Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1TB media player to your TV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

Trilla wrote: »
    Friend got this and its awful in terms of navigating through films, really sllllllloooooooooooooooooow

Not true - navigation is just fine on my one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Does this Dane-Elec So Speaky PVR have an actual hard drive or do you have to connect up a separate one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭podge3

TheBazman wrote: »
    Does this Dane-Elec So Speaky PVR have an actual hard drive or do you have to connect up a separate one?
    Comes with a 1Tb.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭MonsterMob

ordered my tuesday and arrived just there. its down the country as my credit card still gets billed to my folks place so will have to wait till the weekend to get it, looking forward to it all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Tester46 wrote: »
    Not true - navigation is just fine on my one

Strange,

we're talking about a screen which shows 4 films per screen, and takes forever to get to the next screen? Maybe there is another screen to nav but he said there wasnt...and I didnt bother playing around with it

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

Trilla wrote: »
    Strange,

we're talking about a screen which shows 4 films per screen, and takes forever to get to the next screen? Maybe there is another screen to nav but he said there wasnt...and I didnt bother playing around with it

Maybe you're talking about a screen that shows four films - I'm not!

I have one of these and you can scroll up and down the list with ease - it even shows a preview of the movie on the right, which loads instantaneously. But the preview doesn't slow it down - you can still scroll through the list. It's not windows explorer, but it's fine for finding the movie you want to watch.

Thanks guys - going to order one of these. Just reading the manual - their graphics are great but their translation to English leaves a lot to be desired
    "Turn on the So Speaky PVR and select video in after enter the men. The TV program displays on screen and is ready to recording."

Just discovered that this device uses some of the same IR codes as a Mirai TV :mad:. Rather frustrating but at least the Mirai isn't my main TV.

Hi guys

Sry to bring this thread back up but have any of you guys that purchased the so-speaky pvr managed to record from a sky box onto it? This is the main reason I bought it however it seems that there is no s-video out at the back of either of my sky boxes. It appears I am going to have to invest in some other kind of cable to let me do this

Cheers

Hi guys

Sry to bring this thread back up but have any of you guys that purchased the so-speaky pvr managed to record from a sky box onto it? This is the main reason I bought it however it seems that there is no s-video out at the back of either of my sky boxes. It appears I am going to have to invest in some other kind of cable to let me do this

Cheers
    The So-speaky doesn't use S-video, it uses composite.

I have recorded from my Chorus digital box with the enclosed scart cable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

podge3 wrote: »

Ew. Cant imagine what those playbacks would look like on my Bravia 46x!

consultech wrote: »
    Ew. Cant imagine what those playbacks would look like on my Bravia 46x!
    They look pretty good on my 46" Aquos :P ;).

Hi sry I explained it poorly

The two leads enclosed for playback are the component (red, blue and green) and the other not sure what it is called but its red, white and yellow. That is fine for playback but to record which it does only in SD I need to connect another red, white and yellow for the video input of the So-speaky to the red white and yellow video output at the back of the Sky box. Problem is the back of the sky box only has a red and white (audio) output and no yellow. It only has a strange other socket called S-video. I'm confussled :confused:

ok here is the rear of the sky box

1616wh.jpg

as you can see to the left of the two scarts there are the red and white audio out and the S-video socket

This is the rear of the so speaky box

2ij3sw3.jpg

and the two need to be connected with

33w9i6v.jpg

Hi sry I explained it poorly

The two leads enclosed for playback are the component (red, blue and green) and the other not sure what it is called but its red, white and yellow. That is fine for playback but to record which it does only in SD I need to connect another red, white and yellow for the video input of the So-speaky to the red white and yellow video output at the back of the Sky box. Problem is the back of the sky box only has a red and white (audio) output and no yellow. It only has a strange other socket called S-video. I'm confussled :confused:
    Did you not get a scart to composite+audio in the So-speaky kit?

Plug the scart into the Sky box and the phonos at the other end into the So-speaky.

Did you not get a scart to composite+audio in the So-speaky kit?

Plug the scart into the Sky box and the phonos at the other end into the So-speaky.

No didnt get that, and in fairness it doesnt say in the contents that I should get that. I can pick up one of those if it works altho I thought I read somewhere that using a scart would reduce the quality significantly

I think something like this should work

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=105633

I wonder why you didn't get that scart lead :confused:

Anyhoo, no point in getting an s-video adaptor as you can only record on composite, which is what you will get from the scart connectors at the back of the sky box.

I wonder why you didn't get that scart lead :confused:

Anyhoo, no point in getting an s-video adaptor as you can only record on composite, which is what you will get from the scart connectors at the back of the sky box.

Cheers for the help so far

It doesnt say it on the contents that I should have got that scart lead so I must be able to get it working with what I have. Anyway when you say there is no point getting an s-video adaptor do you mean no point in getting the "Adapter SCART - S-Video + 3*RCA" that I linked above? If so do you have any idea what I do need to get to get this thing recording?

• Advertisement

From the pics you posted, you cannot record from your Sky box with the cables you have.

The best way to record from the Sky box would be component video followed by S-video. But your So-speaky can only record on composite so it doesn't really matter that the Sky box can output a higher quality analog signal.

What you need is a scart to composite + audio cable. Make sure that the cable is an output cable as most break-out scart cables are input only i.e. they are meant to input a signal to a tv set or VCR etc. You need an output cable.

Alternatively you could buy something like this. Its switchable so you can use it for either in or out. Ignore the s-video on the adaptor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Fergster

MMM!!!

Any of these left. Gotta Have one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭rosullivan

Alternatively you could buy something like this. Its switchable so you can use it for either in or our. Ignore the s-video on the adaptor.

Just ordered one of these - thanks!

From the pics you posted, you cannot record from your Sky box with the cables you have.

The best way to record from the Sky box would be component video followed by S-video. But your So-speaky can only record on composite so it doesn't really matter that the Sky box can output a higher quality analog signal.

What you need is a scart to composite + audio cable. Make sure that the cable is an output cable as most break-out scart cables are input only i.e. they are meant to input a signal to a tv set or VCR etc. You need an output cable.

Alternatively you could buy something like this. Its switchable so you can use it for either in or out. Ignore the s-video on the adaptor.

Cheers Podge for your help - I have just ordered one of those

Does anyone know how long it takes for the So Speaky to arrive in the post from 7dayshop? Thanks

MM

About 3 or 4 days IIRC.

• Advertisement

Cheers Podge, just one quick other question. Did it come by courier or standard post. It's getting delivery to my home address down the country and i'm up in dublin. It's just neither of the parents are at home to sign for it if it's courier. I can get a friend to swing by in the evenings and pick it up and hold onto it if it's just drop at the door by standard post. Cheers again.

MM

MonsterMob wrote: »
    Cheers Podge, just one quick other question. Did it come by courier or standard post. It's getting delivery to my home address down the country and i'm up in dublin. It's just neither of the parents are at home to sign for it if it's courier. I can get a friend to swing by in the evenings and pick it up and hold onto it if it's just drop at the door by standard post. Cheers again.

MM
    I think it was standard post but had to be signed for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Could someone comment on the software? I have some questions left:

Can you schedule your TV recordings? Does it have software to create a library of your videos?

From how far can you control the device with the remote? I need 7 meters.

Did it play anything you threw at it? Will it display subtitles (.sub an .srt)

Thanks a lot!

Hey guys,

Has anyone experienced any problems with their so-speaky? My seemed to by very slow when I first turned it on in terms of scrolling across the browser. Also when I went to play one of the films I had on it it froze. This happened a few times last night and then I just turned it off. Haven't been able to play anything opn it at all. Was I just unlucky to get a faulty one? Cheers.

MM

Hey guys,

Has anyone experienced any problems with their so-speaky? My seemed to by very slow when I first turned it on in terms of scrolling across the browser. Also when I went to play one of the films I had on it it froze. This happened a few times last night and then I just turned it off. Haven't been able to play anything opn it at all. Was I just unlucky to get a faulty one? Cheers.

MM

Mine seemed a bit slow first or second time I used it but it seems quicker now - I think a lot of it may be due to not knowing the correct way to navigate through the menus - I'm happy enough with the speed now. As regards the freezing of the system - this happened to me a couple of times but it was on the same file so I reckon it didnt like the file type/codec

• Advertisement

Thanks Bazman. The screen though was freezing up and then coming back after a period of a few seconds when I was scrolling and then it totally froze up when I tried to play one of the films. Maybe it was just that particular film as I didn't try to play any other ones to be honest. I'll have another look tonight. Cheers again though.

MM

Thanks Bazman. The screen though was freezing up and then coming back after a period of a few seconds when I was scrolling and then it totally froze up when I tried to play one of the films. Maybe it was just that particular film as I didn't try to play any other ones to be honest. I'll have another look tonight. Cheers again though.

MM

Try a .vob file if you have one under 4gig - they will deffo play and are the best quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

rco2000 wrote: »

No HDMI
    No network connection
    No recording

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I'm after getting an email from 7day shop saying that payment was declined because addresses didn't match. I don't want the items delivered to the address my card is registered to yet there's only one place to enter your address ie. you can't have different Personal/Delivery address :mad:
    sAME THING HAPPENED TO ME EARLIER WITH 7DAYSHOP - NOT IMPRESSED.
    :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

rco2000 wrote: »
    sAME THING HAPPENED TO ME EARLIER WITH 7DAYSHOP - NOT IMPRESSED.
    :mad:

Just send them a utility bill.

I'm disappointed with 7DayShop - they send me a used item.

Well, used in the sense that a screw had some loose from the HDD so it was flapping about the place, the cover had obviously been opened because the "Warranty Void if seal broken" seal WAS broken and the front fascia is all scratched.

I emailed 7DayShop and they said to return it for replacement. Just a sickener that such a thing could happen - and i've to pay the postage to send it back

My so speaky doesn't play mp4 videos even though it says it does? as well as freezing completely when it scrolls over certain files. I also reckon it has been preused since the screen has been scratched... anyone with similar problems? ptreey pissed off with 7dayshop

MM

See my above post!

Does anyone know if it's possible to turn off the 'preview screen' when browsing through files? I can't help but feel it's slowing the browsing process down, and it also means that I can't read the full filename as the preview screen takes up most the screen, leaving only a small space for the filenames

alright John,

have mine here in work beside me. just about to pop down to the post office to send it back. looking at the front of mine it has definitely been used before. have you sent yours off yet? did it take long to hear back from them?

alright John,

have mine here in work beside me. just about to pop down to the post office to send it back. looking at the front of mine it has definitely been used before. have you sent yours off yet? did it take long to hear back from them?

I got lazy and haven't gotten round to sending it back yet

It works perfectly and I wanna watch some movies first :)

• Advertisement

I got mine today, haven't seen it yet.
    Don't care about being used as long as it plays HD material and most movie formats.

Will post my findings here.

My so speaky doesn't play mp4 videos even though it says it does? as well as freezing completely when it scrolls over certain files. I also reckon it has been preused since the screen has been scratched... anyone with similar problems? ptreey pissed off with 7dayshop

MM

It says it plays MPEG4 which I presume is the codec and may be different to mp4 (altho' I'm far far from an expert on this). I tried a lot of different file formats and tbh the most satisfactory is just to use either the original vob files, or if they are larger than 4gb just use Super to convert them to slightly smaller vobs. I have also recorded quite a bit off Sky plus with it and it does the trick - very happy with it.

cheers bazman,

The fact that it is constantly freezing it the most annoying thing for me. that aalone is the biggest factor that I'm sending it back. I've noticed that some of my avi files aren't working either but it seems I can play them no prob on the pc.

Got it setup.

The good:
    Much better video quality than my X-Box XBMC, easy navigation + setup.
    It records.

The bad:
    It doesn't play mkv, h264, and most mp4's.

Overall I am a bit disappointed but the price just makes it justifiable.

For some reason I have the impression the hardware can handle mp4. Let's hope we see some firmware update in the future.

Wcool wrote: »
    Got it setup.

The good:
    Much better video quality than my X-Box XBMC, easy navigation + setup.
    It records.

The bad:

Overall I am a bit disappointed but the price just makes it justifiable.

For some reason I have the impression the hardware can handle mp4. Let's hope we see some firmware update in the future.

Feck, just downloaded a .mkv earlier!

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Feck, just downloaded a .mkv earlier!

Just blast it through Super to convert it to something compatable

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Wcool wrote: »
    Got it setup.
    The bad:

Can you expand on this and give a bit of info.
    My friends WD plays mkv's just fine.
    Use MediaRaw to show the type of mkv you are playing -and post here.

It should play them. D/l an mkv music vid from Vuse and see if that works.

This is NOT the Western Digital player, this is the Dane-Elec So Speaky PVR.

Here are is some info from files I couldn't play:

File 1 .MP4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Nero Digital AVC Standard Profile
    Codec ID : ndxs
    File size : 1.56 GiB
    Format : AVC
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 2 000 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 7 636 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 392 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16/9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Resolution : 24 bits
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.296
    Format : AAC
    Format settings, SBR : Yes
    Format settings, PS : No
    Bit rate : 129 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 169 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Resolution : 16 bits
    Format : VobSub
    Codec ID : subp
    Codec ID/Info : The same subtitle format used on DVDs
    Bit rate : 3 976 bps

File2 .MP4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media
    Codec ID : isom
    File size : 380 MiB
    Overall bit rate : 902 Kbps
    Codec ID : avc1
    Bit rate : 769 Kbps
    Width : 368 pixels
    Height : 208 pixels
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.335
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format version : Version 4
    Bit rate : 128 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : L R
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Resolution : 16 bits

File3 .MKV
    Format : Matroska
    Overall bit rate : 3 431 Kbps
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Duration : 45mn 33s
    Bit rate : 2 902 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate : 3 043 Kbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.131
    Writing library : x264 core 65 r1037tw
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Codec ID : A_AC3
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 384 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz

Basically it does not play any MKV and haven't come across any valid .mp4 either.
    It played all xvid and divx sofar, even DVD's that I ripped to .ISO images.
    No .bin/.cue media files

What can I say, I like the recording and the quality of the video. Menu's are basic but functional. But unfortunately I still can not play any HD material.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

sorry wcool

just jumped to the last page and thought it was the WD one you were talking about.

K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

My WD plays everything incl MKV and in HD. Fab sound, even connected it to my Denon HIFI.

Maybe is should be renamed so squeaky !

Advertisement