Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FYP Time

Options
  • 06-01-2009 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

So here I am on January 6th, attempting to do an FYP which is due on the 26th of January :(

[for all the Newbs or 1st years, who dont know what an FYP is, it stands for Final Year Project].

Myself and Ninty9er in particular are the last of the old business degree who have to complusory do this FYP. The new classes have it as an option. I'm not sure about other courses.

My suervisor is absent until next Monday [12th]. So I have no one to bounce problems off until then, although it does give me time to actually write something.

To anyone else doing it too, THE BEST OF LUCK to you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Lucky you. Mine is away is Canada for the whole month!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm meeting mine on Thursday @ 11 and I've added about 10 words to it today, although the paramaters are 5000-10000 so 7500 sees me at around 10% done already.

Want to get about 1100-1200 done tomorrow and want it dusted by the 22nd so I can get twisted on results night, assuming ITD plays ball and Revenue gives me the grand it owes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Mossin wrote: »
    Myself and Ninty9er in particular are the last of the old business degree who have to complusory do this FYP.

Ah hem!!!!

Forgotten again ????:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

So here I am on January 6th, attempting to do an FYP which is due on the 26th of January :(

[for all the Newbs or 1st years, who dont know what an FYP is, it stands for Final Year Project].

Myself and Ninty9er in particular are the last of the old business degree who have to complusory do this FYP. The new classes have it as an option. I'm not sure about other courses.

My suervisor is absent until next Monday [12th]. So I have no one to bounce problems off until then, although it does give me time to actually write something.

To anyone else doing it too, THE BEST OF LUCK to you!

If you're in the habit of looking at FYP's in the library, look at those by Catriona Ni Laoire and Rosie Rogers from last years class. I can't guarantee they got A1's, but there's a good chance. Think mine is floating about there too, but certainly check out the girls work for general pointers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 playingpirate

ninty9er wrote: »
    I'm meeting mine on Thursday @ 11 and I've added about 10 words to it today, although the paramaters are 5000-10000 so 7500 sees me at around 10% done already..

7500 is equal to about 10%?!?!?!
    How much do you plan on writing?!?!

My supervisor isnt meeting us until the 15th,so im kind of at a loss until then,interviews not going great either, no investors seem willing to give interviews given the current climate!

And i spent the last two days in A&E, the stupid flu has been haunting me since before christmas!!

Sorry rant over!
    I feel a little better after that....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

7500 is equal to about 10%?!?!?!
    How much do you plan on writing?!?!

A typo perhaps....750 words would make more sense as 10% complete given the other numbers he mentioned.

Oh and best of luck to everyone doing FYPs

Yes you too DJCR, just in case you're feeling left out again :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 playingpirate

Heres hoping it was a typo, because 750 words seems much more in line with what i've got done!!

Are any of ye around the library?Is it manic?
    I've been avoiding it in favour of home comforts - I think the amount of business students that have more work than me and seem to know what they're talking about would just scare the bejesus out of me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Heres hoping it was a typo, because 750 words seems much more in line with what i've got done!!

Are any of ye around the library?Is it manic?
    I've been avoiding it in favour of home comforts - I think the amount of business students that have more work than me and seem to know what they're talking about would just scare the bejesus out of me!!

I'm in the library, and Klong will probably be along in a while [if he ever gets out of bed the lazy git ;)]

Its not manic here at all. I was here yesterday too, and it was a lot busier then. I'd say next week, and most definitely the following week it will be mayhem here and we try to finish this damn thing.

The cheek!

I meant my 800 was about 10% of the 7,500. I'm going to the Library to meet people for food later, but until then I'm starting at home....and my new clothes arrived this morning:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Ah yes. The FYP. One thing I don't miss about college. Although I did have fun photographing a manuscript in Special Collections because it was what my FYP was based on and I was fed up of trapsing in there everyday; it was far, far too lonely and quiet - I'd have finished my FYP far too soon! :pac:

Good luck to y'all doing it; you will do better than you expect (I certainly did anyway...)

In the library practically all day every day for the past 2 days, and not because I want to be, its just that my house is so cold...12 months without heating now...and the coldest weather I've experienced in donkeys years :(

Anyhow, since I am spending my days here, I decided to try write this FYP, and I've surprised myself by almost completing Chapter 2, just over 2000 words written thus far.
    I also have almost 1,700 words of Chapter 4 written.

Lets just hope Deirdre thinks its good when she returns on Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I haven't even started mine yet. I don't even know where to start. At least mine isn't due until week 8. I'm too sick to think about it right now, and I appear to be standing in for one of the manager's in work. Too much pressure already without FYP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

yay for all-nighters with random crappy movies to keep you going at 4am on RTE during fyp time :D

Yay 526 words...short of the 2,000 target, but progress...although it does incluse 2 Harvard references:pac:

That's a great thing about my (second) FYP, references included in the word count!

I've turned into Very Helpful Vincent Henry on the Motors forum in an attempt to avoid my FYP.:p

Boards is great!!

I'm now at 596, and am referencing a guy calles Nobes, which I find funny eve if no-one else does!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jkeire

Best of luck to all of ye doing them!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

I've surprised myself by almost completing Chapter 2, just over 2000 words written thus far.
    I also have almost 1,700 words of Chapter 4 written.

Lets just hope Deirdre thinks its good when she returns on Monday!

She won't be too impressed if you leave out Chapter 3 :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Peteee wrote: »
    She won't be too impressed if you leave out Chapter 3 :pac:

Nice one;)

I also had Deirdre as my supervisor. What's your topic Mossin?

Me Julie supervisor happy me progress making. She say include recent changes keep FYP current

me sleep now
    zzzzzzzz

So where's the board FYP library posse today?

Nice one;)

I also had Deirdre as my supervisor. What's your topic Mossin?

Chapter 3 will be well started before she returns ... I hope!

My current title, [which has changed at least 5 times since September], is “An analysis of how advertising affects self-image; with specific focus upon print alcohol advertisements”

Deirdre seems nice, I havent spoken to her too much because the semester was so hectic...Trying to get her to approve some ads was difficult, this one for Bishops Finger didnt get approved by her http://commercial-archive.com/node/133746 I wonder why?! :pac:

klong wrote: »
    So where's the board FYP library posse today?

Up to the right of where we were the past 2 days....damn womens in out spot...I'm beside the window on the right...space between me and another fella

Bibliography alone is over 1300
    Main text of FYP without references is just over 2100
    Main text of FYP with references is just over 2500

Day 4 in the Library and David is cracking up :pac:

Nah, it hasnt reached that level just yet.
    Started Chapter 3, and have over 1,600 words written now. Going well I think.
    Practically Finished Chapter 2, and Chapter 1 is just full of formalities, so just this Chapter to finish, and then add another 600 words or so to Chapter 4...

Thats what I think I've left, but I'll have wait for Deirdre's approval first!

Back to it now

Sitting in the same place as yesterday Klong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gudman09

is it possible to get an extension on due date?:confused: just had shoulder op and one hand work is slooooow!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

gudman09 wrote: »
    is it possible to get an extension on due date?:confused: just had shoulder op and one hand work is slooooow!

Sure, "shoulder op"... you need to stop pleasuring yourself and get working on your FYP :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gudman09

Peteee wrote: »
    Sure, "shoulder op"... you need to stop pleasuring yourself and get working on your FYP :D

Harsh but fair! but seriously, would i be wasting my time looking for an ext?

Advertisement