Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1TB media player to your TV

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

My WD plays everything incl MKV and in HD. Fab sound, even connected it to my Denon HIFI.

Maybe is should be renamed so squeaky !

Yep, cheaper too, but it doesn't connect to your LAN (=messing around with disks/sticks) and it does not record TV.
    So Squeaky is a great name though! :)

I sent an email to Dane-Elec, asking them for firmware updates, but I am not holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

I don't record TV any more. I download any shows I miss and stick them on the hard drive. Most shows I download are in HD format as well.
    The ad breaks have been removed as well so nice an clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

TheBazman wrote: »
    Just blast it through Super to convert it to something compatable

Been using 7dayshop for about 5 years now and always happy with what I got. Got one of these Speakeasys about 2 weeks ago. Happy enough with it so far though havent got round to using all the features yet.

Whats the deal with converting mp4 to avi/divx? Super .... ??? I was sure this machine played mp4s as well but so far I havent got one working so a bit disapointed with that.

Are people having trouble playing HD material on it? Still to try it out on mine..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Spacecandi

Hi, newbie non-techie. I've been following this thread and now really want to buy the speaky hd recorder 500gb that you all rushed out and bought. At first I was worried I wouldn't manage to set it up but I've found someone to do it for me now. However my friend reckons this won't be able to record from a non-digital tv. I bought a freeview box today but my arial isn't good enough to get more than 2 channels. Can u guys suggest what I can do to get this super looking gadget fully functional with just a big standard tv please?

What are 7daystore.com like with returns if it doesn't work on my system?

There is also a very similar item in maplins 500gb for £120 by emprex.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

for those just looking for a player .. peats have just reduced the price of their iomega 500GB HD screenplay to €121 in the shop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

zod wrote: »
    for those just looking for a player .. peats have just reduced the price of their iomega 500GB HD screenplay pro to €121 in the shop

Are you sure of that price zod, it seems a huge slice off their online price of 179, might be the non pro version?

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?type=product&id=25336

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Are you sure of that price zod, it seems a huge slice off their online price of 179, might be the non pro version?

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?type=product&id=25336

Your right its the non pro version :o

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=23108&sid=14&cid=116&scid=305

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Have a look at this page on alternative firmwares

http://techreport.com/articles.x/16565
    Wcool wrote: »
    Yep, cheaper too, but it doesn't connect to your LAN (=messing around with disks/sticks) and it does not record TV.
    So Squeaky is a great name though! :)

I sent an email to Dane-Elec, asking them for firmware updates, but I am not holding my breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

There is a firmware update on the Dane-Elec site. Link below.

http://www.danedigital.com/4-SO-Hard-Disk-Drives/6-so-speaky-pvr.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭banchang

Can someone in simple terms explain the difference between the OP Iomega

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/iomega/145/marque.ehtml

& the So Speaky

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_5&products_id=105082

Reading thru the thread, I would like something with wifi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Can anyone confirm whether or not MKV files will play on the So Speaky??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭madmoe

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm whether or not MKV files will play on the So Speaky??

I was wondering that too as most of the HD movies I have are .MKV files.

Also, how long is the 1TB So Speaky out? If I buy one soon is there any chance of a 2TB coming out anytime soon?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭banchang

banchang wrote: »

& the So Speaky

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_5&products_id=105082

Reading thru the thread, I would like something with wifi

Anyone ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭podge3

banchang wrote: »

Linky no worky ;)

Does the Iomega play .MKV files does anyone know?

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

madmoe wrote: »

M

I really don't know, but THIS certainly does & it can handle 2x external drives.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

madmoe wrote: »

M

Fraid not. No MKV or H.264 support listed. 1080i is the highest resolution.

I really don't know, but THIS certainly does & it can handle 2x external drives.

-

Seen this today in PC World in Jervis for €129.99!!

Maybe this is the way to go when you combine it with a Western Digital Elements 1TB for €119.99 (PC World price again). That would be a total of €249.98 if bought from PC World......has anyone gone down this road?

I suppose the good thing about the Western Digital option is that once you fill up the first 1TB drive you can pop out and buy a bigger one.....

Edit: Looking at this in more detail it seems to be optimized for the WD Passport™ Essential Drives which only go up to 500 GB max.....I guess I could still use a 1TB Western Digital Elements through one of the USB ports??
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭losttheplot

Not sure if I should post this here or in consumer issues..

Any way after reading about this item in various posts I decided to buy one (£168 incl del) as it seemed to offer just what I needed. It arrived in 3 days but unfortunately, they sent me what appears to be a used item.

It had some things loose from the HDD bobbling and rattling about inside and the cover had obviously been opened because the "Warranty Void if seal broken" seal was broken and the front fascia is streaked and scuffed.

Has anyone had problems with this item or ever had to return this or any other item to 7dayshop? I was wondering how their return process and refund of postage costs works out.

Any advice greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Losttheplot

• Advertisement

Not sure if I should post this here or in consumer issues..

Any way after reading about this item in various posts I decided to buy one (£168 incl del) as it seemed to offer just what I needed. It arrived in 3 days but unfortunately, they sent me what appears to be a used item.

It had some things loose from the HDD bobbling and rattling about inside and the cover had obviously been opened because the "Warranty Void if seal broken" seal was broken and the front fascia is streaked and scuffed.

Has anyone had problems with this item or ever had to return this or any other item to 7dayshop? I was wondering how their return process and refund of postage costs works out.

Any advice greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Losttheplot
    My unit was exactly the same when I got it. I sent them an email and they got back to me promptly enough and told me to return it via their freepost address.

I don't know if a UK/Jersey freepost address will work here, though. In the end I decided to keep mine. I think it was actually new but the harddrive may have been changed or something. I opened it up and tightened the loose drive.

7dayshop said they had taken a note of the fact that the warranty sticker was broken and that I shouldn't have a problem with the warranty if I need to return it. Hopefully I won't need to find out if they are as good as their word :).

That was several months ago and it working fine since.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭losttheplot

podge3 wrote: »
    My unit was exactly the same when I got it. I sent them an email and they got back to me promptly enough and told me to return it via their freepost address.

I don't know if a UK/Jersey freepost address will work here, though. In the end I decided to keep mine. I think it was actually new but the harddrive may have been changed or something. I opened it up and tightened the loose drive.

7dayshop said they had taken a note of the fact that the warranty sticker was broken and that I shouldn't have a problem with the warranty if I need to return it. Hopefully I won't need to find out if they are as good as their word :).

That was several months ago and it working fine since.

That's interesting to know. I thought about opening it up as well - it sounds though like there is a lot more loose than just the drive.

Was it tricky to open or just a case of removing the two external screws and pulling the back part out?confused.gif Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Can you connect these drives up to a desktop screen???

ill get one if ya can cause it will make working nights alot more bearable!!

Was it tricky to open or just a case of removing the two external screws and pulling the back part out?confused.gif Thanks
    I honestly can't remember but IIRC it was quite easy to open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭gnolan

Sorry to drag up this old thread, but is the Dane-Elec So Speaky 1TB PVR still the way to go for a Multimedia Hard Drive? I've noticed it's reduced again on 7dayshop. http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_5&products_id=105082

Looking to get one for Christmas and hoping people who purchased it can tell me if they have encountered any problems with the product, or indeed with 7dayshop. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

Sorry to drag up this old thread, but is the Dane-Elec So Speaky 1TB PVR still the way to go for a Multimedia Hard Drive? I've noticed it's reduced again on 7dayshop. http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=105082

Looking to get one for Christmas and hoping people who purchased it can tell me if they have encountered any problems with the product, or indeed with 7dayshop. Thanks

looks like a great deal. trying to figure out if it plays .MKV files though. im going to buy a media player for the parents for christmas. :D

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

inode wrote: »
    looks like a great deal. trying to figure out if it plays .MKV files though. im going to buy a media player for the parents for christmas. :D

According to this thread it plays neither mkv or mp4 files.

It is a pity there aqre not more players out there that can record as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I've never tried MKV or MP4 files, but I can say that I love this player, very handy! My mates love snatching it too though because i've to many movies on it!

5starpool wrote: »
    According to this thread it plays neither mkv or mp4 files.

It is a pity there aqre not more players out there that can record as well.

From reading the manual, it seems you can "only" record from set-top boxes. I know this may not be a big deal for some people but it might put me off a bit, if i wanted to record from an aerial feed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

What connections does it have? i want one for my sister for christmas but she doesn't have a HDTV so no hdmi in sight. also, are 7 Day Shop ok to deal with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Have had this player for a good few months now. Overall I am pretty happy with it. It doesnt play MP4. I don't know about MKV.

Browsing for movies can be slow when you have a lot saved on it. As it plays a preview of the file when you are searching which slows it down a good tip is to store your movies in individual folders so it wont do this.

The one I ordered developed a problem with the video output. I returned it with no fuss via freepost to 7DayShop. Been shopping off them since 2003 and never had any issues whatsoever.

HDMI connection is handy too. It will connect to TVs with standard RCA connection (Red,white, yellow cable).

Prefer to use my PS3 with external hard drive for watching movies now though as easier to browse and plays MP4s.

Good piece of kit for the price I would say..

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

Personally I wouldn't get a media player uless it played MKV,

I have a WD and it's great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

I ordered a WDTV and a Western Digital 1TB drive from Amazon Last night, £144 delivered, this would roughly work out the same as the player featured in the thread. I think the WDTV has one big advantage over an all-in-one unit (besides playing 1080p and iso's), I've had a lot of these types of players and they all have a certain life span. If there is a problem with the drive it a case of bin it or pay for repairs, with the WDTV if the external drive goes it does'nt affect the functionality of the WDTV.

kingaaa wrote: »
    I ordered a WDTV and a Western Digital 1TB drive from Amazon Last night, £144 delivered, this would roughly work out the same as the player featured in the thread. I think the WDTV has one big advantage over an all-in-one unit (besides playing 1080p and iso's), I've had a lot of these types of players and they all have a certain life span. If there is a problem with the drive it a case of bin it or pay for repairs, with the WDTV if the external drive goes it does'nt affect the functionality of the WDTV.

Have you got a link to these?

gnolan wrote: »
    Have you got a link to these?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-1080P-Media-Player/dp/B001ILFDCK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=officeproduct&qid=1259758994&sr=8-2

They actually do the WDTV, Drive and a hdmi cable for £138, but the vendor that sells the cable wont ship here and they also recalculate with the Irish V.A.T. rate, so for the 2 with the super saver shipping its £144

• Advertisement

kingaaa wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-1080P-Media-Player/dp/B001ILFDCK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=officeproduct&qid=1259758994&sr=8-2

They actually do the WDTV, Drive and a hdmi cable for £138, but the vendor that sells the cable wont ship here and they also recalculate with the Irish V.A.T. rate, so for the 2 with the super saver shipping its £144

It looks quite good, but i like the idea of a PVR. Even better would be a wireless streamer, which i think WD do as well. It's a bit of a balls really; the Dane-Elec has a PVR but no wireless streamer and the opposite with the WD Player - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Internet-Streamer-Television/dp/B002LZUHMI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259760955&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

what are you guys thoughts on today's IBood offer? Full HD media player for €95 HERE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Personally I wouldn't get a media player uless it played MKV,

I have a WD and it's great

What particular model do you have that plays MKV?

poochiem wrote: »
    what are you guys thoughts on today's IBood offer? Full HD media player for €95 HERE

I would say it would be far superior in every way to the all-in-one units, it will play more file types, you can use an external hard-drive PLUS it has network capabilities.

Advertisement