Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 3-dont believe the hype

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I don't completely agree with the OP, but I was disappointed with Fallout 3. I played it start to finish and all the side missions but there comes a point that you are just unbeatable and everything gets very repetitive. Abandoned building - full of super mutants X 100. Oblivion was far more impressive and had much more replay value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

It's a great game. I found it funny.
    The antagoniser versus the the mechanist or whatever he was called was done well and stood out for me, even if the quixotic/delusional superhoeroes and villains joke is fairly old by now
    I played it on medium straight through, concentrating on the main quest and only doing a handful of the side quests that i stumbled across. It does get pretty easy at the end when you have the good equipment and if you leveled up in a halfway senile manner - I think that most games where you can select traits to level up become too easy at some point though if you make sensible choices (immediate strong examples that spring to mnd are ff tactics and deus ex) - I guess this is because they base the difficulty curve on stupid leveling choices to prevent the possibilty of the game becoming unplayable for players who make bad choices.
    I started another game on hard intending to do a lot of the side quests and play as an evil character. I found that fun but lost interest after a while. I was still neutral when I topped playing - I saved megaton again because I liked having the house to store stuff in

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I too was disappointed with the super mutant and Enclave offerings. Whereas they were tough SOBs that required strategy in the originals, too often in Fallout 3 I found myself confronted with a wave of them at a time, struggling to pick between a laser rifle or hunting rifle head shots to take them out.

I'm sorry, but you can't escape the fact that fallout 3 has been dumbed down (I'm not getting on my very high horse here and being intel-licktual, when I say dumbed down I mean it offers little depth or challenge). I'm not saying lets go back to isometric viewpoints with grids, I do like the new look and the introduction of VATS, but the combat goes beyond simple. It's downright tedious and moves from being exciting at the start to a chore towards the end.

Perhaps this is poor character and game design that didn't plan beyond characters reaching level 10, or maybe, just maybe, it is the face of console gaming rearing its ugly head again. Now, I'm not getting into some fanboy debate, they can check their loyalties at the door. I play PS3, xbox 360 (both my younger brother's) and my PC and while gaming has got more technically complicated in the last 10 years and made the move to more cinematic ideals (along with cinematic budgets), a lot of modern games, RPGs in particular, seem to focus on cheap thrills rather than rewarding gameplay. I was never a D&D player mind, that kind of game is a bit too extreme for me, but fallout struck a nice balance between RPG and action. Fallout 3, for me, has swung just a bit too far into the action realm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

1 thing that really gets to me

ghouls
    mutants
    scorpions
    cenaturs

I wish that there were a few more enemy characters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

I tried to buy this yesterday. Nowhere in town had it for the 360. Bought a jumper instead. The OP probably thinks I got a good deal out of this but what say the rest of ye?

Jumper or Fallout 3?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Heh, I was never much of an RPG player, Ocarina of time was probobly the last true RPG I played and truely enjoyed. As I already said Oblivion bored me to tears, but on the other hand I quite enjoyed STALKER even though it was a buggy mess.

When I bought Fallout 3 a friend (who would be one of them War Crack, JRPG types :p) was shocked that I of all people would play such a game. (I'm normally a fps player)

Fallout 3 may be dumbed down but maybe thats why it appeals more to me. As someone who's clueless about RPGs and the complexities of character micromanagement I find it quite intutative. The combat is piss easy alright.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

RichTea wrote: »
    I tried to buy this yesterday. Nowhere in town had it for the 360. Bought a jumper instead. The OP probably thinks I got a good deal out of this but what say the rest of ye?

Jumper or Fallout 3?

I got the special edition box set version for €35 in Gamestop before xmas for the 360. Not a hope in hell my current PC would run it. Oddly enough I can't find GTA IV anywhere here in Limerick, but I've seen plenty of Fallout around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Oblivion was far more impressive and had much more replay value.

Have to disagree with you there. A lot of Oblivion's environments looked the same and it was hard to distinguish one town from the last. Fallout 3's environments are more varied e.g. Rivet City, Megaton, Downtown Washington.

Bethseda fixed many of the problems in Oblivion e.g. you don't have to spend as much time navigating the game's menus or performing repitive tasks to level e.g. jumping up and down to increase your athletics skill.

The side quests are more varied and interesting in Fallout 3 eg Agatha's song, the bomb in Megaton. Admittedly there is less of them than in Oblivion but it's quality not quantity.
    There's over a 100 locations in the game anyway. It's still pretty big compared to any other game released in 2008.

The way Bethseda handled levelling in Fallout 3 is still better than how they approaced it in Oblivion. It was a bit silly in that game finding level 50 crabs or bandits with Mithrihil armour.

Fallout 3 does get easy towards the end but I am hoping the DLC will introduce new enemies and raise the player's and enemies level caps. And if you are finding it easy you can always crank up the difficulty level yourself.

It's far from perfect, there's lot of silly little bugs but it is most definately not a disappointment.

PS A jumper or Fallout 3? It is pretty cold at the moment. Perfect weather for staying in and playing Fallout 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

silvine wrote: »

PS A jumper or Fallout 3? It is pretty cold at the moment. Perfect weather for staying in and playing Fallout 3.

Oooooh good salesmanship. Jumper sellers beware! Business - down!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

RichTea wrote: »
    Oooooh good salesmanship. Jumper sellers beware! Business - down!

It'll get even worse when people start downloading them.

I'd go with Fallout 3 ahead of the jumper, can use it in the summer too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

MOH wrote: »
    It'll get even worse when people start downloading them.

Downloading jumpers???? Digital sheep then

Any idea when there will be a patch/update comming?
    for fallout3 mind and not a patch for jumpers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

this is one of the best games ever made.

i was never into oblivion at all , i dont really feel, its like oblivion with guns.
    i have put in a 100 hours into this games so far and am loving it. i have never played a game so much certainly value for money. its the game of 2008 hands down. gta comes no where near it. i havent played any other games since this came out besides a bit of that **** game cod5.

Roll on the DLC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Does anyone else want a mod that adds your own Highwayman automobile for Mad Max-style road battles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

I thought it was a good, but not great game. I would give it 8/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

just finished the game i loved it, ending kinda sucks.

Advertisement