Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 3-dont believe the hype

Options
  • 06-01-2009 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

After weeks of nearly having a heart attack,waiting to play Fallout 3,I bought it last week,and to say the least I find it a very dissapointing game,I was looking at the screenshots,reviews and trailers,and hearing that was a game made by the obilvion people and used its engine,'but it wasnt just simply Oblivion with guns',but thats exactly what it is,it is the exact same game except its set in future and you use guns,but the whole set up is far more complicated that you dont bother to get used to it,and on the east setting its far too easy but on medium its far too difficult,the story is uninvolving and boring,and in parts,stupid,obilivion was a far better concept,a real stinker in my opinion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

How much did you play of it before coming to your conclusion about the "stupid" story out of interest?

Far too difficult on the medium setting? hmm, rightio!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Completey and utterly disagree. Spent about 50hrs playing through it and was glued to it from beginning to end.

Also the game is piss easy on medium.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Let me guess: you haven't left Megaton yet or just barely have. Blow the bomb up and tell me you feel the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

To be honest, I played most of the way through it and I have to agree. I am a huge fan of the earlier stuff, played them all to death. But I just did not find that this one roped me in as much.

I love oblivion, I love fallout, but their bastard lovechild just does not cut it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    After weeks of nearly having a heart attack,waiting to play Fallout 3,I bought it last week,and to say the least I find it a very dissapointing game,I was looking at the screenshots,reviews and trailers,and hearing that was a game made by the obilvion people and used its engine,'but it wasnt just simply Oblivion with guns',but thats exactly what it is,it is the exact same game except its set in future and you use guns,but the whole set up is far more complicated that you dont bother to get used to it,and on the east setting its far too easy but on medium its far too difficult,the story is uninvolving and boring,and in parts,stupid,obilivion was a far better concept,a real stinker in my opinion

So you didn't bother trying to get into it and then you say it's uninvolving and boring, and too hard?

I found it quite playable on medium.

Also, I must have missed the VATS button in Oblivion, if it's just Oblivion with guns. Damn, that would have made things easier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

I too bought into the hype and purchased the game only to be severely let down, its just so.......... BORING!. Can I have my €30 back please? reminds of the time someone told me Dr.Pepper was nice, I'd also like my 75p back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

MOH wrote: »
    So you didn't bother trying to get into it and then you say it's uninvolving and boring, and too hard?

I found it quite playable on medium.

Also, I must have missed the VATS button in Oblivion, if it's just Oblivion with guns. Damn, that would have made things easier.

Talk about pulling at straws! You know what he means when he describes it as oblivion with guns. That's like saying something like Zombie Panic Source should not be considered a half life mod, because you know, can become a zombie! Totally different!!!!1

I don't call it that mind, because I think it is significantly worse than oblivion (And I am a huge fan of the fallout licence). But I am also of the opinion that this is the kind of end result I would expect to see from a modder team doing a total conversion based on oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I'm about 40 hours in and have just gotten to
    vault 112
    . I'm thoroughly engrossed in this game, more than any I've ever played come to think of it! Which is weird because I wasn't a huge fan of oblivion (didn't even finish it tbh). Maybe its the guns :p

Its my GOTY 2008 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

It's one of those games you either love or hate. I don't think anyone who is time pressed would enjoy it all. I played it for a few hours but don't have the time to invest any serious gameplay into it, hence I find it boring and slow. Whereas people I know have alot of time, mostly lazy students, are loving it and wasting their days away on it.
    It's not for me at all, nor is Oblivion, but I can see the attraction if you had the time it spend on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 LoadedNapalm

I totally agree with you. I found the game a complete yawn! I played a good 17 - 20 hours of it and just couldn't take anymore so i lent it to a mate. Playing Fable 2 now and it's by far more entertaining :)

All the people i know that have it love it and were appalled when i said i hated it. You either love it or hate it i guess, there's not much middle ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

You havent played the game probperly until you can go into Rivet City and do a "Terminator Police Station" effort.

Cleared the place out. Of course then I had to reload the saved game, but man it was fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Never has someone on the internet been more..........WRONG.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I got addicted. Payed too much over xmas. Way too much. It was a good game.
    Highly addictive, but only good tbh.

Still, I'm not sure what I wanted to be honest. Best game of last year mind you (but that wasn't very hard).

It could have done with more super mutant bohemouths (sp?). I only had the joy of coming across one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I hated it too, but I'm not sure why. As someone mentioned earlier, time is probably a huge factor for me, since I dont get long stretches of time to play, but I felt exactly the same about oblivion.

Maybe its something unique to bethesda, but they both bored me to death. I love my RPG's but I just couldnt enjoy either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

There are at least 5 Behemoths in the game.
    And I have to agree with LoadedNapalm, Fable 2 is much better game.

I'm probably about 30 hrs into Fallout 3 and its a very frustrating game, the story is mediocre, and the characters are woeful. Even though I'm playing as a good character I still want to shoot most of them to shut them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I have the thing sitting upstairs. It is my next game to get into.

Didn't realise it was so marmite-like, hope my love of JRPGS will mean I like it (even though its a WRPG before some1 says it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I can't believe people prefer Fable II to Fallout 3! Fable II is nothing more than a slight update to the first game with stupid button tappy games for jobs and a story that can be finished in the time it takes my gran to fart. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I can't believe people prefer Fable II to Fallout 3! Fable II is nothing more than a slight update to the first game with stupid button tappy games for jobs and a story that can be finished in the time it takes my gran to fart. :)

Both games have their appeal. Some like the complexity and freedom of fallout 3's structure, some like the granny fart simplicity of fable 2.

Both are excellent games in their own right (although I cant see the appeal as clearly in Fallout)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I got so bored of Oblivion. It felt so clunky and boring but Fallout 3 has me hooked.
    You can see where they shoe horned Fallout into Oblivion at times (
    Vampires, Ghouls and Knights
    ) but once you spend a bit of time with it, and that seems to be the key, its so much fun.

Another thing I find, and this is one of the Oblivion with guns arguements, is that the whole inventory of weapons, items, rads and what not is much easier to get to grips with. In Oblivion the whole mana and points of this and points of that just confused me.

Building a weapon is just like making a potion in Oblivion but its recognisable for my little engineers head.

Oh and exploding pants ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

mcgovern wrote: »
    Even though I'm playing as a good character I still want to shoot most of them to shut them up.

Why don't you? That's half the fun of fallout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

5uspect wrote: »
    I got so bored of Oblivion. It felt so clunky and boring but Fallout 3 has me hooked.
    You can see where they shoe horned Fallout into Oblivion at times (
    Vampires, Ghouls and Knights
    )

2/3 things mentioned were in fallout 1+2
    Ghouls were always a feature of the game and the Brotherhood of steel are meant to be the techno knights of the wastelands

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Big fallout fan, I was playing fallout 2 up until last year and I had pretty high hopes for fallout 3.

Initially I was not disappointed, the game looked stunning and they seemed to have captured the look of the fallout universe. However the more I played the more I noticed the flaws: the console inspired simplicity, lack of true roleplaying, lack of character depth and above all a complete lack of the original twisted humor that made you want to live in a post apocalyptic wasteland.

By the time I finished the game I was ready to move on.

Don't get me wrong, fallout 3 is a good game. I have played lots of good games. I can't really see myself playing fallout 3 again. It was just too forgettable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

mcgovern wrote: »
    There are at least 5 Behemoths in the game.

Even though I'm playing as a good character I still want to shoot most of them to shut them up.

there are indeed 5. but did anyone have trouble
    making the last one spawn, the one closest to megaton. where you have to open the right shopping cart to make him spawn. that seemed pure bent..
    still though, got them all and received my precious achievement

the only ones I REALLY wanted to shoot were the little fuuckers in little lamplight. so annoying..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have played a huge amount of both, and I think I prefer Fable II at the end of the day. Fallout is a very good game indeed - the world is wonderfully realised, the freedom is terrific and overall it is a very engrossing piece of work. However, the exact same can be said of Fable II, but it is implemented differently. The social aspects may be simplistic in execution, but the freedom you have in how you go about these simple interactions is pretty impressive too - you can talk to, fight, marry anyone you want within the game world. The economic side of the game is wildly addictive. The game world is a tightly designed fantasy universe. The accessibility is a boon rather than a problem - it is pick up and play, and you can go off and do what you want (which is far harder to do in Fallout due to the level and skills based system they employ).

Both games have a lot of good points, but both have problems - Fable II can be a bit of a technical mess, while Fallout 3s Wasteland can feel a little too cold and overly scripted when it comes to interactions with other people (the game really draws you in when exploring on your own). But they are both very different games, and both are very worthy on their own terms. Fable II is a very cleverly designed game underneath the playful superficial appearances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

I pondered on peoples comments here regarding my intial comment and decided to give it the benefit of the doubt,and after 50 hours of play Im sticking to my guns(no pun intended),its a very uninvoling,boring,cold game,I know its a serious RPG but there is absolutely no emotion or humour about it at all,it is Obilvion with guns without a doubt,but the concept of a medievil stlye fantasy land in oblivion is a far better concept for the engine then a post nuclear war acopcalypse world portrayed in Fallout,I know the appeal is in you can do what you want,and go where you want,but that doesnt nessacarily mean thats what make a game good,a small amount of linearity is needed in my view,Obilivion for me is the superior game

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

after 50 hours of play

50hrs of play in 23hrs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Zulu wrote: »
    I got addicted. Payed too much over xmas. Way too much. It was a good game.
    Highly addictive, but only good tbh.

Still, I'm not sure what I wanted to be honest. Best game of last year mind you (but that wasn't very hard).

It could have done with more super mutant bohemouths (sp?). I only had the joy of coming across one.

Fight your way into the centre of the capitol building and there is another one.

Very easy to kill though as you can stay in a hallway that he can not reach and take him out from long range.

Also it is waaaaaayyyyy too easy on medium, my next play through has to be on harder settings

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

uberpixie wrote: »
    2/3 things mentioned were in fallout 1+2
    Ghouls were always a feature of the game and the Brotherhood of steel are meant to be the techno knights of the wastelands

Ah, I see. I haven't played the previous games and I just figured they added those for convenience as they're similar to Oblivion. I saw Fallout 1 & 2 in a bundle recently for €5 somewhere, I'll have to pick them up.

As regards the game being cold, I have numerous laugh out loud moments.
    Vault exhibition in the Technology Museum where the vioce over describes the self cleaning vault where you never have to clean again and there's a poor skeleton on the floor beside a mob and bucket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

5uspect wrote: »
    Ah, I see. I haven't played the previous games and I just figured they added those for convenience as they're similar to Oblivion. I saw Fallout 1 & 2 in a bundle recently for €5 somewhere, I'll have to pick them up.

You can pick them up from GOG.com for $6 each. The advantage of buying from Good old games is that the games are fully patched and reworked to work with XP/Vista. (you also get little extras like the sound track etc..)

There can be jiggery pokery getting fallout 1 working on xp if you buy an off the shelf copy but you can look up for a guide on No munants allowed to get it working fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

oeb wrote: »
    Talk about pulling at straws! You know what he means when he describes it as oblivion with guns. That's like saying something like Zombie Panic Source should not be considered a half life mod, because you know, can become a zombie! Totally different!!!!1

I don't call it that mind, because I think it is significantly worse than oblivion (And I am a huge fan of the fallout licence). But I am also of the opinion that this is the kind of end result I would expect to see from a modder team doing a total conversion based on oblivion.

Huh? I wasn't pulling at straws, I was arguing the 3 main points the OP made.

If the 'oblivion with guns' comment hadn't been entrenched in people's minds before the game was released, people wouldn't be going around saying it. VATS alone makes a huge difference to how the game is played. Unless of course you don't bother getting used to it.

I got bored with Oblivion halfway through, but I was glued to this all the way through, and I'll probably play through it at least once more when I get time.

Advertisement