Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre Question

Options
  • 06-01-2009 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi Lads,bit of advice needed

Will be getting new tyres in the next few weeks for a 07 leon 1.9 sport,tyres size is 225/40/18 88y.This is the first time i've bought tyres for it.

Now first off,what is the best options for buying such tyres as they're quiet expensive.Do i go to the tyre fitter themselves or do i try find the best deal online(ie ebay,seems to be very good deals on there) or wherever and then just bring them to the shop to be fitted?

Secondly,what tyres manufacturers would be recommended,i currently have Dunlop Sport Maxx on but have read around and they seem to wear very quickly!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Try these two links. Prices are good and they list tyre fitters in your area that will fit them.

The dunlops tend to have a softer compound which can wear faster. have used goodyear f1's before found them good but again they are a softer tyre..

Keep reading reviews / or someone will be along to suggest options

http://www.eiretyres.com/

http://www.camskill.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭RAUL DUKE

Cheers mate:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Also have a look at seatcupra.net for some tyre suggestions. There's a specific Leon Mk2 forum there. A quick search of that will bring up loads of suggestions

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

What I definately say to you is shop around, I have 235/45 R17's and went looking for 2 in 2007, went to the Advance tyre place and rang around a few of the main places here, eventually I got prices:
    Federal - 160
    Bridgestone - 245
    Dunlop - 150
    Semperits -165
    Firestones - 205

At the time I was doing about 15k per year so I went for the Semperits.

This year I was talking to a mate who told me of a "backstreet" garage where he gets his tyres, I rang him and got a set of tyres off him for 85 a tyre. Now they are not a brand I heard of before but I only do about 8k miles a year anyway so how bad could they be!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭RAUL DUKE

I'd be kind of in the same boat as yourself,wouldnt be doin massive milage a year meself

these are the results i got from camskill for size i'm looking for

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s134p0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

yop wrote: »
    This year I was talking to a mate who told me of a "backstreet" garage where he gets his tyres, I rang him and got a set of tyres off him for 85 a tyre. Now they are not a brand I heard of before but I only do about 8k miles a year anyway so how bad could they be!

I'll tell ya how bad they could be - they could be death traps. I bought my car last year and it had fairly new tyres on it. They were the worst shyte I've ever come across. Ran with them for a while, but took them off after a few months despite plenty of tread left on them and it was a wise decision. Kings tyre. Pure muck. You'd be better off with bald pirelli's than brand new kings tyres.
    Don't spare your money on tyres. For the sake of a hundred or two, it's not worth it. They only need to save you once, and chances are you won't even know when they do.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

How did you find out they were bad Biro?? They are not King, Accelorator I think. I can check though if it makes any odds

Advertisement