Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit issue

Options
  • 06-01-2009 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

So i moved out of a house recently. We have given the closing bills for the ESB and gas. They are now dragging there feet saying that we must pay the bills before we get our deposit back. We were planing on using the deposit to pay these bills. Surely if the bills are in my name and billed to a different address then as far as the agancy is concerned it is nothing to do with them.
    where do i stand on this issue? do i have to pay the bills first to get my deposit back or should the agency be giving back the deposit regardless?
    help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

If you don't pay these bills, the owner will end up with them if he wants to continue these services smoothly for the next tenants. I've imagine a lot of people give a fake forwarding address and disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

If the bill is in your name and you had given esb you new address then i don't see what the agency can have issue with. Thats exactly what i did when i moved. The amount owing was carried forward by esb to my new bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭shivkk06

Ring Threshold, they will tell you who is right or wrong and even ring agancy if necessary on your behalf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

So i moved out of a house recently. We have given the closing bills for the ESB and gas. They are now dragging there feet saying that we must pay the bills before we get our deposit back. We were planing on using the deposit to pay these bills. Surely if the bills are in my name and billed to a different address then as far as the agancy is concerned it is nothing to do with them.
    where do i stand on this issue? do i have to pay the bills first to get my deposit back or should the agency be giving back the deposit regardless?
    help!

I think the agency is being fair. There are so many scumbag tenants out there that they are not willing to take risks. I can't blame them for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tonyfillony

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I think the agency is being fair. There are so many scumbag tenants out there that they are not willing to take risks. I can't blame them for this.

IF the letting agancy is so worried so couldnt they take the total of both bills of the deposit and pay the bills themselves. this is getting very frustrating , even if we did pull a runner with the money and not pay the bills the agancy would still be in the clear as the contract for the esb and gas were in my name and not the agency, therefore i would be liable and not the agency

• Advertisement

We don't know what their deposit returning procedure is. Whatever it is, and whatever their reasons, they have the upper hand.

I reckon you should just pay the bills...

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tonyfillony

AARRRGH wrote: »
    We don't know what their deposit returning procedure is. Whatever it is, and whatever their reasons, they have the upper hand.

I reckon you should just pay the bills...

I would if i could, but i cant so i wont! i honestly dont have the money after xmas to pay the bills thats was what the deposit was meant for. i think i will talk to them again and tell them to subtract the total bill amount from the deposit and get them to pay the bill themselves if they are so worried about us pulling a runner. seems resonable to me

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

I don't get the impression the op doesn't intend to pay the bills but at the end of the day if the bill is in his name and now attached to another property then how and when he pays the bill is up to him and between him and the esb or gas company. I really fail to see what it has to do with the agency or how they can claim they would be liable for any money owed. From my experience once i rang the esb on the day i moved out and transferred to another address when i rang a short time later with a query their system showed no connection with my old landlord

I would if i could, but i cant so i wont! i honestly dont have the money after xmas to pay the bills thats was what the deposit was meant for. i think i will talk to them again and tell them to subtract the total bill amount from the deposit and get them to pay the bill themselves if they are so worried about us pulling a runner. seems resonable to me

I think you are being reasonable, but I think the agency is being cautious, and is right to be cautious! There are so many scumbags out there. As someone who rents out a room, it depresses me how dishonest some people are.

Advertisement