Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mystery Puddle In Car

• 06-01-2009 12:32pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,924 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a 2004 (MK2) Rover 45, and I was hoovering it the other day, lifted up the rear passenger seat base and saw that the sorta spongy lining underneath was wet. I lifted up the spongy stuff and there was nearly a puddle underneath!!

Now my first instinct was that there was a build up of water in the spare wheel well and it had seeped up through the lining stuff and gathered under the seat. However, I checked the wheel well and it was bone dry. There's actually a little drainage plug thing in it so if it does get full of water you can let it run out. So now I'm at a loss to explain what's going on, there's no other wet patches anywhere else in the car, even the other side of the back seats is dry, and it hasn't soaked up through the actual seats themselves.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this? If so what caused it and what can I do to stop it? I've dried the puddle, and have an old towel there in case it re-appears, but I'm worried it'll damage the car or make a smell!! Any advice will be much appreciated!! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

It's a leaking head gasket... :eek:

What? Well....it IS a rover, isn't it? :D

Sorry, can't be of much practical help to you. Might be worth having a check of all the seals around the doors, rear window (is it a hatchback?), and so on.

How much water are we talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Could it be the flexihose for the washer for the rear windscreen is cut somewhere and fluid is running down there instead of up onto the windscreen???

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,924 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Could it be the flexihose for the washer for the rear windscreen is cut somewhere and fluid is running down there instead of up onto the windscreen???

Hmmmm, that's a possibility alright. The flexihose does run under the seats. I must have a look and see. Cheers!
    Gil_Dub wrote: »
    It's a leaking head gasket... :eek:

What? Well....it IS a rover, isn't it? :D

Sorry, can't be of much practical help to you. Might be worth having a check of all the seals around the doors, rear window (is it a hatchback?), and so on.

How much water are we talking about?

LOL, well I had thought that I probably had the one Rover that's actually been behaving itself up to now *touches random wooden objects just in case* I've had a look at the seals, yes it is a hatchback, and they all seem fine. It's not a huge amount of water, I soaked it up with a few sheets of kitchen roll, maybe a few tablespoons if I were to measure it like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

That's a good call Darragh29 - You'd know you're in the trade instead of blind guessing like the rest of us! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    That's a good call Darragh29 - You'd know you're in the trade instead of blind guessing like the rest of us! ;)

Well it's the only place it can be coming from...

• Advertisement
Advertisement