Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1TB media player to your TV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Mine just arrived, no issues with VAT :), sticker on the outside declaring the value and also states UK import VAT prepaid. Wont have time till later to check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

pissed wrote: »
    Mine just arrived, no issues with VAT :), sticker on the outside declaring the value and also states UK import VAT prepaid. Wont have time till later to check it out.

Let us know how you get on. Looks like stock is back at 'plenty' so I might well order one over the next week or so.

Just connected this up, stuck a few movies on and it played them all no probs. As you scroll through the list of movies its gives a preview on a kind of split screen.

The whole drive is formatted as FAT32, tv recordings from sky or whatever go into a folder called "my recordings". I created a folder for the movies.

Have not sorted out the network connection yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

Just connected this up, stuck a few movies on and it played them all no probs. As you scroll through the list of movies its gives a preview on a kind of split screen.

The whole drive is formatted as FAT32, tv recordings from sky or whatever go into a folder called "my recordings". I created a folder for the movies.

Have not sorted out the network connection yet.

Out of stock again already - must be selling quickly alright.

How much space is set aside for recording from the TV/Sky and how much for putting your own Divx movies on? Just want to know if I need to reformat it it as soon as it arrives or not. I only want about 100gb max for recordings from the TV - most of the space will be for stored movie files.

Hope im explaining this right as im no expert, I go into computer management and the pvr shows as one drive 931GB formatted as FAT32. So from what I can see there is no set amount for each or can anyone explain how I would find out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Hope im explaining this right as im no expert, I go into computer management and the pvr shows as one drive 931GB formatted as FAT32. So from what I can see there is no set amount for each or can anyone explain how I would find out?

I'd imagine it's not partitioned so you are only limited by the 931GB formatted size.

They have a folder already on it called "my recordings" & then you created one for your movies so both folders are shared over the total size of 931GB.

It's down to whichever folder you fill first ;-)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭dingding

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I'm after getting an email from 7day shop saying that payment was declined because addresses didn't match. I don't want the items delivered to the address my card is registered to yet there's only one place to enter your address ie. you can't have different Personal/Delivery address :mad:

I think you can contact your credit card issuer and get a second delivery address noted on the account. It should be OK then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

what about this http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=104387 and other thing it says 1024GB (1TB) so i asume its full 1TB and price 119£

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

wasim21k wrote: »
    what about this http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=104387 and other thing it says 1024GB (1TB) so i asume its full 1TB and price 119£

It is 1TB but you never actually get that exact amount of space once formatted. You would more than likely end up with 931GB +

No HDMI either.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

That one has no network port on it, so you have to take it and plug it in to the pc every time you wanna access the files.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

would be very interested in seeing if folks can move/edit he partition on these. or do you need to ?

Is there a setup to do where the % recording space is set ?

K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

It sounds like the firmware has had the same upgrade as the Emprex ME1 which allows you to have just the one partition, so no need to worry about specifying the % of space to leave for recordings.

karltimber wrote: »
    would be very interested in seeing if folks can move/edit he partition on these. or do you need to ?

Is there a setup to do where the % recording space is set ?

K

Hasn't pissed confirmed that it's just one FAT32 partition?

This is just a HDD and media player - i.e. you can't record from the TV with it.

Thanks. Yeah that sounds good - one big folder for everything - perfect! Is it true that with a FAT32 drive, the biggest single file size allowed is 4gb? Why do all the media players seem to use FAT32 rather than NTFS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Guys can I ask who 7DayShop use to deliver their parcels in Ireland? They'll only deliver to cardholders address and I KNOW there'll be no one there to sign for it.

If it's with An Post no problem I can just collect it from the local mail centre. If it's TNT/DHL though it's nothing but a pain in the hole; don't know if I can be bothered with the stress of having to ring around etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Talisman

Every order I have placed with 7dayshop has always been delivered through regular post.

Guys can I ask who 7DayShop use to deliver their parcels in Ireland? They'll only deliver to cardholders address and I KNOW there'll be no one there to sign for it.

If it's with An Post no problem I can just collect it from the local mail centre. If it's TNT/DHL though it's nothing but a pain in the hole; don't know if I can be bothered with the stress of having to ring around etc.

Mail from 7dayshop stated they use Airsure and supplied me with a tracking number. Parcel was delivered by my regular postie from An Post.

Thanks. Yeah that sounds good - one big folder for everything - perfect! Is it true that with a FAT32 drive, the biggest single file size allowed is 4gb?

If thats the case then how do you get around sticking DVD,s on to it as they would be bigger than the 4GB size?.... Not that I would be sticking them on anyway as I mainly bought it for my avi's

If thats the case then how do you get around sticking DVD,s on to it as they would be bigger than the 4GB size?.... Not that I would be sticking them on anyway as I mainly bought it for my avi's

I'd guess that you would have to covert them to another format that takes up less space (using your PC/laptop) and then copy the smaller file to the So Speaky media player.

From Wikipedia:
    The maximum possible size for a file on a FAT32 volume is 4 GiB minus 1 byte (232−1 bytes). Video applications, large databases, and some other software easily exceed this limit. Larger files require another formatting type such as HFS+ or NTFS.
    FAT is still the normal file system for removable media (with the exception of CDs and DVDs), with FAT12 used on floppies, and FAT16 on most other removable media (such as flash memory cards for digital cameras and USB flash drives). Most removable media are not yet large enough to benefit from FAT32, although some larger flash drives, like SDHC, do make use of it. FAT16 is used on these drives for reasons of compatibility and size overhead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Either reformat the drive to NTFS, or split the media into parts.

Think I will just leave it as is, probably easier to just convert them as Tester46 said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

At the risk of a slap, has anybody tried MKV's ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭podge3

Mine arrived today - no VAT/customs :)

Initial impressions are very good. It seems well put together and the user menu is good. It seems to allow you to partition the drive into 2 as you can change the % allocation between NTFS and FAT. It comes out of the box with 50/50 NTFS/FAT. I'll read the manual :D and probably reformat the whole thing into NTFS later on.

It connected to my network without a problem and I have played one DIVX file so far.

Only complaints so far is the fan is a bit noisy and there is a rattle from the box. Its probably the hard drive is a bit lose.

They must be using different batches then as all of mine was formatted FAT32. When I went to the format option there was no % just the option to confirm format or did you get the % after you confirmed?

Good news re the VAT :)

podge3 wrote: »
    Mine arrived today - no VAT/customs :)

No extra VAT is good :)
    podge3 wrote:
    Initial impressions are very good. It seems well put together and the user menu is good. It seems to allow you to partition the drive into 2 as you can change the % allocation between NTFS and FAT. It comes out of the box with 50/50 NTFS/FAT. I'll read the manual :D and probably reformat the whole thing into NTFS later on.
    Dammit - Piseed said it was just one partition - all FAT 32.
    Pissed wrote:
    You are saying it's 50:50 between the two - which is it? I would guess that if you format it all as NTFS, then the software won't record onto the NTFS drivce, just a FAT32 drive - so you lose the ability to record from TV.

They must be using different batches then as all of mine was formatted FAT32. When I went to the format option there was no % just the option to confirm format or did you get the % after you confirmed?

Good news re the VAT :)
    Good news indeed about the VAT ;)

I get the option for % format in step 3 of the formatting process.

Just to check.
    System - scroll to hdd format - click ok - then I have two options which are hdd format or cancel. The % comes in after you select the hdd format again?

Mine definately came as just FAT32.

Just to check.
    System - scroll to hdd format - click ok - then I have two options which are hdd format or cancel. The % comes in after you select the hdd format again?
    I think thats it. Try it and see what options you get.

I re-formated mine as 66/33 FAT/NTFS just to try it. I then plugged it in to my PC via USB and it shows up as 2 drives 650 Nb FAT and 280 NTFS.

I think thats it. Try it and see what options you get.

I re-formated mine as 66/33 FAT/NTFS just to try it. I then plugged it in to my PC via USB and it shows up as 2 drives 650 Nb FAT and 280 NTFS.

But was it 50% FAT32 and 50% NTFS before you re-formatted it? Or was it 100% FAT32 before you reformatted it?

I recall reading somewhere that with these PVRs, the partition that holds recordings from the TV is FAT32. The NTFS partition can be used to store your own video files. If that is the case, would it not be better to leave the entire drive as one partition i.e. 100% FAT32 and you can mix and match as you like? It's a rare DIVX file that exceeds 4gb anyway (I don't have a HD TV yet).

• Advertisement

Tester46 wrote: »
    But was it 50% FAT32 and 50% NTFS before you re-formatted it? Or was it 100% FAT32 before you reformatted it?
    It seemed like it was 50:50 but TBH I didn't check. When you get to the format menu there is a slider to set the FAT/NTFS ratio. The default is 50:50 but IIRC the minimum of either is 10%

I recall reading somewhere that with these PVRs, the partition that holds recordings from the TV is FAT32. The NTFS partition can be used to store your own video files. If that is the case, would it not be better to leave the entire drive as one partition i.e. 100% FAT32 and you can mix and match as you like? It's a rare DIVX file that exceeds 4gb anyway (I don't have a HD TV yet).
    I think you are correct about PVRs and recording TV on FAT32. Isn't the Emprex the same?

I'm going to download the manual as there is nothing on the disc or in the box - apart from a quick start guide. RTFM as they say :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Can anyone recommend another UK outlet to buy this that's close price-wise, that I could also pick up a passport USB hard-drive too?

7DayShop simply don't want to take my payment, even after changing delivery address to cardholder address they still decline - They said something about faxing them a statment proving I currently live there. Fcuk that, i'm 90 miles away from home and can't be bothered with the hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

If that is the case, would it not be better to leave the entire drive as one partition i.e. 100% FAT32 and you can mix and match as you like? It's a rare DIVX file that exceeds 4gb anyway (I don't have a HD TV yet).

the device says it supports 1080p mpeg4 (presumably avc) these files can be up to 20gigs or more in size

it also supports mpeg ts which can be up to 50 gigs or more

John, the only other place I could find on the net selling them was creativesupplies. Their shipping to Ireland is £15. They only had the 500gb version when I rang them but stated they were waiting to get the 1TB model in stock.

http://creativesupplies.co.uk/shop/index.php?searchStr=so+speaky+pvr&_a=viewCat

I'm going to download the manual as there is nothing on the disc or in the box - apart from a quick start guide. RTFM as they say

The manual in on the hard drive itself :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

Is their a way of checking the firmware versions to see if you guys have the same version - would explain why some of you have two partitions and others do not.

As far as DVD's go, you'll find that DVD's consist of a number of vobs typically 1 GB or smaller. As long as a DVD's vobs are in the same folder, you should be able to play the copy of the DVD without having to go into the folder to play each individual vob. ie the 4 GB limit on file size shouldn't matter for DVDs.

With regard to MKVs, I don't think any of the media players based on the rtd1261/2 chipsets play this format, but I could be wrong about that.

Is their a way of checking the firmware versions to see if you guys have the same version - would explain why some of you have two partitions and others do not.

Yes you can click on video in, press enter, then stop, then pause.
    The firmware is displayed then.
    Mine is Rev Ver_1.00_080826

I was also able to record to a usb memory stick as you can specify where you want to record in the settings. So as mentioned earlier in one of the posts if you were to buy a 16GB usb stick and just use that for tv recordings and if possible format the whole drive for ntfs.

With regards to the MKV's I tried one earlier and no joy.

Lads

Should we perhaps start a thread over in Home Entertainment about this gizmo? We'll have the Mods down on us for discussing technical matters here ;)

2 problems I'm having:
    • I can't add it as a network drive - I can transfer files from my PC to it but only from the Sospeaky end :(
    • I can't access my network drive from it. It sees the drive but then looks for a password. There is no password on my network drive?? :(:(

The manual in on the hard drive itself :D
    Just found that :)
    Yes you can click on video in, press enter, then stop, then pause.
    I'll try that in a while and get back to you. I'm currently coping all my video files over my Homeplg network.

I had that problem with the sharing too but got it in the end.
    If you go to the folder you are sharing and right click and click share, then click change sharing permissions. Then click network and sharing. On the list you will see password protected sharing. I would imagine that its turned on. Just turn that to off and you should be ok. Thats how its done in vista anyway. Hope that helps.

I had that problem with the sharing too but got it in the end.
    If you go to the folder you are sharing and right click and click share, then click change sharing permissions. Then click network and sharing. On the list you will see password protected sharing. I would imagine that its turned on. Just turn that to off and you should be ok. Thats how its done in vista anyway. Hope that helps.
    Was that for a computer folder or a network drive?

• Advertisement

Sorry i was on about the folder I was sharing on the computer. So I was able to go to browser on the pvr, then to network and access the shared folder on the computer.

Sorry i was on about the folder I was sharing on the computer. So I was able to go to browser on the pvr, then to network and access the shared folder on the computer.
    yes, thats the only way that I can do it also. Pity :(

Mine is Rev Ver_1.30_10_lang_081030. That would explain the differences.

Mine is Rev Ver_1.30_10_lang_081030. That would explain the differences.

So, you have a more up to date firmware? But is the drive still partitioned? Basically, I want to have about 90% of the drive for my own movie files and 10% for recording from the TV (I might want to record the odd movie - 2 hours).

Does 10% sound like it is enough? What format does it record from TV on and how much space would an average movie take? I presume I can then copy the recorded movie into the NTFS partition and free upspace in the FAT32 partition for more recording?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Lads

Should we perhaps start a thread over in Home Entertainment about this gizmo? We'll have the Mods down on us for discussing technical matters here ;)

speicifc forum for media centres -
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=643

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 borjabbv

Does anybody knows how to access from pc to disk without usb port but ethernet
    With ethernet only I can see my pc from the disk but I can't see the disk from my pc

Any idea?

• Advertisement

borjabbv wrote: »
    Does anybody knows how to access from pc to disk without usb port but ethernet
    With ethernet only I can see my pc from the disk but I can't see the disk from my pc

Any idea?
    I don't think its NAS and it can't seem to access another NAS drive on the network :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Friend got this and its awful in terms of navigating through films, really sllllllloooooooooooooooooow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Hi guys

I'm keen on picking up one of the Dane-Elec So Speaky PVRs - can I just check how does it record from your Sky Box - Is it just a case of recording something as you watch, or can you select something from Sky plus, record that and watch something else?

Also I presume it will also connect up to a Sky HD box aswell?

Cheers

Trilla wrote: »
    Friend got this and its awful in terms of navigating through films, really sllllllloooooooooooooooooow
    :confused: I find it very fast - once you get to the folder where the films are, you can flick through them as fast as you can press the up/down button.

TheBazman wrote: »
    I'm keen on picking up one of the Dane-Elec So Speaky PVRs - can I just check how does it record from your Sky Box - Is it just a case of recording something as you watch, or can you select something from Sky plus, record that and watch something else?

Also I presume it will also connect up to a Sky HD box aswell?
    I don't have it connected to Sky but I don't think you can watch one channel and record something else. You can pause live TV, though.

The unit only records in SD so no point in connecting to a HD box really - unless you want to record a HD program in SD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

:

I don't have it connected to Sky but I don't think you can watch one channel and record something else. You can pause live TV, though.

The unit only records in SD so no point in connecting to a HD box really - unless you want to record a HD program in SD.

Cheers - I'm not worried about recording in HD, SD will be fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement