Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

D!ckheads in the cinema

• 06-01-2009 11:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭

Went to see Che last night in the cinema and a bunch of pikeys walked in half an hour into it, dressed like they were going out to a club, phones ringing, constantly talking ("I can't read subtitles") and being a general annoyance. The screen was small and they were scattered everywhere so there was no avoiding them. I wanted to walk out when they came in but I was on a date and it was a bit of a catch 22 as to what would ruin it more. Eventually the subtitles got the best of them and they left. Shouting "Adios Amigos" to the whole cinema as they went.

Of course staff didn't check in until after they left, only then did they frequently pop in to make sure there was no disturbances.

I'm sick of this Sh!t always happening.

Anyone else got annoying cinema stories?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Eventually the subtitles got the best of them and they left.

Sorry that happened you. Subtitled films are usually a good scummer filter. The reading does their head in.

Complain to the management, get a free ticket out of it at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

I dont understand why cinemas don't put mobile signal jammers into their screens, would sort out a major problem straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Went to see Che last night in the cinema and a bunch of pikeys walked in half an hour into it, dressed like they were going out to a club, phones ringing, constantly talking ("I can't read subtitles") and being a general annoyance. The screen was small and they were scattered everywhere so there was no avoiding them. I wanted to walk out when they came in but I was on a date and it was a bit of a catch 22 as to what would ruin it more. Eventually the subtitles got the best of them and they left. Shouting "Adios Amigos" to the whole cinema as they went.

Of course staff didn't check in until after they left, only then did they frequently pop in to make sure there was no disturbances.

I'm sick of this Sh!t always happening.

You could always do what that chap in the states did!

Edit: Linky http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1102194/Man-shot-talking-Brad-Pitt-film.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Nope. Everyone of my cinema experiences has been absolutely perfect and without flaw.

(I wish)

It is bad luck though, normally subtitles do get rid of the loud obnoxious arseholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Naos wrote: »
    I dont understand why cinemas don't put mobile signal jammers into their screens, would sort out a major problem straight away.
    They can't for the sake of Emergency services personnel that might be on call 24hrs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

spurious wrote: »
    Sorry that happened you. Subtitled films are usually a good scummer filter. The reading does their head in.

Complain to the management, get a free ticket out of it at least.

Ha - sorry but this cinema are the stingiest shower of feicers I've ever come across. I was there once while a strike happened before the film started and they had to kick us out. No chance of a refund and it killed them to say we could come back and see the film we paid for only, the film which we saw zero footage of as we waited.
    Most of the time the film isn't centred on screen right, the top of the screen is at the bottom, the left is on the right and so on. Last night for example the subtitles didn't even make it onto the screen and were reflected on the black underneath. It took 10 minutes until they fixed it after a complaint.
    Typically you complain, they try to fix it. If you ask for an incentive for the annoyance and you get fobbed off every time. Would love to get consumer rights on to them, surprised if they haven't already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Isin't there a legal issue to that as it would block 999/112 calls as well? Originally i think this was the reason, though at this stage surely they can filter this somehow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

was on a date and it was a bit of a catch 22 as to what would ruin it more.

Did you get some afterwards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Definitely complain. It should be on CCTV. I know a girl who had the very same experience, complained, and didn't just get a free ticket, but about €300 worth of free tickets.

noblestee wrote: »
    Did you get some afterwards?

I'm sure the pikeys certainly did having seen the state of the girls in the tiny hot pants and bellymuffin tops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Ha - sorry but this cinema are the stingiest shower of feicers I've ever come across. I was there once while a strike happened before the film started and they had to kick us out. No chance of a refund and it killed them to say we could come back and see the film we paid for only, the film which we saw zero footage of as we waited.
    Most of the time the film isn't centred on screen right, the top of the screen is at the bottom, the left is on the right and so on. Last night for example the subtitles didn't even make it onto the screen and were reflected on the black underneath. It took 10 minutes until they fixed it after a complaint.
    Typically you complain, they try to fix it. If you ask for an incentive for the annoyance and you get fobbed off every time. Would love to get consumer rights on to them, surprised if they haven't already.

At least it gave you a topic of conversation for you and your date!

Only had one bad experience in a cinema - power cut half way through the film. Can't think of the name of the film but it was the one that was based on Jack the Ripper and Johnny Depp had the lead role....
    On leaving they stamped our tickets and told us that we could return to watch it again. On thinking back, I never did go to watch it again... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

They can't for the sake of Emergency services personnel that might be on call 24hrs.
    Isin't there a legal issue to that as it would block 999/112 calls as well? Originally i think this was the reason, though at this stage surely they can filter this somehow?

It has nothing to do with emergency numbers. Jammers broadcast a powerful signal on the frequencies used by your mobile phone. These frequencies are owned by mobile phone operators and as such you do not have the legal right to interfere with them. There are substantial fines for doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Going to the cinema now is hit and miss. 75% of the time i go somebody will be being a nuisance. a pain in the bullux considering it's 9.90

Recently I got a bottle and a jacket thrown at me then the skanger came down and asked for his jacket back....

Ticktactoe wrote: »
    At least it gave you a topic of conversation for you and your date!

Only had one bad experience in a cinema - power cut half way through the film. Can't think of the name of the film but it was the one that was based on Jack the Ripper and Johnny Depp had the lead role....
    On leaving they stamped our tickets and told us that we could return to watch it again. On thinking back, I never did go to watch it again... :rolleyes:

That's the thing, many people if they see half the film would rather not return and watch it over again to see the rest, they'd wait for DVD and maybe see something else. Happened my mom for the Last King of Scotland, the projector broke 2 minutes before the end and they would only let them return to watch the film over again. No chance they would just fix the problem and screen the ending or give a refund.
    I'd go see something else and then sneak into the film to see the ending if that happened me. My mom being the woman she is followed their rules and saw the whole film again to see those 2 minutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Tips for avoiding scum:
    1. Go to a subtitled film - even better go to a film in a foreign language that is unsubbed. Bleedin' foreigners takin' them jobs that other people have.
    2. Go to a morning screening if available. They don't get up early.
    3. Wait til the film has been out a couple of weeks. They have short memory spans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Your typical scumbag seems to just go the cinema for something to do, not for the movie.

Brought the OH to twilight last week, it was like a scanger moth-lightbulb. They couldnt seem to sit still for more than five minutes, and couldnt have been following the film

Time it right; I find cinemas tend the be scum-free on weeknights

spurious wrote: »
    Tips for avoiding scum:
    1. Go to a subtitled film - even better go to a film in a foreign language that is unsubbed. Bleedin' foreigners takin' them jobs that other people have.
    2. Go to a morning screening if available. They don't get up early.
    3. Wait til the film has been out a couple of weeks. They have short memory spans.

It's a bit sad that you have to go to those lengths just to see a movie!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Went to see Be Kind Rewind with a few friends a couple of months back. A bunch of bohyo's came into the cinema late, sat down, yapped to each other, on thier phones, blah blah blah. They obviously didn't understand the movie and decided that they where leaving, they all got up, started talking to the audience, starting shouting and proceeded to leggit because they where rapid and thought they had sucessfully ruined everyones cinema going experience. But no, they could do more, they found the light switch and turned on the lights....staff came in about 10 minutes later and turned them off.
    Bear in mind that staff had come into the cinema while the boyraa's where there to monitor them, but didnt do anything and didnt bother to check until 10 minutes after they had left.
    After the movie finsihed, people done thier thing and started filing out and began to leave. I couldnt believe that people would settle for what happened. So i gathered as many of the patrons togehter as possible and found the manager. We where all given free passes to the cinema after explaining the situation...they gave out the free passes reluctantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Theres always downloading the movies and watching them in a guaranteed scumbag-free zone i.e. your sitting room! :)

Cant wait to see that Che movie so if the OPs enjoyment was soured by those knobheads then I sympathise. I honestly think I'm gonna punch the bastards the next time it happens to me :mad:

Still enjoyed the movie but it's one you don't want to be distracted by, I was missing a lot because of them taking my attention. Looking forward to part 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Was in Dun Laoghaire cinema a few years back watching Saw 3 I think - bunch of scobies behind me making noise... I could feel the anger building - one of the skanger lads thought he was "de man" because he had some skanger boird sitting on his lap. I eventually stood up and told them to shut the f*ck up and that worked... for about 5 minutes... the noise levels started creeping up again and I just let it go. You end up spending more time with high blood pressure than actually watching the film. Next time I will get the cinema attendants.

While arsholes in the cinema piss me off as much as anyone else, what do you honestly expect the staff to do? You have a bunch of skangers in the cinema, these are the same people you cross the road to avoid, the reason you don't sit upstairs on the bus anymore, the ones who frequent the pubs you avoid, who will stab you as quick as spit on you and you want a bunch of pimply teenagers with braces to come in to the theatre and kick them out while earning minimum wage? Lets face it nothing will change unless you change it yourself or the cinemas start employing bouncers!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

Went to see Yes Man man in Santry a few days ago, some couple brought in their 3 year old daughter who spent the first half of the film running around in circles shouting and screaming. I suppose she mustn't have enjoyed the masturbation and blow job jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    But no, they could do more, they found the light switch and turned on the lights....staff came in about 10 minutes later and turned them off.

You sat with the lights on for 10 minutes? If the skangers foudn the lightswitch surely you could have too?
    blah wrote: »
    I suppose she mustn't have enjoyed the masturbation and blow job jokes.

She was probably a bit too mature for them. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭UsedtobePC

Lets face it nothing will change unless you change it yourself or the cinemas start employing bouncers!

It's a pretty sad state of affairs if we need bouncers all around us to make sure we enjoy any sort of activity.

Neuter the dastards I say! Sure, it'll take a few years but what the heck. It's worth the waiting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I was at the cinema with a friend a few months ago and a couple sat in front of us, one seat to the left of us. They looked like a nice normal (whatever normal is!) couple so it didn't dawn on us that there would be any problems.

The woman burped throughout the film. She wasn't doing it to annoy anyone, she just thought it was an acceptable thing to do. When she wasn't burping she was clinging to the guy she was it and saying things like, "Are you ok, baby?"

It was annoying but I just found the whole thing hilarious. I felt sorry for the guy because she seemed so clingy.....and obviously because of the burping thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭afatbollix

used to work in a cinema...

a few things... staff dont care i used to work in scumbagville of the cinema on parnell street in dublin where we would find more seringes than drinks bottles

if you came out to complain we go in look at the people and then leave... theres not much you can do.. if ya do go up to them they tell you to **** off... but we had security so it helped.. the small cinemas wouldent...

only option is to get the manager.. they will prob kick them out stright away...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Right, 7/8 years ago I am in the uci in coolock with wife and another couple. 21.00 hrs app monday night.The watcher was on .Appx 60 to 70 in the cinema. We are half way down in the middle. A couple at the back talking etc , no prob the movie aint started yet. Anyway from time to time you could hear bits and pieces from them and then all of a sudden 7 I quote" YOU FU..IN SKKUMMBAG GET YOUR HANDS OUT OF THERE WITH ME CARRYING YOUR KID" Me and my mate are in tears , trying not to laugh etc.. Quiet returns and then all you hear is ,Ah f..k me new jeans that cheese wont come out of them you F.....G Bi..h. He stood up and left with her in tow to which the rest of us started to applaude and cheer. Cant remember the movie but I do those two twats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Boston wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with emergency numbers. Jammers broadcast a powerful signal on the frequencies used by your mobile phone. These frequencies are owned by mobile phone operators and as such you do not have the legal right to interfere with them. There are substantial fines for doing so.

They tried it before in the Savoy in Dublin, but COMREG made them stop as they were deemed to be broadcasting without a license.

See - http://www-srv-3.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=92978

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

Have almost stopped going to the cinema entirely at this point,just get too stressed!am sitting there on tenterhooks for the first person to start talking or using their phone.The worst ones have been

1-Woman beside me who took out her phone and started texting 10 minutes into the film,light from the phone was really bright.asked her to stop,she gave me a filthy look,stopped for a while.20 minutes later,same thing happened.was fit to kill her

2-Young couple sat across from me,sit facing each other and chat away,full volume,not even pretending to watch the film.After a few choice words from me,they got up and moved,sat up the back but could still hear them-GAH!

3-Worst of all,went to see Hellboy 2.some obnoxious tw*t and his ladyfriend sat in front of us.When the title came up he shouts "AWW YEAH,HELLBOY!",yer one giggles like its the funniest thing ever.He then preceeded to explain in detail every plot point in the film to her-"That guys a ghost","He's gonna fight him now","Thats Hellboy"(no sh*t Sherlock).Eventually asked them to be quiet,they ignored me so I asked again,the guy says "We're trying to watch the movie dude"(he was American),then went back to his commentary.was fuming with rage

have people just gotten ruder over the years?like,€10 is a good chunk of change,why waste it by talking/texting/messing??

Sesudra wrote: »
    "We're trying to watch the movie dude"(he was American)

Have you ever heard Americans in the cinemas with their cheering and clapping. If you have the Sin City deluxe edition DVD stick on the Commentary which is just the noise of the audience, every actors name mentioned gets a cheer, even the movie studio logos. It's quite sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

I remember going to see King Kong and these few boyos started taking pictures of what was going on :confused: Flashes everywhere,sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I always try to start applause as the credits roll

It rarely works anymore :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i had this before, so i started chuckin m&m's at the wannabe hardy muppets...

they started all the disturbances in the cinema... i.e: kicking peoples seats, laughing as loud as they can etc...

Nothing like a hand full of green sweets to make people leave and come back with security....

RATS !!! rats i tells ya !!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I remember going to see King Kong and these few boyos started taking pictures of what was going on :confused: Flashes everywhere,sad
    Thats copyright infringement :pac:

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

In cinema one night with 2 friends, half way through the movie, 2 junkies walk in and start having sex no more than 2 feet away in the row in front of us. The noises they made will haunt me forever.

We walked out, the movie was rubbish too and we got a refund. The staffwere aware of the couple before we reported them but were unable to find them. Apparently they were well known for doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I went to see Eight Legged Freaks with the gf years ago and some scumbags were kicking the back of my chair repeatedly, throwing food at other people, talking on their phones and generally being annoying. It was really really bad. A horrible experience. So we just got up and left.

The scumbags were annoying too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Its annoying when the person behind you puts their feet up on the back of your seat, you can feel this intermittent kicking sensation.

you can feel this intermittent kicking sensation.

Isn't that called pregnancy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Society in general has gone to the dogs. Everyone just does their own thing. Rules and general courtesies knowing your place etc have gone. Most people now wont stand up to these thugs as they are afraid and they are probably right cause life has become cheap these days. I am from a generation who new what was what or else somebody sorted you out not in todays sorting out , a slap or two and you ran off.

RESPECT !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

when i went to see the Strangers a while ago there was a group over the far side of dopes who just kept pi**ing themselves laughing Really loud. Oh God...theres nothing more annoying. the fact that they pay to sit there and laugh through a horror. And Yap and talk on the phone.
    What can ya do though? one of these days i'm sure i'll speak up.:o

I remember seeing a bloke once, turn around and roar the head off some little sh*ts before. everyone clapped. was so good. If i was guaranteed a few claps yo back me up i'd be away!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Some of them do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The guy wrote: »
    Some of them do.

No they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Have you ever heard Americans in the cinemas with their cheering and clapping. If you have the Sin City deluxe edition DVD stick on the Commentary which is just the noise of the audience, every actors name mentioned gets a cheer, even the movie studio logos. It's quite sad.

Thats not all Americans, its a certain ethnicity of americans i wont name for fear of being labelled a racist, but yes ive seen it first hand in U.S cinemas, the whooping and hollering and the 'AW HELL NAWS!'
    The best was my ex gf telling me she saw The Aviator in the cinema, and one scene where Leo DiCaprio falls out of a burning plane, and one audience member whoops 'NIGGAS ON FIYAH!!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Isnt it a shame that you have to go to the cinema midweek/mornings etc just to be able to sit down and watch a film in peace.

I made the mistake of going to a 12's movie ( ghost town) all along the back row was a bunch of tracksuit tucked into the socks aged from id say 9 to 14. They where chatting away before the film started no problem the ads came on they sang along with the cadbury's gorilla still not a problem then the film was starting one got a phone call from some girl and then started to ask her who she liked the most out of them all then in 2's. so the film was starting all we could hear was do you like gary or steven more ? oh gary ok do you like gary or kevin more ? ...........

After about 10mins we went out to complain said they are under age and wont shut up, in fairness the staff marched in took them all and brought them out. Great i thought every one around was saying good job. then after about 20 mins the staff came back in with all the knacks told them to sit down and behave put them sitting right behind me. with them going past saying thats the guy that ratted on us.

They shut up for while then the ADD kicked in again and they started talking moving kicking seats and then the phone went again so i turned around told them to shut up which again only lasted 10mins untill they started harrasing a poor woman on her own leaning over the seats telling her they dont like girls with glasses she was clearly quite nervous so i went over caught the scoab threw him back in to his chair told them to leave her alone at which point they left. 30 secs before the end. On my way out they where trying to sneak into another film.

Whole thing was ruined if i had paid for the tickets id have asked for my money back but they where a freebie from the manager anyway so i couldnt really !!

And the industry wonders why people are downloading movies now instead of going and forking out 30 euro for the cinema !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

No they don't.

I heard(I know, it sounds very unreliable) that in some cinema in Wexford they have a jammer in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I heard(I know, it sounds very unreliable) that in some cinema in Wexford they have a jammer in place.
    Probably just thick walls and signal struggling to penetrate the sound deadening they have on the walls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

mick_irl wrote: »
    They tried it before in the Savoy in Dublin, but COMREG made them stop as they were deemed to be broadcasting without a license.

See - http://www-srv-3.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=92978

Get your own :)

http://www.naconindia.com/mobile-jammer.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Some of them do.
    No they don't.

That reminds me. If you lot think the cinema is bad, try going to a panto. I went to see Cinderella over the Christmas with some young relatives. The audience was whooping and cheering and whistling and clapping and laughing. At one point they were actually having a full blown argument with one of the actors about whether or not somebody was behind them or not.

When it got to the bit where
    the prince asked Cinderella to try on the glass slipper, they were all shouting at him that she was the one. Totally ruined the dramatic impact of him realising he'd found his mystery woman imo.

After we left, the kids I was with asked me why all the other people were so rude and noisy during the show. I honestly didn't know what to tell them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

ah you can't go anywhere these days without them damn kids annoying you. there was a group of them when i went to see boy in the striped pjs, some lady told them to shut up and eventually they left!

worst thing is smelly people in the cinema.

and kids! what kid of parent brings a child to a completly inappropriate film? is therenot laws about who can and can't be allowed in age-wise.
    i remember being stopped a good few times when i was around 12/13. does this not happen anymore?

• Advertisement
Advertisement