Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Calling BMW - M Sport Owners

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭budweiserfrogie

What i could find was that removing them voids the warranty... I'll keep searching.

:)I talked to my local main dealer about taking off the terrible runflats only 1 month after purchasing my 2006 e60 520d m-sport.
    They agreed with me that it would really improve the comfort levels in my car and had no problem supplying the optional spare wheel kit to enable me to proceed.
    I took off the standard 245/40/18 runflats and fitted a set of same sized Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta. Great tyre. Very much noticeably improved comfort etc.
    They gave me a bumper to bumper 24 month warranty with my used car purchase and had no issues with me removing the runflats.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Anan1 wrote: »
    This brings me to a point I think most people don't get - if back-road hooliganism is your thing then you need a fair bit of suspension travel.
    Subaru, Mitsubishi etc have got it all wrong so !!
    Last Subaru I drove had more than enough, what Subaru/Mitsubishi do you think doesn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

:)I talked to my local main dealer about taking off the terrible runflats only 1 month after purchasing my 2006 e60 520d m-sport.
    They agreed with me that it would really improve the comfort levels in my car and had no problem supplying the optional spare wheel kit to enable me to proceed.
    I took off the standard 245/40/18 runflats and fitted a set of same sized Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta. Great tyre. Very much noticeably improved comfort etc.
    They gave me a bumper to bumper 24 month warranty with my used car purchase and had no issues with me removing the runflats.

I think I will give the fronts only a try as its a lot cheaper than the four - I will know pretty quick - although I am going to test drive something on Saturday that I might just go ahead with.

Thanks for all the info guys.
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I think I will give the fronts only a try as its a lot cheaper than the four - I will know pretty quick - although I am going to test drive something on Saturday that I might just go ahead with.

Rob

If it does/doesn't work you can always sell whatever tyres you're not using on ebay or adverts. The loss should be minimal this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Anan1 wrote: »
    Last Subaru I drove had more than enough, what Subaru/Mitsubishi do you think doesn't?

Your mixing up suspension compliance with suspension travel, Subarus and Mitsubishi Evo's have very little suspension travel if you jack one wheel on either of these cars it will most likely lift both wheel on that side of the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Your mixing up suspension compliance with suspension travel, Subarus and Mitsubishi Evo's have very little suspension travel if you jack one wheel on either of these cars it will most likely lift both wheel on that side of the car.

A friend used to have a 106 GTi that was so stiff that would lift a rear wheel off the ground if you parked one of the front wheels on a kerb, it wasn't an uncomfortable car however and a great backroads machine. In saying that it had the standard 15" wheels and tyres.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Rob

would deffo try that first, I know everyone is blaming the runflats but personally I think most of it is the suspension. A friend changed his 19s for std tyres and driving his and mine back to back there isn't much of a difference.

Possibly it isn't as noticeable on 19s though since there isn't much rubber. or maybe it would become noticeable as you live with them longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Jacking a car up doesn't tell you much about suspension travel, you need to compress rather than release the spring for that. Those cars will have enough suspension travel (given their stiffened springs/dampers) for very high speeds on relatively smooth roads. Taking a pothole or ramp at speed in one, however, is a different matter altogether. Anyway, this is all a bit OT, let's not get in the way of the MPack & RFT debate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭budweiserfrogie

It cost me €450 for my 4 tyres, or i could have had falcons for €400.
    The Spare kit cost me €250, and included a spacesaver spare wheel, jack, brace, wheel chocks & wheel insert to keep all the bits in place while stored in the standard spot under the carpet in the boot.
    All in, a lot more economical than €1100 it would cost in my local for a replacement set of runflats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

It cost me €450 for my 4 tyres, or i could have had falcons for €400.
    The Spare kit cost me €250, and included a spacesaver spare wheel, jack, brace, wheel chocks & wheel insert to keep all the bits in place while stored in the standard spot under the carpet in the boot.
    All in, a lot more economical than €1100 it would cost in my local for a replacement set of runflats.

I was going to go with a can of Gunk and a 12v compressor I have.

BTW, I was wise enough to go with the 17" rims - I can only imagine the ride on the 18's is totally cack !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Nevermind an alloy, I've checked for a cracked tooth with some of the potholes I've hit - 19" M sport wheels and RFTs.

My warranty is up in May and I'll be putting the same tyres on when they need replacing, just not RFs.

911s very much do crash and bang also, I drove a convertible Carrera a lot over the summer on 18" wheels and the ride was fairly hard too.

Advertisement