Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Astra Battery Replacment - Advice

Options
  • 06-01-2009 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm going to replace an Opel Astra's battery this evening and just wondered if I will have issues with the radio in relation to codes and so on. Anyone know? It's the new shape Astra (2004).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

DaveBH wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm going to replace an Opel Astra's battery this evening and just wondered if I will have issues with the radio in relation to codes and so on. Anyone know? It's the new shape Astra (2004).

Thanks

I know you need the code on the older model...should be stapled to the inside of the service booklet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

The very first of the Astra H models still had radio codes. I think it was late 04(cant remember exactly when) they changed to having the radio programmed to the car. If yours has a radio code it will be printed on the car pass you recieved with the car. If you never got that or have lost it you can get the code from the opel dealer who originally sold it. If you still can get it, you can go into an opel dealer and the can get the radio code for you from opels online system but there is a charge of about €25 for this as opel charge the dealers every time they use this system so they will charge you the same.

If you are still stuck let me know and I will try help more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭DaveBH

Haven't had time to change the battery yet - will do it later today. It's the new Shape (Astra H) but it's early 2004 (when they effected the shape change) - so does that mean I'll need the code? I definitely don't have one for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Is the radio okay at the moment or is it locked ?

If it's working, then use a jumpstart battery pack to maintain 12V on the battery leads all the time as you change the battery and you won't have any problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭DaveBH

Took a chance and changed the battery tonight. Car was battery-less and completely without power for around 8-10 mins. Radio works fine with new battery installed! The only thing affected was the time/date which reset.

Now how can I safely dispose/recyle my old battery. Anywhere (Dublin South) I can bring it where I won't be charged?

• Advertisement
Advertisement