of people like. So him being fat or on the telly isn't really relevant to this thread.

It is relevant. Part-time RTE presenter and full time sanctimonious git Derek "I'm the finest" Davis once said that he was told by his RTE boss that he was "too heavy for light entertainment". Sadly the aforementioned boss didnt capitalize on this "finest" of jokes and make the move to light entertainment himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

It is relevant.
    Not to this thread. Davis was referring to Television light entertainment, this is the Radio Board Gerry Ryan megathread.
    And really, a persons personal appearance shouldnt really have any bearing on their presentation abilities.

I can understand why people make personal comments about presenters, it's all a bit of banter really. However, you have to understand how commenting on someones personal appearance can cause us problems in the forum, there's no forum really that allows it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

He didn't read this out on his newspaper review this morning, but it was on the front page of the Mirror or the Star.
    "Bookies have suspended betting on Gerry Ryan to get the Late Late Show spot, as they believe an announcment is imminent following rumours that the "Shock-Jock" has landed the job"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭ciaramc

Quint wrote: »
    Can he go 2 minutes without mentioning either a trip to New York, Fitzpatricks Hotel, Harry Crosby and the O2 or Disneyworld?
    :pac: Ha, Ha you are so right.

I would say he gets free tickets to the O2 as he is always saying I was meant to go to so-n-so concert last night but didnt bother then. He obv gets free tickets as you wont just not bother going after forking out €55 to €100 a ticket.

But i still love listening to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Putting this boasting bourgeois oaf in front of the nation every Friday night in the depth of a economic recession is a total recipe for disaster

bilko1234 wrote: »
    He didn't read this out on his newspaper review this morning, but it was on the front page of the Mirror or the Star.
    "Bookies have suspended betting on Gerry Ryan to get the Late Late Show spot, as they believe an announcment is imminent following rumours that the "Shock-Jock" has landed the job"

Yeah I noticed this yesterday too. Seems like something is happening alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

deadhead13 wrote: »
    I meant "it can not be true" a man, with so many car crash tv moments on his CV, could possilby be considered for the gig.

Oh! Sorry, completely misunderstood your post there!
    deadhead13 wrote: »
    Gerry Ryan cannot do live television in front of an audience without it going terribly wrong.

This is why I will watch the late late show if he gets the gig! With my fist in my mouth and my ears meeting at the back of my head I will be cringing that much!!!!

I have to say, if GR gets the late late it'll kill the show stone dead. He'll alienate the core "grannies and mammies" audience and he won't appeal to young viewers.

if he does get the gig, all it will show is that RTE are out of touch with their audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

tbh wrote: »
    I have to say, if GR gets the late late it'll kill the show stone dead. He'll alienate the core "grannies and mammies" audience and he won't appeal to young viewers.

if he does get the gig, all it will show is that RTE are out of touch with their audience.

Well spotted. It was said elsewhere that the reason that people thought Gerry Ryan did so well doing the one-week LLS fill in is because he was desperately trying not to be Gerry Ryan.

Were he to get the gig full time, presto change-o, he'd be back to Victoria's Secret knickers, foine woines, Harry Crosbie, and how great free trips to disneyland are. It would be a seismic catastrophe for the Father Brian D'arcy/Red Hurley/Maeve Binchy demographic, as well as anyone under 40 who isn't a sexual deviant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Having read G R's book (disclaimer- the wife got it from the library -disclaimer) I'm totally amazed at how 99% of the negative comments posted on this thread are in fact totally accurate, it's unbelievable, did GR snip his book from boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I have to say, in all it's years of existence, I have never watched a full or even a half episode of the Late Late. When asked why, I could never give a definite answer. Was it the format, the content, the presenter? If what we're hearing proves to be the case, at least I will no longer have that problem. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭ciaramc

Well spotted. It was said elsewhere that the reason that people thought Gerry Ryan did so well doing the one-week LLS fill in is because he was desperately trying not to be Gerry Ryan.

Were he to get the gig full time, presto change-o, he'd be back to Victoria's Secret knickers, foine woines, Harry Crosbie, and how great free trips to disneyland are. It would be a seismic catastrophe for the Father Brian D'arcy/Red Hurley/Maeve Binchy demographic, as well as anyone under 40 who isn't a sexual deviant.

I was thinking he got free trips to Disney as he is always going on about it and wondered why he would never go to the other Disney Parks in LA, Paris, Tokyo. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Putting this boasting bourgeois oaf in front of the nation every Friday night in the depth of a economic recession is a total recipe for disaster

yeah but people like car crash tv

yeah but people like car crash tv

we can only dream of the horrific balls up he will make of it every Friday night*

*if he turns up

• Advertisement

Gerry Ryan is too much of a divisive figure to be given The Late Late Show. Yes, his radio show has over 300,000 listeners but there is a far larger number of people that just don't like him.

His stance against the 10% pay cut pissed off alot of people both inside and outside of RTE. It might be wishful thinking on my part, but I suspect this will be reflected in the next round of JNLR results. I think RTE will go for a safer option - Miriam O'Callaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I'd prefer G Ryan over Miriam O'Callaghan. She's too bland.

Being "too bland" has never stopped RTE before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

It's the Late Late. It's supposed to be bland 90% of the time, with 10% of shows that can actually get people talking about the issues. O'Callaghan actually has some "serious interviewing" exoperience, but she's need to work on doing better non serious interviews.

She'd be far better for the Late Late gig than Ryan.

It looks like he may now be out of favour for the LLS.
    According to the Indo last Saturday:

"A senoir source within the station says he cannot see it happening.I wouldn't be alone in thinking the smart money is still on Miriam. A media observer who has close links to RTE says Ryan has seriously annoyed the station with his pay cut antics and his book, Would the real Gerry Ryan please stand up?"
    Gerry was the last to capitulate over the pay cut issue."Then there was the Ryan book" saids the observer, "where he went on about his love of fine cigars and so on.He's supposed to be RTE's man of the people. Listeners like presenters who they think they could have a drink with. You can't have a casual pint with someone who says the Four Seasons is his canteen"

I think Gerry will be very dissapointed in this. I'm sure he thought the gig was his by right following his one off appearence last year.
    I also think he'll be pretty peeved with Pat Kenny for not giving him the heads up on his intention to leave BEFORE he went public.
    That way Gerry could've been first in with his pay cut and he would've stayed on everybody's right side. Pat Kenny was his FRIEND after all!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

I know it's frowned upon to say something positive in here, but I really liked the show today. Entertaining callers and a really good interview. Reg E. Cathey's voice could melt chocolate. :D . Can't believe someone took a toddler to see that movie, though. :confused: That's insane.

bilko1234 wrote: »
    I think Gerry will be very dissapointed in this. I'm sure he thought the gig was his by right following his one off appearence last year.I also think he'll be pretty peeved with Pat Kenny for not giving him the heads up on his intention to leave BEFORE he went public.That way Gerry could've been first in with his pay cut and he would've stayed on everybody's right side. Pat Kenny was his FRIEND after all!!!!!!

How do you know that Kenny didnt tip him off, before he had his stint covering pat (no sexual jokes please) for that one LLS episode last year.

The one thing I always disliked about Ryan was the way he tries to justify his HUGE salary by saying that he brought in the advertising to cover it. Interesting considering the article I read about TV3 having trouble getting advertisement this year, as RTE had HALVED advertising rates in order to keep their advertisers. TV3 spokespeople maintained that it was possible for RTE to do this (as they were propped up by the license payer), but was not possible for TV3 who is financed totally from advertising pretty much.

Should Gerry not now re-align his salary to the advertising (monetary value) that HE is bringing in currently. If he wants to have it like that, then his salary should be index linked. Probably the best way of getting value for the taxpayer as well, as we can be sure we arent paying for fatheads trips to his "canteen".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Gerry,s radio show is on at the moment and he has two doctors on talking about childrens ailments.Well I dont know why he bothered to have the doctors on at all as he keeps interupting them and doing most of the talking himself,Oh god I dont know why I listen to his prog.Tomorrow I will tune in to Pat the bore(not a lot of choice).

he was in his element yesterday sleeeeeezing over his co-hosts panties

• Advertisement

From the Indo last Friday:

Insiders are tipping Gerry Ryan for the Friday night show.
    "He got a terrific reaction when he stood in for Pat earlier this year. He has that edge of danger which will pull in the viewers," said a senior Montrose source.
    "What Miriam is up against is that internationally no woman has lasted hosting a major chat show. It's seems to be the case that women don't want to stay in at the weekend to look at another woman," the source indicated.
    "Whereas Gerry has proven he can do it and received the plaudits from the public at the time," he added.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement