Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FYP Time

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 playingpirate

Cheers mossin,

Im meeting my fyp supervisor on thursday,so i'll hold off until then.
    If i cant get the word count up to around 700 before then i'll be delighted!
    Im sure a reseach methodology section cant be too hard?!?!

God i cant wait to have this handed in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

I'm a little confused as to how ye are struggling to get the word count up...I had to edit mine down..and I struggled in with 9,890 words at last count

And a methodology section is fairly straight forward to do alright

So much for being below the word count..
    Apparently my conclusions are too short and require "expansion and further development" :(
    With only 120 words to play with, I've an awful lot of editing and rewording to do now...

Also my recommendations were limitations, and now I have another section to my FYP :(
    I'm really gonna struggle to fit within 10,000 words

**Expansions done
    and current word count is 10,184 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Mossin wrote: »
    I'm a little confused as to how ye are struggling to get the word count up...I had to edit mine down..and I struggled in with 9,890 words at last count

And a methodology section is fairly straight forward to do alright

Dunno about playingpirate, but you're doing marketing and I'm doing accounting. English was my worst subject bar maths for Leaving Cert and no paper I've ever seen on accounting has approached 10,000 words. They tend to be an open and shut case with a little analysis.

I now have 6 chapters as one of the issues I had intended to deal with chapter by chapter really requires a chapter of its own. it stands at 589 words including a direct quote of 110 which I've analysed to death.

If it CAN be said in less words it SHOULD be said in less word and I WILL say it in less words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

Apparently my conclusions are too short and require "expansion and further development" :(
    With only 120 words to play with, I've an awful lot of editing and rewording to do now...

Also my recommendations were limitations, and now I have another section to my FYP :(

**Expansions done

You dont actually need to be strict with the word count though - if you go, say, 500-600 words over that'll be grand. (iirc;))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

**Expansions done

10 per cent rule: word counts can be 10 per cent under or over. Gives you about a thousand words to play with, which is more than adequate to deal with anything, really. Trust me on this one: HPiSSers know their wordcounts! :)

rmacm wrote: »
    Something that some of you may find useful, if you need to submit your FYP in PDF format and you haven't got access to Acrobat Pro take a look at this http://www.pdfforge.org/products/pdfcreator/download

Install it and it'll add a printer to your machine so when you want to convert your Word document to PDF you can go File -> Print and then select the PDFCreator printer and it'll generate a PDF file for you.

You're better off using something like this or Acrobat Pro as some of the web based PDF converters can do strange things like mangle images in your document which is probably the last thing you want to worry about when you're submitting it.

This is a fantastic piece of software.

Cheers Rory!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

10 per cent rule: word counts can be 10 per cent under or over. Gives you about a thousand words to play with, which is more than adequate to deal with anything, really. Trust me on this one: HPiSSers know their wordcounts! :)

Unless you're doing a law FYP, where express permission of the supervisor is needed to go over the word limit. See Law FYP Handbook for this and other fascinating details!

7065 now, just inside the word limit if anyone's interested. AND in the library since 0920!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Alternatively if you too lazy to install - https://www.pdfonline.com/convert_pdf.asp

Used it few times, works perfectly, get it in your email attached in 2 mins.

klong wrote: »
    Unless you're doing a law FYP, where express permission of the supervisor is needed to go over the word limit. See Law FYP Handbook for this and other fascinating details!
    7065 now, just inside the word limit if anyone's interested. AND in the library since 0920!

The booklet that no-one ever pays much attention to......

(not even the supervisors!;))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 playingpirate

Just booked mine in to be binded, saturday morning at half eight,yuck
    He only does hard back binding aswell, but at hes the only place in waterford who does it,random....

Anyways, word count is just under 7000 hoping that all the formatting im going to do will get it over the line!
    Still have an interview to do aswell and commentry on it
    If Tom Parlon would ever call me back.....
    ....so looks like i'll be getting it up to 8000-ish if im lucky...

Im just really hoping my supervisor doesnt cut over 2000 words like he did last week.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

The word counting algorithm in MS Word used to be a bit dodgy too and was never really accurate but as far as I know it's improved in more recent versions. Can be a pain in the arse when you're using word counts to get quotes for translation of documentation.

dK1NG wrote: »
    You dont actually need to be strict with the word count though - if you go, say, 500-600 words over that'll be grand. (iirc;))

To quote the KBS FYP Booklet for 2009 class:
    Students are required to submit an FYP document of between 5,000 and 10,000 words (maximum). The word count excludes Bibliography/References and the Appendices. Students are required to include the word count on the title page of their FYP.

For every additional 1,000 words (or part thereof) after 10,000, one grade will be subtracted from the lower of the two grades received.

So does part thereof include just a few words? Or am I misinterpreting that?
    klong wrote: »

Good work Klong...typical that you'd be up early the day I dont bother going in :)

I'm just about to write my Abstract, and then I'm finished :D
    Just have to get it printed this afternoon then!

To quote the KBS FYP Booklet for 2009 class:

Fairly sure what I said re the law booklet applies to BS -
    The booklet that no-one ever pays much attention to......

(not even the supervisors!;))

:D

Fairly sure what I said re the law booklet applies to BS -

That may be so, but I dont think its worth potentially losing a grade over!

Thats why my FYP is a respectable 9,996 words :D

Finally finished my abstract too.
    In to college now to try an get it printed and out of the way!

After such a good day yesterday got nowt done today. WILL be finished by Library close tomorrow at somewhere around 6500 words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

Does anyone know what the story is with printing and binding FYPs in Snap? Do you have to book a time, if you're getting it done during week 1?

Shyster wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the story is with printing and binding FYPs in Snap? Do you have to book a time, if you're getting it done during week 1?

I got mine printed and bound in SNAP yesterday.
    I just walked in and got it done, but it is early like.
    They were surprised, and I assume that lots of people had been in booking slots.

I'd just go in and ask.

As for price, I got 2 colour prints [104 pages total] and bound, and it came to €41.20

My supervisor couldn't meet me tuesday so is meeting me in the morning instead. I'm going to be pressed against the BOTTOM end of the limit with a total so far of 4191 words with 4 of 6 chapters draft complete an intro of 196 words and conclusion of 561 included in that figure. Bibliography currently stands at 282 words and about 250 words of direct quote in total.

I'll be self printing....should be no more than 120 pages in total for 3 copies (one for meself)...get some nice paper and get it bound in town on Saturday.

I know the paper doesn't matter, but I'd prefer it to be nice thick vinyl style paper, might even print it on silk:D. For the once in a lifetime I'm actually going to have to do this crap I may as well package it nicely to have it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭So Many Shoes

Does anyone know if we have to had it up in PDF style? And do we have to hand up 2 paper versions of it? I thought it was just one soft bound one and one on a disc?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

It would help if you told us which course you're doing.

Alternatively, I'm sure you were given an FYP handbook, on which submission requirements are detailed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭So Many Shoes

Sorry I'm doing BBS. I had just noticed that mossin and ninty9er (in BBS i think!) had said about printing it out a couple of times and I began to get worried! Thinking about it now, I think it is 2 paper ones...

Just wondering about the pdf thing though!

Thanks Klong!

ninty9er wrote: »
    I know the paper doesn't matter, but I'd prefer it to be nice thick vinyl style paper, might even print it on silk:D. For the once in a lifetime I'm actually going to have to do this crap I may as well package it nicely to have it.

Yeah, I so thought that too... I got special nice paper for the title page and back cover that would co-ordinate with the colour of the text of the chapter titles. My most perplexing moments were deciding on these colours and the actual font I'd use. I used Times New Roman in the end, but increased the kerning. I definitely spent more time doing the design and layout than was probably necessary. Oh well. I now have no idea where my copy is at all. Double oh well. :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Yeah, I so thought that too... I got special nice paper for the title page and back cover that would co-ordinate with the colour of the text of the chapter titles. My most perplexing moments were deciding on these colours and the actual font I'd use.

Ah, at last someone who cares about design!
    I used Times New Roman

Oh wait!

Does anyone know if we have to had it up in PDF style? And do we have to hand up 2 paper versions of it? I thought it was just one soft bound one and one on a disc?

Thanks!

Yeah I'm in BBS, and I handed up 2 printed versions and a copy on disc which was in PDF format...The woman in the office wanted all 3 from me anyhow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

My most perplexing moments were deciding on these colours and the actual font I'd use. I used Times New Roman in the end

Jesus..it it perplexed you so much you went with the default font. *shudder*

/awaits sceptres input on fonts and such

Editor fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Kudos

Woo FYP, I think I'm the only person who is enjoying it :P

The 70% practical programming, 20% report ratio I have has a lot to do with though ;)

The other 10% is for meetings/proposal/demo/other bull****, which I've already bagged with my proposal and presentation (I was the only person to not simply read my slides from the projector, for starters).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

lol...69 posts by kudos :pac:

draft final just sent....as an email followed by another with the attachment:rolleyes:

goodnight sweetheart...and may I never be up til this hour for academic reasons again *sigh*

• Advertisement

Peteee wrote: »
    Ah, at last someone who cares about design!
    Oh wait!

kaimera wrote: »
    Jesus..it it perplexed you so much you went with the default font. *shudder*

/awaits sceptres input on fonts and such

Editor fail.

Yes, because it stated in my FYP handbook that we had to use TNR for the text of the project. Then I was going to experiment for the chapter titles and stuff, but a sans serif just didn't look right, so increased kerning and in teal had to do!

Sceptre and I have had lengthy discussions about fonts. They're great (both the discussions and the fonts themselves).

Advertisement