Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new tower advice

Options
  • 06-01-2009 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭

looking to get some advice on a new Pc for a buddy. Budget is €1500 max. He wants it mostly to run 3ds max, photoshop, any other design software, do some film editing and to be able to play the latest games out there. He needs 500Gigs of storage space, prefers intel to amd and doesn't care whether his gfx card is an nvidia/ati. Any advice for him would be greatly appreciated please folks.

Should this suffice his needs or is it overkill?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-113-OK

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

youd do alot better for that money than what you gave a link to.
    also, stay away from overclockers.co.uk unless uv no other choice.

look at the thread just above this from sanjero he has one super rig put together there for 1100 quid. throw in a monitor with the remaining money and ur sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Seems very poor value to me.

Something like this from Komplett.ie would be much, much better value and would decimate that build in every aspect - cooling, gaming and application performance, as well as aesthetics. For the same price.

pc-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

ok, thanks for the replies. Value for money is an issue and the system chosen is a quick example of the kind of performance expected from the rig.

I could build it for him if it's a case of gathering the cheapest components together. I would prefer to stay out of the equation and order a pre-built system for him though. Then again, I really don't want to see him as dissapointed as he was with his last poor choice -- a laptop.

He already has a nice monitor/mouse/keyboard, the components themselves are the problem here.

He was looking at a pre-built Medion system for €1499 which had me in hysterics, brought to you by our local shop sales guy.

Intel I7920 quad core @ 2.66Ghz
    1TB no name drive
    radeon hd 4870 X2 512mb
    USB 2.0, 2DVI + TV out
    8.1 (no info) sound card
    no name 8GB memory
    no name dvdrw
    network no name 10/100
    windows vista premium 64bit

they haven't even got the display model available at the moment but I have to stop him before it arrives and he goes and buys another worthless piece of equipment.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

TacT wrote: »
    He was looking at a pre-built Medion system for €1499 which had me in hysterics, brought to you by our local shop sales guy.

Intel I7920 quad core @ 2.66Ghz
    1TB no name drive
    radeon hd 4870 X2 512mb
    USB 2.0, 2DVI + TV out
    8.1 (no info) sound card
    no name 8GB memory
    no name dvdrw
    network no name 10/100
    windows vista premium 64bit

they haven't even got the display model available at the moment but I have to stop him before it arrives and he goes and buys another worthless piece of equipment.

That's actually a pretty powerful system (might be overpriced though). More powerful than the one you were looking at on overclockers. The no name stuff is probably decent enough stuff. I imagine the board would have to be fairly good considering it's an x58 and not some piece of shít most oems come with. Where was that by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Corsair Memory 750W TX SERIES ATX €118.83
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 4870x2 2GB DDR5 PCIE 2xDVI €430.17
    Scythe Mugen (Infinity) Quiet CPU Cooler €49.03
    Gigabyte S775 Intel P45 DDR2 ATX Audio Lan 6SATA11 €129.98
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 12M Cache S775 1333MHZ €274.28
    OCZ Technology DDR2 8gb (4x2) REAPER 1066Mhz €129.64
    Samsung 1TB 7200RPM 32MB S300 3.5" €84.35
    OCZ Technology 60GB SATA 2.5" SSD V2 €187.45 (for os, games, scratch files etc)

delivery
    (10.155kg) €15.78
    total (inc VAT) €1,419.51
    + the case of your choice (€100)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

it was in saturn, the motherboard is an asus but I have no idea which one

Advertisement