Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus remote key fob

Options
  • 06-01-2009 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

I just got a 08 focus and need another remote key fob (key not necessary as for other half just to open doors). Can I buy any one off ebay and programme it using my key (there is a part in the user manual that explains this) or is there a special type I should look out for?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

GerTipp wrote: »
    I just got a 08 focus and need another remote key fob (key not necessary as for other half just to open doors). Can I buy any one off ebay and programme it using my key (there is a part in the user manual that explains this) or is there a special type I should look out for?

You should have gotten 2 keys with remote locking/unlocking with the car I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 GerTipp

It apparently only comes with 1 remote key and they quoted me €150 for a new one, so I will try the ebay route, anyone have any experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I'm not entirely sure exactly what u want but if your trying to get a key from ebay and plan to reprogramme it to open your own car I'd say your wasting your time. I've never had this problem but that would be my initial thought on it. You would have to wait a week + for a part you don't know what to do with and even then the expertise needed to reprogramme it will cost you.

Ford are usually very reasonable for most parts. They even dropped the prices of some of their items in the last week. I'd ring them again see if they will do any better.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It apparently only comes with 1 remote key and they quoted me €150 for a new one, so I will try the ebay route, anyone have any experience of this?

07's came with 2 remote control keys. Check with Ford Ireland in Cork.

It was a 2nd hand 08 and only came with 1 remote key and 1 spare key. I want to get another remote key fob for my other half (she can use the spare to start\open it at moment it but a lot more convient to have the remote fob to open the car).

According to the user manual of the car it looks a very straightforward procedure to add new remotes to the car. I have found the model code of the remote and found a few matches on ebay so I just though it would be a simple procedure, maybe not, will have to do a bit more research.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

It was a 2nd hand 08 and only came with 1 remote key and 1 spare key. I want to get another remote key fob for my other half (she can use the spare to start\open it at moment it but a lot more convient to have the remote fob to open the car).

According to the user manual of the car it looks a very straightforward procedure to add new remotes to the car. I have found the model code of the remote and found a few matches on ebay so I just though it would be a simple procedure, maybe not, will have to do a bit more research.

Not sure about 2008 models,but with past fords once you have 2 chipped keys(ie that start the engine) you can programme a 3rd key yourself,just get the shaft cut in a locksmith & code it yourself,you can also program the remote part too.
    if you want the instructions for both PM your email;)

(i have done this myself before BTW & it works):D

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Darando

AFAIK, the new shape Focus (05->), new key fobs cannot be simply programmed by the user like the older model (this could be done by inserting into ignition etc..).

The new shape has to be programmed by the dealer....ebay will only result in a fob that will open the car but will not start it. Its a trip to the dealer I'm afraid, and yes you will be shafted on the price!! Its to do with the chip that is used.

If you do really want it done, then get the fob and blade off ebay andf then bring to the dealer for cutting and programming.

Its the same if you wish to get a flip-key.

Out of luck I'm afraid :(

All I want to do is to open the doors with the remote (it can be started with the spare, non-remote, key). Thanks for all your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,249 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

07's came with 2 remote control keys. Check with Ford Ireland in Cork.

My 05 Focus Ghia came with only one remote fob, like below, the other is just a standard key you turn in the door.

tc-i30-fob.jpg

LX, Style or Zetec models or models with the Connection pack might have different key fobs however.

Advertisement