Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic webdesign/Hosting/Domain?

Options
  • 06-01-2009 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

Im looking to build a basic website and aquire a domain name to use on it. I dont know much at all about this and need some advice. Ive been looking at 3ix.org they seem to have everything that i require and they seem cheap enough now a few questions:

Is a domain name and a host all i need?
    I dont have an Broadband account that comes with webspace is this important(Im using three)?
    All i do is design a basic website and upload with an FTP programme?
    Is there a difference between windows and linux (I use windows) web hosting?
    Do i have to purchase hosting/domain from the country i live?

Thanks, Hope this is posted in the right section.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Not allowed talk much about hosting but heres the answers to your other questions.

Yes to start off with a domain name and hosting is all you will need.
    You dont need webspace from your broadband provider, that is what hosting is, space to host your site and files on.
    Yes you design a site and upload it with an ftp programme using the settings your hosting provider gives you.
    Yes there is a difference between Windows and Linux, you say you use Windows but i think what you mean is you use Windows on your PC which has nothing to do with your hosting. For you doing a basic site it wont really matter, the only major difference that would affect you is if you were using ASP to design your site then you would go windows.
    You dont have to purchase either in the country you live in but in terms of support and stuff its handier if the company is in the same country, also in terms of listings on google if thats an issue it may benefit if the ip address is based here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Thanks. Ill be carefull what i ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

No problems at all with theory questions, but provider specific queries should be addresses to the providers in question. Thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Axwell wrote: »
    You dont have to purchase either in the country you live in but in terms of support and stuff its handier if the company is in the same country, also in terms of listings on google if thats an issue it may benefit if the ip address is based here.

We cant get into a discussion but the above is debatable. You could go local and end up with poor support also. As for IP based - that's been disputed a few times even on Boards. Is there anything concrete on that yet? Its something that's always interested me.

Everything else said s bang on OP - excellent advise so no point me repeating it! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Sully wrote: »
    We cant get into a discussion but the above is debatable. You could go local and end up with poor support also. As for IP based - that's been disputed a few times even on Boards. Is there anything concrete on that yet? Its something that's always interested me.

Its true you can get bad support here but I was speaking more in terms of the issues caused by time difference and trying to contact someone in the US and waiting on replies because they arent in work when you email and your gone home before they reply. I find the few Irish companies ive dealt with very good so cant complain personally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

The general rule is to think about where the majority of your website visitors are based. If they are in Ireland, it makes sense to have your website on an Irish server. Irish servers are typically 4x faster than US servers for Irish users.

It used to be that US hosts were considerably cheaper, but this is no longer true.

Also, most Irish hosts will offer 24/7 support. Pick a few and send them emails to see how quickly their support respond.

Advertisement