Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway City Library

Options
  • 06-01-2009 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭

I'm back in college on a part time basis, one day a week, up in Dublin, however i work the other four days, down in Galway. I need access to a library for academic research, in Galway. I've a few questions about Galway Library.

Is it easy to join?

Does it have many much of a database when it comes to academic journals etc?

If anybody has any other suggestions on where to go for research i'd greatly aprreciate it (i'm doing a post grad in Health and Safety).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't know about the academic journals etc but seems easy to join
    http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/Library/LibraryMembership/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

From what I know I do think that the Galway Library has some academic journals but I wouldn't be sure as to how many and on how varied the subjects.

NUI,G Library has thousands of academic journals, I'm not sure if they look for ID these days but they definitely didn't in the past. The only thing is you won't be able to take any out if you're not staff, student or alumni.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Das Kitty wrote: »
    From what I know I do think that the Galway Library has some academic journals but I wouldn't be sure as to how many and on how varied the subjects.

NUI,G Library has thousands of academic journals, I'm not sure if they look for ID these days but they definitely didn't in the past. The only thing is you won't be able to take any out if you're not staff, student or alumni.

Hmm, I've a degree from NUIG that i got a long time ago, i'll give them a shout and see how it works for alumni.

Cheers!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I think you have to apply for a card for the library as an alumni. I remember getting a letter about it when I graduated a few years back but I didn't bother as I didn't care if I never saw that library again.

I've mellowed on it over the years but I do still get a slight feeling of dread going by. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I think you have to apply for a card for the library as an alumni. I remember getting a letter about it when I graduated a few years back but I didn't bother as I didn't care if I never saw that library again.

I've mellowed on it over the years but I do still get a slight feeling of dread going by. :)
    I rang the library in NUIG there, they told me that i just have to go in and get my picture taken and they'll sort me out with a free library card. Sorted!

I know all about that felling of dread associated with the place, I spent many the day cramming for exams at the last minute and trying to get a seat!;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement